Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

can boom and bucket hoses be reversed?

1970 CASE 580 CK ยท 2022-03-07 00:51

Hello all- first post on here so please be gentle on your responses I have a 1970 case 580 CK with model 33 backhoe, standard backhoe no extenda-ho. To me, my brain is wired for the boom control lever to be on the LEFT and the bucket control lever on the right...the way I've been accustomed to on another machines. This machine is currently set up for the opposite....right lever controls the boom and left lever controls the bucket. I will be detaching the backhoe from the tractor in the near future to do some clean up, hoses repair/ replacement, etc. was wondering if the hoses could be traced and then just "reversed" to accomplish what I described above. Once I detach the backhoe everything should be easier to access. Wondering if anybody out there has ever tried this? Perhaps this has been posted before ALSO: I have a missing pin at one side of the backhoe tower, the large pin that drops in to the U-bolt where the hoe and tractor mate up. I could not find a part number for this...I'm assuming I'll have to get one made up from local machine shop. But yeah, I did some degreasing and power washing and noticed the whole hoe tower is resting on just one pin! NOT GOOD but I'm sure very fix-able Thanks in advance

Replies5
  1. #1580bob2022-03-07 01:11

    you can but not recommended as valves and reliefs not the same and can cause damage to components do so at your own risk

  2. #21970 CASE 580 CK2022-03-07 15:59

    thank you

  3. #3melben2022-03-21 07:45

    The secondary relief valve pressures are different between those circuits, do NOT change the hoses, make rods to switch the levers, that is the right way to do it. the boom down relief is set to a way lower pressure to keep you from getting into dangerous situations.

  4. #4jimg9842022-03-21 12:23

    no

  5. #5Steve Frazier2022-03-21 21:32

    I owned a John Deere 410 for 15 years and then bought a Cat skidsteer and fitted it with a Bradco backhoe. The Bradco had Cat controls and I just couldn't adapt. I had the dealer switch the pattern, they mentioned the relief valves too but they took care of it for me. That was in 2000 and never had any trouble.