Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Bucket cylinder piston seals

eagle98 ยท 2021-04-23 17:17

Hello its been awhile but the machine just works so i"ve been lurking. I"m trying to reseal the bucket cylinder. The piston seals are the problem once the piston nut is torqued down it bulges the 4 piston seals to fat to go back in the tube without wreaking the seals. I'ts a john deere 410 1979 I'm using JD parts. DO they need to be resized. I don't want to wreck another set. I have watched a few videos on this nobody has to beat the hell out of it to get it back in the tube. Thanks for your help...

Replies12
  1. #1heymccall2021-04-23 18:27

    No serial number? Here's early assembly, assuming backhoe bucket (you didn't say which bucket cylinder).

  2. #2heymccall2021-04-23 18:30

    Later serial number

  3. #3heymccall2021-04-23 18:48

    Nevermind, both use the same packing.

  4. #4eagle982021-04-23 19:33

    Yes great pic that will do #s 3,4,5,6,7 is the parts im concerned with. When put together #5 is packing actually 4 seperate pices, when the nut is torqued its just to big to get passed the threads smoothly on the barrel. Im gonna try again so do they need to be resized before installation.

  5. #531302021-04-24 02:25

    Possibly over torquing the nut?

  6. #6berky2021-04-24 07:01

    Use a piston ring compressor to slightly shrink the size. Put it on and tighten till tension is felt. Let it set for 15-30 minutes and retighten. should help.

  7. #7Tinkerer2021-04-24 16:37

    Avoid dragging the seals over the threads.

  8. #8eagle982021-04-24 17:13

    when i figure out how to post a picture you guys will know right away how to help. me. there are a lot of sharp people on this forum. I'll be back...

  9. #9jimg9842021-04-24 19:07

    Berky gave best and most simple way of doing this, both hoses to that cylinder need to be loose, before trying to reload the rod/piston, be sure to lub all parts, over torquing will not cause the asembly to get bigger, if all proper parts are used, Tinker also gave important advice, lots of people think working on outboard and motorcycle motors think is a walk in the park,, also for backhoes GOOD LUCK

  10. #10Tinkerer2021-04-24 19:29

    Ignore everything before post #46. HeavyEquipmentForums

  11. #11eagle982021-05-05 20:51

    Ok i want to thank everyone for there help. I needed to resize the oil seal on the piston. I used a 3inch hose clamp and left it for a few hrs. I used a ratchet strap to pull it in the tube after lubeing up the seal and tube. thanks to everyone for there help Regards...

  12. #12berky2021-05-06 06:56

    Well there's hoping you don't have to do it again. Hose clamps are stamped stainless steel and all those little openings are like miniature knives from the stamping process.