Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Breaker or Packer?

Idigmywork ยท 2007-12-06 23:24

Want to purchase a hydralic concrete breaker for a 12-15 thousand pound excavater. But I also need a compacter... Why dont they make a breaker/packer combo unit? Can't the point be switched over to a plate of some sort?? :beatsme Anyone have any thoughts? Thank you

Replies13
  1. #1Turbo218352007-12-07 08:19

    Ive seen one like that around these parts. The outfit added to the bottom of their point. They used a flat point, then added progressively larger round pads welded together. I dont think it would work very well though. As a compactor tends to be on a high vibration frequency where as a hammer seems to be a quick heavy blow. Thats why you get a high speed thump thump thump out of a packer vs a slow solid TAP TAP TAP out of a hammer.

  2. #2ror76a2007-12-07 09:41

    I would say if you need a packer, by a packer. I would believe that the breaker would do both, but probaly not nearly as good at compacting as a packer would be. This has reminded me about packers and sheet piling, but I will start another thread on that.

  3. #3Tacodriver2007-12-07 18:52

    tamper A few companies make tampers for hammers. Here is one http://www.xygon.com/tamper.html We have one similar that we use with a breaker on our mini hoe. It works very well for compacting trench lines way better then a jumping jack.

  4. #4stumper1202007-12-07 19:01

    i dont know what those compactors run but i bet they are alot less than a hammer. my tramac cost $20.000 new and cost $5,000 to overhaul the bushings ,housing ,accumulator exetra. if im running the hammer it better be getting $2,200 a day .

  5. #5Dozerboy2007-12-09 16:58

    I have use them in the past we called them "Stanley's" I don't know if that was there name or a generic term. They did good getting compaction, but it was a little slow.

  6. #6Bucket Man2007-12-11 17:38

    Kent Demolition Tools offers hopacs and breakers. Your not gonna get Bargain Basement prices,but you will get an outstanding tool..I can supply info if you need some

  7. #7Breakerman2008-01-30 14:09

    Breaker - Packer - Bucket, all in one! It's called the Breaker-Bucket. Will be available soon at your NPK Authorized Dealer... in Iowa... See with Martin Equipment (John Deere) or Road Machinery & Supplies Co (Komatsu) or you can visit this website: www.picbucket.ca this website is complete with video clips of the Breaker-Bucket Technology. You can also go to www.npkce.com , they also have some info on their website. Have fun!

  8. #8dirthog2008-01-31 11:54

    breaker packer It would be hard to make one that does both well as the each work different the hammer uses straight force downward to brake rock while the compactor uses a excentric shaft to vibrate and the weight of the machine to compact the soil the compactor also uses a lot higher frequence to vibrate

  9. #9Breakerman2008-02-01 14:27

    Breaker - Bucket - Tamper :usa Well, you can see it for yourself, in your area, this Breaker-Bucket will be available under the NPK Breaker-Bucket Brand at: Highway Equipment & Supply Company http://www.hwyequip.com/ See how the concept works at this address: http://www.powertechci.com/concept.htm Have fun! :scool

  10. #10dirthog2008-02-01 23:36

    breaker didn't say one could not be made just that a 99% of the compactors work with eccentrics and they do that for a reason that is the most effective way to compact earth ! A hammer uses straight up and down motion by a piston to brake rock of whatever your bucket is made the same way except that there are 3-4 smaller pistons and points depending on the size of the bucket. They do not hit with the same frequency and vibration as a tamper will it compact yes in some cases harder that a tamper but also much slower rate. If you check Allied Construction Equip web site and look at the difference in the in blows per min you will see what I mean and all hammers work on the same principle.

  11. #11S. exc2008-02-18 20:13

    I've never used an excavator mounted packer and wonder how well they work. I need to backfill basements from demo'ed houses.

  12. #12Countryboy2008-02-18 20:38

    Welcome to Heavy Equipment Forums S. exc! :drinkup

  13. #13AtlasRob2008-03-02 15:03

    compaction Have you thought about a wheel. I know some of the drainage boys on here use them to compact thier backfill in trenches. I would expect them to be cheaper than a vibrating plate. :my2c