I have ever see this before I move to southeast TX we just used a hoe with a hammer or a tractor looken thing with a setup similar to a pile driver for breaking up concrete roads. I talked to the operator he said his company made it several years ago. He ran it from outside it sits in one spot for a few secs then he pulls a lever and the steel wheel push it forward a little while its hammering. The steel plate that its dropping looks to be 4" thick. The concrete was about 97% broke off the bar after he was done. Down the road from my house there is a 4'x4'x6' almost rectangle shaped chunk of steel on dolly wheels that they drag behind a tractor to break up the roads too. I'll see if I can get a pic of it soon. So has anyone else seen stuff like this before?
yes, i have seen this done before one time, Might have been on the history channel or the discovery. they were using that to break up an old airport runway. Seemed to do a good job, just time consuming
I saw a machine similar to that working in Jersey, but it was mounted to a skid steer. It is slow moving but it does a good job of fracturing the concrete.
they used a thing kind of like that here to break up a highway about a year ago same thing took along time but did a very nice job.
Saw one similar to that except it was a pull behind. It was pulled by a loader or in this case a JD tractor. It was fully mechanical. It had a big rolling drum with cogs on the inside diameter, when moving it would raise the steel block up about 3 feet and drop it fracturing the concrete. The only drawback that I saw was that it only dropped it about every 4 to 6 feet so you would have to run back over what you already did to get it fractured more.
I saw one similar to that on a highway job close to home here last summer. I never did get a good look at it, cause the few days it was there, I was always passing it at 40 mph. They used it to fracture the existing concrete road, at intervals of 10 feet or so, but left it all in place and paved over it with new asphalt, covered with more concrete, and topped with more asphalt.
Interstate Highway Construction in Michigan uses one of these rigs on their highway jobs. They break one lane, 3 miles long in a day. They then run a Cat 345 with a ripper. The 345 pulls everything apart. Then a loader and haul trucks come behind and clean things up. Seems to work pretty good for them.
It's a Guiten breaker. I have seen Intersate's, and I know I have seen other companies with them, can't remember where at the moment. Antigo Construction from Antigo Wisconson specilizes in pavement breaking. They have a few guitens, and some "piano" breakers. The Piano breakers are just like the guitens, but instead of one big plate they have a row of smaller plates (about 3" thick, 1' wide & 5' tall) that they pick up and drop in a pattern next to each other. They are an awsome tool if you have to break up a few miles of concrete pavement.
Also called Drop Hammers, Bobcat sells a small version for the skid steers, it's actually faster than a conventional jack hammer and the chunks are more uniform so running the concrete through a crusher is easier.
Breaker damage? Has there ever been a time when the severe pounding has has broken underground utilities? Seems like a water main maybe under a little stress would not likely servive the intence vibrations. :bash Just woundering...
Yes, but it could be from any of 100s of reasons. Unless the water main was in poor condition or very shallow it would be unlikely to damage it. Now old clay tile sewer lines you can look at wrong and break and high pressure lines could be a concern as well.
The job that I was on when these were used we painted out where all the utilities were and told them to not break those areas, we broke over the utilities with a 330 and breaker later. I don't think the breaker would have damaged the utilites, but you can never be too careful, espcialy when going over say a 30" high pressure gas main.
Found Antigo's website, check out the vidos: http://www.antigoconstruction.com/
http://www.stomperdemo.com/concrete_demolition.htm#Guillotine Also videos of breaker here. It also shows what I think Dumptrucker is talking about (impact roller) with video.
I think we hired those Antigo guys on our job this year on Highway 75. I saw that thing in action, it works great. We went behind it with laborers picking up all the rebar (so much rebar we made a load of money just on scrap iron on that job.) then we spread I think one or two lifts of A-base over the concrete, packed the heck out of it, set up the paver and paved new concrete... Actually, I'm 100% sure that Antigo was the sub for that concrete breaking... the machine we had looked exactly like the piano-style machine on the Antigo site, and I heard that the sub for the breaking was from the good ole' USA... :usa
Guillotine That is one incredible piece of kit. In the UK we have used " crack and seat " and Antigo breakers have been doing the cracking. The one that I saw had a 6ton steelblade and could be dropped from any height on its slide, and the forward speed movement of its wheels is variable so the weight can be dropped full height at 2" centres to rubblise the concrete or at 18" height at 8' centres to crack it, and any combination in between to get the desired effect. Crack and seat means that the existing concrete road which can be slabs 12' square is cracked or fractured then rolled with a rubber tyred roller to settle it. Tarmac is then laid on top. The problem we have had is that some of the slabs in our concrete trunk and motorways laid in the late 70 & 80's have started to move due to the heavy traffic. By cracking the big slabs it is posible to settle them down and overlay them, thus saving the cost and time of a complete dig out and relay. One section of the M25 3 lane motorway is so heavily trafficed that it was overlayed with a reinforced concrete slab on top of the original carriageway that had been Antigo'd, then topped off with a thin wearing course of blacktop. The bridges on this section of motorway could not be lifted, so 100mtres before, under and after each bridge was completely dugout, formation lowered then reconstructed so the additional concrete layer did not compromise the 16' min height clearance on the new carriageway. In these sections the Antigo guillotine used to rubblise the first 6' so I could get a start with the 360LC Volvo , then used to drop full height about every 3' which broke the slab up perfect for loading onto 8 wheelers. :drinkup
We have several of these around the Indy area. One company is a subsidiary of the company I work for & they work on them across from our plant, and man are they impressive to be close to when breaking concrete. They will get the job done.
great pics!
Antigo is based not that far from me. They have a different one too that has four seperate blocks on the back that move up and down at different times. I had that machine on two different jobs about 3yrs ago. I think if I remember right they did about 1/2 mile of 32' wide street in about 8 hrs and rolled behind with compactor with like a zig-zag style pattern on the drum (not as pronounced as a sheeps foot). We added some of the asphalt millings already milled from on top already where needed graded it out and paved over. Pretty slick.
i saw one of those in michigan,they were doing some side work on the highway they had a komastu pc650lc there to and some others like a cat 385bl
I bet the roller was a "williamson grid" think thats the correct name. The west coast guys should be able to help with the name
Which might make perfect sense because it was like a repeating "w" pattern on it.
they had about 3 of those large trucks just east of here when they tore up a 8 mile stretch of freeway there very interesting to see work. they also had a large trailer that they had hooked onto a tractor it had 4 gigantic wheels and they filled it with water and used it as a compactor. all of this was from antigoconstruction their website is antigoconstruction.com their western office is in boise idaho
Caught Antigo at work on I-75 in Georgia today. Lanes were shifted the night before last. 1800 feet in about three hours!
The production rate is nothing short of incredible. On one job the lowloader used to drop off the antigo and come back for me ( Hitachi 220 ) about 6 mile round trip. By the time I got off the lowloader there was room for me to go straight to work loading trucks :jawdrop :cool2 bloody amazing piece of equipment.
An awesome machine with awesome production, but it must take a heck of a toll on those trucks. Great pics, keep em commin everyone!
I disagree D5G, my understanding is the rigs are purpose built for the job and when you think about it logically it is the dead weight dropping in free fall that does the business, provided the guides are kept clean and free there should be no stress returned to the rig. :cool2
Antigo and RMI out of Tulsa seem to have the market on the crack-and-seat type comcrete shattering. RMI uses a sound type breaker that mounts on a machine similar to a small self loading scraper. It has a beam that moves very quickly with a shoe at the base that penetrates the concrete only a quarter inch or so. It will rubbalize concrete to 12 inches in depth and render it to gravel! Many times the rubbalized concrete is the rolled very heavily then asphalted over. Machine is called a PB4.
Thanks for the great pictures and information.
I read that and thought sounds like PA!! Antigo is a company that has broken lots of highways like that. They are doing I-76 ,mile marker, 6 to 8, right now. I know it rocks a400 Komatsu from 200 feet away.
I-76 in ohio?
pa, right inside ohio line.
i've seen these work...they are SLICK and FAST!!!
Those Impactors are the only ones I have seen around here busting concrete roads. They rubbilized many miles of I-65 in south Alabama with one of those pulled behind a farm tractor. Didn't have a chance to see them work, I was always traveling through there during the weekend, but the "finished" product was well fractured.
there is a pdf report named rubbilizing with bituminous concrete overlay - 10 years experience in illinois should you wish for some light tech reading... bobcat pitch their drop hammer as low vibration and therefore a good alternative to a hammer. i've yet to see one in use.
this was at conexpo 08. not a bad idea. little hard to see past when i sat on it. wat ya think
given you track backwards vision seems ok. those wheels look like an afterthought.
The ones we used in BC to crush rock on logging roads were called Elliot Grids. That's in Canada though, so you folks to the south may call them something different. If you're referring to the wheels that are up in the air on the back side of the impactor, I think those are the ones it runs on when in use. The ones holding it up off the ground are just for moving it around in transport mode. Brian
hey hoeman, got any more pics? Cool idea wonder how wrll it actually works.
nope only this one ill asl 9420 he was with me
Williams Bros concrete breaker Dozer boy is the breaker you saw in Southeast Texas orange possibly in the Houston area
Yep sure was. I see it on most of the freeway jobs around here. Several other have similarly built trucks now too. We have one, but its a POS and we don't use it. We have a "Barney". I think I have posted pics of it. Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
Lol not sure how I dug this up Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
Yup, I-90 just inside Ohio (from Penns) had one out there for a couple of years now, seen it working several times pulled behind an articulated John Deere farm tractor. Operators must have pulled a short straw that day.....looks like a horrible job running it.
We have one we pull behind a tracked tractor, and they ain't that bad. Starting and stopping is rough, but once you get going it's smooth sailing. Way better then sitting on a hoe with a breaker IMO. Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
Thanks for the feedback. It looks like it takes a certain speed, where it "hops" or bounces, is that correct ?
Yep. At first your draging it almost then it starts to roll. That when it's pushing/pulling you. A little speed and it gets pretty smooth IIRC we ran it in 7th gear once you got going. Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk