I found a 05 Gradall telehandler 9000 lb machine left over brand new What would it be worth as it is now 5 years old? Just a guess but if it was 75,000 now for the same model how much discount would you expect in todays market? Thanks. http://www.machinerytrader.com/list...6604468&GUID=585c5c9ed75f494695a898ea0970c92e similar machines of different years http://www.machinerytrader.com/list...8ea0970c92e&Pref=0&Thumbs=1&pc=11796&scf=true
I would suspect 20% less the original price ...and not much more unless a service record can show she has been moved ,and run a little to keep the engine clear ,hyraulic seals soft and the bearings in the drives from getting flat spots from sitting ..expect to see somewhere around 2-500 hr's on the meter .... once its run once it pretty much has to be kept being used .. other than that ..beat them down
Wonder how I would find original 05 price?
Good question ... there should be a black book of sort's ..call a dealer ,got a friend ..or an insurance company ..or just call a sales rep at grad..all ..how much do they want for it now ..
My 1998 Gradall with light bucket, tilting carriage was $70K new back 10 years ago. I don't know what they retail for now. I had an '05 TH460B Cat w/ bucket, outriggers and tilting carriage that was $92K new. The question I ask when you see a machine that was made 4 years ago but is still new - Has that machine been around the world - literally? Sometimes "never used" several year old equipment was ordered, shipped (sometimes overseas) and for some reason delivery was never taken. I would think that machine would be worth in the $45K-50K range, from what I am seeing in the market place recently. Depends on how long it has been sitting and what it's story is.
not sure how much new is worth vs. a machine with 3,000 hrs on it. Guess it's a crap shot with used to some extent. Used stuff is so cheap now. I wonder why they didn't put it in the rental fleet all this time. They have about 30 locations. He is supposed to call me this week. They said they couldn't find which location it was at after 5 hours. I need a rotating fork carriage and it may not have the supplementary hydrualics to have that option. I just wanted one more new piece before I croak :laugh
I ask them how they got stuck with it and he said they used to stock 50 of them forsale at their branches and it just ended up never being sold. Funny the Lull dealer was selling 844 Lulls in 1986 here for 73,000 no one even questioned it and he had the market locked up. I went south and bought one for 62,000 with 50 hours on it. He used to go the the dealer meeting and laugh how he was soaking everyone. That was Contractors Suppy Corp. He sold more Lulls from three locations than and one in the country I heard. I guess new manufacturing and design has kept telehandlers below what I think they should be if tied to Cost of living index. i think your right about the 45-50 range, I will see Monday if they call. I think the employee owned company probably wants to discuss the bottom line of the machine. If I had it advertised I would know the bottom price and where the location is. Surpised they didn't just blow it out after 2 years now they are at 4 years. One dealer told me one machine size down was 75 now so I guess this machine is now 80 but I can do more research on price of machine current model year.
We just got 3 new 2006 Gradalls this past year 2 9k's and 1 10K....No problems other than the so called OPERATORS knocking the exhaust off. If it helps any I can get the numbers that were on them. I'm pretty sure we received them from United Rentals "new" or H&E Equipment.
To you it's the same as anything else, it's worth the lowest he'll sell it for. Check the hours, call a couple friendly dealers and see what the low book is. Know what the highest you'll spend is. Give the guy a ridiculously low offer and negotiate from there.
That would help greatly if you don't mind. How could they knock off the exhaust where it is located? I really like the 10 with the outriggers. I was just looking for a machine with more rear visability than my Lulls. I just like the look of the Gradalls and almost bought one in early 90's a 544 but when I went to the factory I could not land up high like a Lull with the hortzontal movement Then I bought a 1044B. Are the 9 + 10 machines more cumbersome or slower than a 6000 lb. GP-6 model? I look at the JLG models also with the motor on the side and the 4 wheel steer like the Lull any advantages to either than you can express? I just always liked the look of the Gradall. Thereare about none on Long Island that I have seen. I think one place rents one out. This really is like me buying a play car more than something I really need.
I usually make a rule no spot emotions as you can get swept up when looking at something new or something you want. Just like a bid I never change my price in an office or under pressure, I go back to the office and think overnight. Even when shopping for a TV I leave my wallet in the car so I have to walk out and think not looking at it. Guy told me once you can always go up when making an offer and in this market doubt it is going anywhere soon but my luck it may be gone now that's why he can't find it. Machines I have now are good I just need to replace seals for a moth straight. They all seem to be going at once. I am getting a second wind in my business recently and being more aggressive and working with more interest.
A general rule in the industry is that machines depreciate 50% automatically in five years. As previously mentioned the rubber parts all have a shelf life. In my experience that usually is about six years. In my mind the machine has worn out that much through non use or neglect. If the machine is an open cab it will also need the seat cushion upholstery replaced and the adjustments freed up. The accuracy of the gauges should also be checked. Good Luck!
This place is actually 'fairly' close to me, I'm in York PA, across the river and down a little way. I don't understand 'he can't find it', you mean the low book? But it's not a new model and it's not making any money sitting in a lot, in some states with an inventory tax they could actually be losing money the longer they hold on to it. They'll probably really deal. I'd say good luck on the seals, but as long as the rods and cylinders are good it's mostly tedious work, and yep, since matching system components have the same wear, they go in groups. If one's leaking and the other isn't at least weeping, it probably will soon, Murphy's Law. John C makes a good point, sitting seals (and all the rubber) rot a lot faster than those being used. That's why the A/C compressor kick on when you use the defroster. Otherwise a lot of compressors would need R&R when they're turned on after sitting all winter. Pick it apart if ya go. Bob
If it was a used 4 year old machine with say 2000 hours on the clock it would still be worth 50K . One with no hours would have to be worth more , if it were mine i would want 65K for it and no warranty . If you can get it for less , i would say it's a bargain .
seals in my Lulls 85, 86, 87, 92 are just going now so i think the seals will be OK for a while. I see a 05 with 987 hrs for 46. They may of had it inside.
he said they have 30 branches and he can't locate it. I hope it is close to me. In this day and day and age I would hope one or two clicks on a computer and you could track a piece of equpment worth what this is. I see a 10,000 lb machine with outriggers for 29500 it has 2500 hrs. stuff is in freefall prices. http://www.equipmenttraderonline.com/find/listing/2005-GRADALL-534D10-45-94311737
But Dude, you work those seals alot. I've seen vehicles and equipment just sit for a full year before they move again, and every time something leaks sooner than later. But good luck and let us know how it goes. Rem: check it out good, ask for maint records. You can steam her, change hour meters, give her a coat of fresh paint, change oil, filters dress up the obvious, go to 50wt and some 'Mechanic in a can'....... Guess I have trust issues. Seen too many shenanigans, giving away my age yet? lol Bob
If this is a new machine is it from a dealer? of so does it come with a warranty?
yes I would imagine so but I will ask.
Modern is a large company and fairly reputable. If it is a dressed up pig I will be able to tell. Doubt they would leave themselves open to a huge legal problem. Today the world is full of scams so I will protect myself, thanks!
called today at noon and got no response after leaving a message.:sleeping Guess I know why they never sold it now. Maybe they still can't find it.
speedpup, if the machine is truly new, meaning that it set around, probably outside for several years, they would really have to make me a deal for me to be interested. What your looking at is not a typical new machine. Its a low hour neglected machine. Check the tires for dry rot and cracks. Figgure that most of the hoses will need replaced. All the oils may need changed because of condensation and being 5 years old. Hydraulic cylinder seals may have dried out, the same with other seals in the unit. Grease may have dried out in the pins. As someone else mentioned, the seat may need replaced. I'm not sure about the turbo, setting without lubrication might not be good for that. Having worked at an equipment dealership, look the machine over and see if it was a parts buggy, they may have robbed parts off it to fix other machine up. Thats about the only excuse that I can find for a machine to be that old and unused, unless its specked out weird. Honestly, I'd rather be buying a 2000 hour machine that was maintained for the same money or a little less over a machine that has sat around outside and neglected.
I know I could buy a 2-3000 hr machine for probably near half I think. I guess I'll hear sooner or later.
Here is the crazy deal! 05 leftover is 78,000 brand new 08 is 66,900 same machine.:notworthy :beatsme
It must be like Scotch , the older it is , the dearer it is . ointhead
the reason is the factory is giving the new ones away is what he said. They have had 4 layoffs at the JLG factory this past year.
well that explains why they still have it...
No numbers yet, But the 9k is just as fast as the 6k in almost every aspect. Depending on how you run your machine. I prefer wind open throttle when booming in or out or multi-tasking. Other wise 1/4 to 1/2 throttle. I really like the 4-wheel steer JLG, very smooth and precise. Cab with heat is also a plus. The one I ran had a variable knob that controlled the tilt speed which was really nice since we use them for precision work. And not every operator (or ironworker) knows how to tilt smoothly and safe with a traditional lever or button. The 10k is a beast. I have not found anything it won't budge, yet! We have several CAT TH63's that the Gradall and JLG will run circles around. Seems as if every month I get a call stating that an operator turned a CAT over by scoping out to far and boomed up to high. Also the cats will stall under medium to heavy load. Gradalls can pick there rated capacity at an idle it seems. I've never had the rear end come up on a gradall now that I think about it, I think it goes into relief before that happens.
They just started the giveaway this year. 08 cheaper than a 05 he will never sell it. Said it was or is heading to rental flleet.