Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Broken missing “stud” at case model 33 backhoe tower

1970 CASE 580 CK ยท 2022-03-07 19:19

I discovered that one (of the two) main studs that should be attached to my backhoe tower is completely missing. I'm referring to this as a stud because there's some mention of that in the CASE manual but no part number that I could find. This means the weight of the hoe is resting on just the one U shaped receiver on the rear of the tractor I'm not using the tractor or the hoe until I get this issue resolved as I fear this could be really dangerous. Anybody else ever encountered or repaired this type of issue? At present I'm assuming I'll have to get something similar made up at the machine shop and welded on but I'm all ears for other suggestions

Replies3
  1. #1aighead2022-03-21 14:45

    I'm much too inexperienced to have an answer for you but are you talking about the stud/post that engages the boom lock? I think I understand what I'm seeing but I'm not positive. Is it currently holding the boom up or do you have the lock disengaged and the hoe is sitting on the ground?

  2. #2Delmer2022-03-21 22:48

    I think that's the detachable backhoe mount to the tractor. Yes, it looks like you'll need to find one at a junk yard and get it out, or have one made up. Does it slide into a socket and get held with a smaller bolt from the other side?

  3. #31970 CASE 580 CK2022-03-22 00:23

    Hey y'all Glad to be back o here, it seemed like the site was down for a few days. Aighead thanks for chiming in yes Delmer...it is in fact a missing or broken detachable backhoe mount to the tractor. I'm having a piece of 2 inch (chromoly) bar made up, "turned down" at one end to 1-1/4" on a lathe and will weld that in. I did dream up one or two other possible repair methods but this one will be the closest to original factory setup. I'll try and post some updated pics at that time...should have have the bar back from the machine shop fairly soon