Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Bucket teeth ID

AtlasRob · 2009-10-31 16:25

Can anybody id these bucket teeth please, original and / or aftermarket but remember I am in the UK. They are on a Riddle bucket I picked up at a sale, suspect its an Hitachi bucket and see the same type of teeth on Johns UH081 The pin I managed to get out is saw toothed and locks against a piece of rubber in the root. Is this rubber removable/replaceable I didnt want to abuse it and then find it is moulded or glued in, not that there is a need to remove it at the moment. I havent got a clue what SPC stands for so dont be afraid to state the obvious

Replies46
  1. #1vf9492009-10-31 18:09

    Bucket Tips ID The are 'Esco Conical' tips. The are a design that Esco launched back in the 60s and produced for many years. They have since stop producing them as once the patent runs out lots of aftermarket companies flood the market with them and they come up with a new design. They are still reasonably freely available from aftermarket companies such as this one http://www.bucket-teeth.net/ESCO-Bucket-Teeth.html I would guess they are something like an 30S - this is the size/model of Conical. Have a look at this table of dimensions and you should be able to figure out exactly which ones they are http://www.ematerialhandling.com/materialhandling/teeth/esco/esco_teeth.htm

  2. #2AtlasRob2009-10-31 18:21

    You sir are a genius THANK YOU. In my ignorance I thought all ESCO caps twisted on and as a result had written them out of my enquiries. And a very warm welcome I see that is your 1st and most important post now you've started its contagious I warn you :drinkup

  3. #3vf9492009-10-31 18:27

    Glad I could help!

  4. #4willie592009-10-31 19:07

    Welcome to the forum vf949. :usa Make another post at any thread (except TGIF) and you'll soon become a Junior Member.

  5. #5kaveman2009-10-31 22:03

    They look like the 40S teeth on my Kobelco. If you need retaining pins and rubbers, let me know. As is my custom, I went in and bought about 3x more than I thought I would ever need and then promptly welded the teeth to the shanks.

  6. #6stock2009-11-01 16:07

    Those are a Japanese teeth and to be honest are a pain,the easco clips and rubbers don't fit correctly and fall out after a short while, what I have done is cut two tapered pieces of steel sledged them in from each side and welded them in ,then spotted the tooth to the carrier where it can be ground free if needs be.

  7. #7vf9492009-11-01 16:21

    How are they Japanese?

  8. #8stock2009-11-01 16:45

    We bought some second hand buckets that were imported from Japan, two of which were identical to the the one pictured before the back was altered on it, even down to the adjustable bushing on the front pin, and after four sets of easco clips we gave up and repaired them as I said with no more trouble from them.Ask Colin in Riverteck!

  9. #9AtlasRob2009-11-01 18:09

    Thanks for the info stock. I will bare that in mind. 2 caps came off easy but the others need a BIGGER hammer I needed at least 1 off so I could see how it worked and also to be able to post the query on here. We all know a picture answers a whole load of questions. :drinkup on edit, Thanks for the offer kaveman, now I know what to ask for I hope to locate some a bit nearer. :thumbsup

  10. #10special tool2009-11-01 18:37

    Yeah - whatever they are, THEY ARE THE WORST CRAP RETAINING SYSTEM OF ANY TEETH EVER!! I have these on my Komatsu, haven't gotten around to changing them yet. You know, a logical, experienced excavator looks at those and thinks, "gee, seems like the digging force is perpendicular to the exit point of the lock". Well, you'd be RIGHT!!!!!! Once you get the slightest little bit of shank wear....try to crowd out some rock, or even soil.....see what happens. It ain't pretty.:Banghead

  11. #11Digger1452009-11-02 21:16

    As pointed out earlier they are esco's. We perimeter weld these evil things on as the rubber locks just melt when working with fire. You can easily unstitch them with the Oxy without hurting the mounting stubs. BTW, that bucket looks like the STD build on a Sumitomo digger, right down to the webbing and step bushing on the ears. I think the guys in the USA get them as rebranded Cases or Linkbelts.

  12. #12RobVG2009-11-02 22:35

    Yeah, they look alot like the 30S we use

  13. #13580bruce2009-11-02 23:04

    I can rember getting the next size up pins and keepers for a Hitachi.Check your local dealer

  14. #14AtlasRob2009-11-07 17:44

    Thanks for all the comments guys :thumbsup I contacted an old friend for his latest recommendation for a GET supplier as he uses a hell of a lot more than me. Short story, that contact forwarded the pictures to a contact and within 1/2hr, I had a size ( 30s) and a price for tips, pins and rubbers. The main UK supplier said they are unobtainable :beatsme

  15. #15Digger1452009-11-07 18:36

    Worst case if you get stuck, let me know and I'll ring my GET people and see if they know a supplier on your side of the world where you could source them (i.e. where they import theirs from). It wasn't that long ago I bought some 30S's for my bucket, so they are still around.

  16. #16cps2009-11-07 18:37

    Yea they can be got ok, I had a customer get them for a bucket that came with a Hitachi that he bought, the supplier said the same as digger145 said to put a stitch of weld on the top and should never move, so thats what we did, hav'nt heard anything more about them!

  17. #17AtlasRob2009-11-07 18:53

    Thanks to you both. :drinkup I have some coming through this contact without problem. It just tickled me that Esco's main UK dealer said sorry no longer available :beatsme

  18. #18RobVG2009-11-07 21:44

    Hey Rob, just out of curiosity what are they charging you? Here in Washington state we pay about $27 for the teeth and a little over $4 each for the pins and keepers. The metal (sawtooth) pins can be reused several times.

  19. #19AtlasRob2009-11-08 12:56

    I`ve been quoted £15 ea cap and £2 ea for a retainer and same for a rubber. What sort of quality they are remains to be seen, its not going on front end production work so I am sure they will be fine for what I want. I ordered 5 sets as at that time I had not managed to get three of the existing caps off, a gas axe cured them without damage to the clips or rubbers so I will have a few extra which sounds like a good move from the comments posted

  20. #20drrick2009-11-09 14:12

    is that considered a two piece tooth?

  21. #21AtlasRob2009-11-09 15:37

    Yes I suppose it could be called that as it has a root welded to the bucket and a replacable cap but I have to admit its not a term I am familiar with.

  22. #22drrick2009-11-09 16:18

    My bucket has a cast lip with square holes in it , these hold a root portion held by a keeper, and a tooth is then fitted over the root portion, also with a keeper. I can't identify the bucket as it is not a case or poclain. I have never seen these teeth in the equipment websites and have been looking for a replacement root and tooth. I will try to get some pictures, as my explanation may be lacking.

  23. #23stock2009-11-09 16:48

    Drrick! I think you are in trouble there with that one,the last one of those I saw was back in the early 90's when I gave a day welding the new carrier/adaptor portion in to one of those square holes as we were unable to get the proper tooth.If the grey cells are correct those teeth were mainly off drag line buckets of the 70's and early 80's. Might be easier to replace the cutting edge and put on some new gnashers that are readily available.

  24. #24drrick2009-11-09 16:57

    probably spot on with that. I use it on the ranch so I have just been doing without. I may cobb up something this winter for it. Thank you for the reply rick

  25. #25stock2009-11-09 17:00

    Sure you may post a picture or two of the great beastie when you get a chance.

  26. #26AtlasRob2009-11-09 17:30

    A picture is exactly what we need, I`ll bet a pint that somebody on here will be able to id it. I think I understand your description. The square hole is in the front of the cast lip and would be rather like the cavity left in a humans gum when a tooth has been pulled. The only place I can think of that I may have seen this is on the IH Yumbo excavator we had but I have trawled my files and have no picture of the bucket. This is it departing on its final journey I am sorry to say. Purely due to this question you understand IF I am correct ( I`m not normally as many will confirm ) the tooth tip has a long shank that fits into that cavity and I suspect you are looking for 2 parts when you actually only need 1.

  27. #27drrick2009-11-09 19:53

    a few pics of the bucket teeth and my hoe being delivered

  28. #28drrick2009-11-09 19:58

    a few more pics

  29. #29stock2009-11-10 04:10

    Drrick I was right,them is the hoors I was talking about either adapt a weld-on adaptor to fit in the hole and weld it there or look at working it until becomes a gummy gobbler then replace the cutting edge.Ahh shoot adapt a couple if adaptors it will be cheaper.

  30. #30Digger1452009-11-10 04:28

    WoW and I thought our Essco's were a bad design... Nice source of gravel you've got there BTW, you can never have too much gravel. Don't let the greenies see you in the creek with that that old thing though

  31. #31drrick2009-11-10 09:02

    That is the access to my ranch . It is a low water crossing. I have since placed concrete culverts and a dry crossing in the gravel. It should last until the first rise. We get flash floods on that stretch that can be as high as 21 feet. Not much I can put there that will stay. The old girl will likely live out her life in the back of the place.

  32. #32drrick2009-11-10 09:06

    Thanks, I think I might just try to add something while the bucket is getting some repairs on the bushings. I seem to always get the weird situations.

  33. #33AtlasRob2009-11-13 10:54

    Bofors teeth While looking for something else I came across this, I am not suggesting you buy this http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250447820064&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT Which raises the possibility that you are looking for Bofors teeth. With this in mind a Google search brought up a load of useless links but this one might be worth a further look. http://www.creightonrock.com/ground_engaging_tools/bofors_b_lock/bofors_b_lock.html The other intresting thing I found was that C@terpillar use a vertical pin system very similar to the teeth I originally enquired about. Are these a pita like the ones I have. Not that I expect them to be intechangable, just intrested. :tong I am suprised that nobody has either encountered them or commented on them.

  34. #34Digger1452009-11-15 22:55

    Just typical isn't it, everybody on the top side can get stuff cheaper than us at the bottom of the planet... I priced the 30S today, $54 (inc tax) per tooth - just the aftermarket tooth! Anybody know somewhere good to shop for GET in/near Australia ?

  35. #35vf9492009-11-16 15:17

    Esco 30S The aftermarket ones can be got for €9.50 in Ireland from these boys! http://www.constructionspares.com/

  36. #36AtlasRob2009-11-17 08:04

    I really wish you had posted that a few days ago, great link though and many thanks. Word of caution, dont ring them between 13:00 and 13:30 seems some parts of the world still take lunch breaks, I got a very polite young lady answerphone message telling me what time they open. eg **** off its lunch time. When I get through I will enquire about worldwide shipping.

  37. #37AtlasRob2009-11-20 16:47

    Didnt get as far as worldwide shipping but to the UK, 12 caps = 32kg = 78 Euro equates to 6.5 Euro each + 9.5 each cap = 16 Euro each. If I buy 12 which equals £14:41 each and I have been quoted £15ea for the 6 that I ordered locally. If I only want 6 thats 16kg and makes the caps + 9.6 Euro each for shipping.

  38. #38Digger1452009-11-20 17:01

    I caved in a got mine locally $54 aud each tip - 33 euros or 49 usd. As the machine is down for a while now, I'm going to hard face 'em this time. When it does go back to work it has to dig some dolerite (blue stone) up. I still think I have some 65 RW mig wire up the back of the shed somewhere... That will be another fun job .

  39. #39RobVG2009-11-20 20:41

    You pobably already know this Digger, but we take the outside two teeth off when they get worn and swap them with the middle teeth. We manage to get a few more miles out of 'em.

  40. #40AtlasRob2009-12-10 15:04

    Dentist finally showed up which is quite handy as I really needed to use this bucket. So far I have had to reattach 1 tooth, didnt even see the pin come out I feel a weld coming on

  41. #41stock2009-12-10 17:36

    nah nah nah I told you so :tong:tong:tong:tong:tong

  42. #42AtlasRob2009-12-11 16:00

    You did and I am greatful for the heads up else I would probably have lost the tooth. With your warning I was paying far more attention to the caps than I normally would do. :drinkup

  43. #43stock2009-12-11 17:25

    Delighted to be of assistance Rob

  44. #44special tool2009-12-11 17:36

    OOOHHHH-NOOOOO, I tried to warn you on the first page of this thread...... You got all new ones? uh-oh. You'll be spending time digging just looking for your lost teeth.

  45. #45RobVG2009-12-11 19:38

    :spongebob Nice one Rob, you put them on upside down. (Where is the 'hiding under the umbrella smilely'?)

  46. #46AtlasRob2009-12-12 14:57

    I think you were looking for this ...........:stirthepot . Only 5 tips and 2 of those are different so I put 1 each side to balance it.