I have an older mid size excavator (maybe a large mini?). Caterpillar E70b. It has two buckets, a standard size (maybe 24" across) and a large size for mucking. I need a trenching bucket for it. How do I find a used one that fits? Are there "classes" or "series" of bucket attachments that I should look for? And what is the minimum width these usually come in? Thanks.
My E70 came with a modified bucket from a larger machine for trenching 17 inches wide, with welded in bushings and half inch thick removable shims. But CAT 307 and 308 have the same pin diameter and dimensions. I bought a used Caterpillar 48 inch cleanout bucket and a CAT 28 inch digging bucket. Both made by CAT with adjustable width shimming. Look for buckets with a removable bushing that bolts in with 3 bolts. Good buckets. I got the digging bucket from Hunt tractor. Found them on MachineryTrader.com. Just google Caterpillar 307 and/or 308 buckets. You will be surprised. I paid around $950 to 1000 for the bucket and shipping. The 48 inch cleanout bucket came from Mich. and cost about $1150 for the bucket and shipping. Also...............search on here for bucket pin spacing and diameters. Someone (forgot who) published a list of excavator pin diameter and spacing widths and between pin dimensions. I have a copy printed out. If you can't find it.................send me a PM and I will scan it back into my computer and email it to you. With that you can determine what buckets will work with shimming or bushings. hugs, Brandi