Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Skeleton bucket is taking shape (pics)

fArMeRkNoWsBeSt ยท 2009-11-01 17:05

Oh hi there, It is almost done!!! Sweet. It is 60" wide, has 6 rock teeth and heaped holds 1.5 yards. Not a whole lot of water though. The hangers and pins will be put on next week some time. The components were shaped and cut by D/S Manufacturing and the welding was done by HW Supplies. They both do excellent work. Warren

Replies16
  1. #1Steve G.2009-11-01 17:15

    Looks nice, are you going to use it like that or make it water tight? I assume if you used it like that it would be so you could catch rocks and clumps but not sand?

  2. #2fArMeRkNoWsBeSt2009-11-01 17:18

    This is fort sifting stones out of fencerows and leaving the top soil behind. Our area is fairly stony and for the last many decades all the field stones have been dumped in the fencelines. Now if you want to take the fencelines out to make fields bigger you have to re-pick them. Without this type of a bucket you will lose a tremendous amount of top soil. The bucket will be used like this. I've seen some that have bolt on plates to make them regular digging buckets but I don't want that. Warren

  3. #3Red Bank2009-11-01 19:06

    That is really looking nice.

  4. #4trukfan2009-11-01 19:50

    That's a nice bucket. I converted a bucket off our old Bobcat 600 in to a rock bucket like that. I was to cheap to put rock teeth on it though. I just ran the slats 5" past the cutting edge, braced them underneath, and MIG welded across the tops to give some wear protection. I assume the bucket's going on an excavator, of is it for a backhoe?

  5. #5willie592009-11-01 20:13

    That looks really good F-K-B. What are you going to drop the bowling balls in to haul them off?

  6. #6fArMeRkNoWsBeSt2009-11-01 20:44

    We have only one dump truck right now. A couple dump trailers we have retired from grain to rock duty but they just aren't made for it. Going to have a dump truck cut up and made into a tri-axle for behind a tractor like the one in the pick. Likely we'll do the same to our old Dump truck as it is giving us a lot of problems lately and isn't road legal. No rules for farm trailers and our T7060's go 30mph on the road so they'd do well even if we are hauling the stones a distance. Warren

  7. #7fArMeRkNoWsBeSt2009-11-01 20:54

    It is going on a CX210. Warren

  8. #8willie592009-11-01 20:57

    Well, it looks like that rock bucket is going to be handy. Them boys need to hurry up and finish it, looks like you're ready to use it tomorrow.

  9. #9fArMeRkNoWsBeSt2009-11-01 21:37

    HAHA, no there really isn't much of a rush. Would need to put our 400hp Steiger on the little dump trailer to get rocks out of the field with how muddy it is. LOL. Plus we're just getting into corn harvest now. Will be pretty busy until about Christmas. But yes, stones is something we have no shortage of. I had to laugh, was cleaning up a fencerow that came up to the pipeline. The guy from the pipeline that came out when I called asked me when I was going to start cleaning it up. I told him I was nearly done. Had already hauled away 50 or so loads. All that was left was the bolders that wouldn't fit out the truck.

  10. #10willie592009-11-01 21:48

    I can tell by your pics you have no shortage of rocks. Your soil must be a glacial till material.

  11. #11fArMeRkNoWsBeSt2009-11-01 22:01

    Yes it is. Our farm is 5km north of the St Lawrence river. Right above NY State. That is where the Glacier stopped and dropped all the crap from the North Pole. HAHA. We have about 1-2ft of good black top soil. Then anywhere from 15 to 80ft of hardpan. Then rock. It is quite variable. Some pockets of sand, the odd ridge with rock only a few feet down. For the most part we are quite flat. Excellent area to farm. Warren

  12. #12willie592009-11-01 22:05

    That's funny, the North Pole flushed the toilet and it landed in your yard! But it does look like good soil.

  13. #13nedly052009-11-02 00:46

    How far are you from Kingston? Nice bucket!

  14. #14Digger1452009-11-02 21:26

    I'm liking the look of the stick rake. Was that a custom make job too? Got anymore pics of that? and maybe sizes of the steel used. (hint, hint)

  15. #15fArMeRkNoWsBeSt2009-11-03 19:48

    About 1.5 hours drive East. We are south of Ottawa. Warren

  16. #16fArMeRkNoWsBeSt2009-11-03 20:10

    I'm rather fond of that root rake as well. It was made by the same two companies as the skeleton bucket in this thread. I don't know if that makes it custom or not. I have a great many photos of it actually. HEHE. Video too. The rake is 60" wide, the teeth are on 10" centers. Teeth are 2" wide. Below the middle pipe the teeth are Hardox. Don't know the length of them off hand. cab view video YouTube - CX210 clearing trees with root rake in cab