Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Brand new Kubota SVL-90 Has no power!!!

grk82 ยท 2014-03-16 17:58

The SVL90 seemed fine when I did a demo but it was to cold out to actually put it to work on a jobsite. So after getting the machine out on some actual job sites to see how it performs I am very unhappy, the only thing it does well is lift a pallet at a standstill, every single other aspect the machine is very under powered. I couldn't even scoop up a bucket full of #4 limestone without the machine bogging way down and it was even worse in a dirt pile. My 2006 Bobcat T-250 had more power in every single aspect and the Bobcat was faster with one speed than the SVL is with 2! I am very disappointed with Kubota considering how great my mini excavator has been. I am taking it back to the dealer in the morning, they think the hydraulic pressure may be to low but I don't think so... We will see, I will update you guys soon. If their is nothing wrong with the machine I will most likely be selling a brand new machine...NOT HAPPY! I should have bought a new T-770!

Replies24
  1. #1Tags2014-03-16 19:11

    From what I've heard, some of the 90s need/should have the anti stall setting checked before sending the machine out. It makes a big difference if it isn't set correctly. My 90 has plenty O sack, it'll easily push out a load of 3/4" process, topsoil, fill, well, just about anything that's in front of it. Hopefully your dealer will treat you right and get it straightened out for you, nothing more maddening than a machine that won't do what it should....

  2. #2grk822014-03-17 21:26

    A guy on ******** said the same thing, I hope that is the problem. I dropped it off at the dealer today so I should find out soon.

  3. #3outlaw382014-03-20 07:22

    Any updates?

  4. #4grk822014-03-20 19:15

    They backed off the anti stall and bumped up the hydraulics 14% ( the most they could go without permission from Kubota). I ran the machine today and it has a little more power but still not what I would expect from a brand new 90+hp machine. I think its a combination of things, the depth of the bucket kills the break out force, the track design slips very easy, and all machines with e/h or pilot controls just seem to lose lots of power in the controls, especially when making tight turns on soft ground with a full bucket. In that situation (which happens a lot) hand and foot controls are far superior.

  5. #5KSSS2014-03-20 21:29

    Not all EH machines lose power when turning, I lose zero power when turning with a full one yard bucket. Hand and foot controls don't by itself change a machines difficulty or ease in turning from a power prospective. It is simply a manner of how a machine is tuned to respond and the power the machine has available regardless of whether that be mechanical, servo, pilots or EH. These different control methods change how the machine feels to the operator but don't effect the power the machine puts to the ground. The engine power, and selection of the hydraulic components and how they are configured will dictate the difficulty a machine has in turning or counter rotating (to some degree the weighting of the machine front to back affects the resistance the machine feels during turns). Certainly extended lip buckets reduce breakout. Typically the forces advertised are conducted with shorter lip buckets, everyone does it, it makes the numbers look better. As to track slippage, to some degree there is nothing wrong with that. These 90 hp machines make as much power as many small dozers but at half the weight. If they totally locked up with that kind of power, but smaller components (as compared to dozers), we would all be tearing up final drives. However, I am also considering adding the extra weight package to my TR320, I think I could benefit from more tractive effort as well. There certainly is fine line between power and effective tractive effort with these machines. Also CTL's require a different style of operating than do wheeled machines. Perhaps you need to alter your operating style to minimize track spin. I know I had to when I got this CTL, If we were not easy on the controls you could spin the tracks at ease. After some time on it, we have gotten much better at pushing the machine but not spinning the tracks. Pilots and EH do make this more difficult simply because it takes very little operator input to move the machine. With servo controls you could better sense when the machine was about to lose traction, but because moving the machine has no resistance in the Pilots or EH controls, sensing what the machine is doing is somewhat more difficult. Did you demo a Kubota before buying it? If nothing else get a hold on another 90 sized Kubota and see if that machine acts as yours does. If it does, than it is what it is, if not perhaps there is still something wrong with yours.

  6. #6grk822014-03-20 21:56

    Thanks for the reply. As for the track vs. wheeled machines go its been years since I've used a wheeled machine. My last CTL was a Bobcat T-250 with hand and foot controls, I'm 31 now and I think I started running hand and foot controls when I was about 8 years old at my parents farm, so after that many years in a machine I'm obviously vey comfortable in it and know exactly what the machine is capable of doing. I switched to pilot because that's what all the employees like to use because it is easier to learn, but for me it takes all the feel out of the machine... My T250 had compolast tracks, they got much better traction because of the design but still not to much that it would tare up the wheel motors, I wish Kubota offered different track options. I think I might just need some more time in the Kubota before I know for sure how I feel about it. Before I bought a new CTL I tried a CAT, Bobcat and Kubota. The Cat was on my **** list because I had a 287B that seemed like it was always broke down (bought new) but I tried it anyway because of the new track design and the lease price was great! The Bobcat I was obviously the most comfortable in but I don't like the track design, it clogs up very easy, hard to clean and as a result burns up wheel motors, (mine burned up before the compolast tracks, and it was common on that machine). I was pretty set on getting the Bobcat but my local Kubota dealer is great and I love my U55 so I wanted to atleast give them a chance. I love the Kubota cab and door far more than any other machine, it's simple and roomy. I also liked the track design. The Kubota had more power than the Cat but less than a new Bobcat T770. I have ran another brand new SVL90 and it has the same power as mine, I am starting to think I just don't have a feel for the machine but I'm not sure?

  7. #7lumberjack2014-03-20 22:21

    I have a SVL90-2 on order, should be here in 10-14 days. I'll let you know how it compares to my Mustang MTL325 (Tak TL250). It was between the SVL90-2 and the T770. The bigger cab, roll up door, quieter cab, and vastly superior undercarriage design (for cleaning) were a big points for me. Peak aux hp difference between the 90 and the T870 was only 4.4hp, and the SVL peaks at 3500psi vs 2500psi for the T870. I have a KX057, so matching paint is a good thing. Price point between Kubota and Bobcat was ~$3100ish favoring the Kubota. I ordered the biggest bucket with teeth. We'll see how it does, I nearly changed it to a BOCE or the shortest tooth bucket for better digging force. I have a BOCE 1 yard bucket on the Mustang. The tracks do look less aggressive than the Mustang's tracks, we'll see how that translates performance wise. I agree swapping control systems will take some getting used to before you can access the potential of the machine and understand how to exploit its nuances. I admit your post here an on TBN made me a bit nervous, but it quickly passed!

  8. #8lake side bob2014-03-20 23:46

    LUMBERJACK I AM NOT AWARE OF YOUR REFERENCE TO "tbn" WHAT IS THAT, ANOTHER FORUM SITE?

  9. #9lumberjack2014-03-21 00:41

    Tractor by Net.

  10. #10Tags2014-03-22 10:37

    I had my Cat287B for 10 years and got rid of it because of frequent hose failures and horrible support from my Cat dealer. I will say this for sure, the Kubota has better traction, will push more, and easily breakout of a pile better than the Cat ever did,but, there is no doubt that it took me at least a week of running it to get it to perform the way it does for me. Like Ksss said, it's all in how you run it, spend some time in it, I have found that if you roll on the throttle as you slowly add drive the thing will push just about anything without losing traction, as opposed to running it WOT and just giving it all the drive it has, hopefully it's just a matter of it being different than anything else you've run.

  11. #11murfdog2014-04-06 18:53

    So does anyone have new input for the Kubota svl90? I haven't seen any in my area, they appear to be a nice machine.

  12. #12lumberjack2014-04-06 23:45

    I got mine last Tuesday, I've only played with it for a little bit, I've been too busy with other work to play with it much more and it's been raining here pretty steadily. I'll do a video walk around at some point soon, maybe this week. No issues lifting the trailer, although that's not surprising. Sitting next to the KX057 I bought in December.

  13. #13outlaw382014-04-07 07:14

    Not sure were you got the specs for the Bobcat but here are the correct specs. Hydraulic System T870 IT4 System Relief @ Quick Couplers 3500 psi Auxiliary Std Flow 23.8 GPM Auxiliary High Flow 37.7 GPM None the less the Kubota is a very nice machine. It was a toss up between that and a T770 for me and I went with a Bobcat.

  14. #14lumberjack2014-04-07 07:41

    I got the data from the tech with a flow meter and two machines side by side.

  15. #15grk822014-04-07 19:25

    I'm starting to get use to mine, still not sold on the pilot controls though.

  16. #1690plow2014-04-07 21:30

    I didn't likey pilot controls either but after about 30 hours in the seat I really like how I feel after running it.

  17. #17partsandservice2014-04-08 22:17

    Has anyone addressed a low horsepower issue? Fuel pressure or boost pressure lose. If it has a charge air cooler have them check for leaks or loose clamps I have seen this many times on new machines .

  18. #18Digdeep2014-04-08 22:49

    I can't get past how loud they are in the cab and I've been in multiple 75s and 90s! They run fine, but half the things seem like they were afterthoughts- oil sight gauge down by your feet with the filler (with no cap) outside the cab, idiotic location for A/C controls (gotta stop machine and raise lap bar to change settings), can't get air filter out without tweaking the safety unless you pull the radiator out, hyd lines (known for leaking) sitting right next to DPF, A/C vents only on one side of machine, PITA to close cab from outside and I could go on with things that stuck out to me. It's a good thing they sell them so cheap.

  19. #19JNB2015-05-06 19:08

    Dragging this thread back up since there's been plenty of time to evaluate the SVL90. So...grk82, what do you think? And lumberjack, I'm interested in an update compared to your Mustang/Tak. Let's hear what you guys like and dislike. The reason I ask is that spring is here and work is in flat out go mode. I'm tired of my case...and it sounds kinda funny, but especially the damn door. It's between the Kubota and Tak.

  20. #20lumberjack2015-05-06 20:13

    The SVL rides a little better than the Tak since there aren't steel pads for the rollers to run on (rubber on the SVL). Another contributing factor is the tread design on the tracks. The Tak gets better traction in dirt, but the SVL should wear/last longer. The SVL is more stable/less tippy lifting heavy, although the Tak might outlift it in some applications. The Tak has more hydraulic flow in high flow, but the high flow is only one direction. The SVL has bidirectional high flow. Either way, I would get power attach for sure. The Mustang didn't have it, the SVL does. I want to say the cooling package comes out farther/easier than the Tak. The Tak had a hose that kept me from swinging the radiator over as far as I liked. The SVL rolls out then tips forward. Both have load management now I believe, which makes it hard/impossible to stall the engine which is nice. I figured you would have a hard time going wrong either way.

  21. #21JGibson2015-05-06 22:37

    Never ran the Kubota but they look nice. If I were going to buy a CTL I would be stuck between, the SVL90-2, Cat 289D, and the Takeuchi TL10 or TL12. Would consider a Bobcat or Jcb.

  22. #22JNB2015-05-06 23:04

    Thanks Carl, I appreciate it!

  23. #23grk822015-05-06 23:22

    After having the svl90 hydraulics correctly set by a Kubota rep and getting use to pilot I love the machine and it went from feeling weak at first to being the most powerful ctl I've ever ran. I've since bought a t770 and a 2nd svl90. I also have a John Deere on rent, the svl is,far superior. I've ran almost every brand except Tak, and the john Deere about rattled the teeth out of mouth! Couldn't stand running it.

  24. #24JNB2015-05-07 07:55

    Glad to hear the SVL has worked out to be stronger than your first impression.