Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

brazing cast – what’s too big to bother with?

didjit ยท 2012-08-13 23:24

howdy im wondering if there's a rule of thumb as to what is the limit for the size of a hole that can be brazed shut. I remember when brazing cracks, to drill a hole at each end of the crack and rout it out with a burr before going in with the rod. anyway, i have a hole in the link from the manifold to the turbochager that is about 3/16 and dunno if it's a waste of time to even consider brazing it, or if i should get busy hunting down a new one. i'm sure someone here knows the answer! thanks all!

Replies4
  1. #1Dualie2012-08-14 02:17

    I have seen a good welder braze up a 3/4" hole. I think 3/16 shouldn't be that big of a challenge.

  2. #2cutting edge2012-08-14 08:50

    Why not drill and tap it to 1/4" npt and put a pipe plug in ?

  3. #3didjit2012-08-14 12:23

    honestly, because I didn't think of doing it Which is why I'm here. It's also why i just slapped myself for not thinking of it. Thanks! This is a great suggestion!

  4. #4cutting edge2012-08-15 08:56

    :drinkup:drinkup:beerchug