A local contractor in the area had a couple of these but I've never seen one up close. I would guess they were from the late 70's - 80's maybe. They were on some large dirt jobs and the cabs were on the opposite side of most modern excavators. I know where on is working now but site access and viewing from off site is limited. What sizes were there, model numbers, etc.? Thanks Jeff.
Just took a peek at my Bucyrus book and found this: Models from the 70's were the 30 ton 30-H, 58 ton 40-H and maybe several others. Looks like in the 80's the numbers changed so there was a 35 ton 325-H, 50 ton 350-H, all the way up to a 115 ton 500 H. The units in North America were "Bucyrus-Erie" and the ones in the U.K. were "Ruston-Bucyrus" Hope that's right and hope that helps.
Thanks, I will try and see the one near me tomorrow. Anyone out there have any pics of them?
Hi Jeff, I almost hate to admit it, but I am still running a 30H here in the gravel pit on occasion. I can snap a few pics of the beast when I get a chance. Marv
Unfortunately this Demag 485 excavator is now sold, dont know where she ended up? She was a beauty. I spent many a shift loading coal and overbuden in her? Cheers, Ironbark. View attachment 84950
Same machine view inside through cab door. Cheers, Ironbark.
Waiting to load Cat 793. Cat backing under BE 485 Excavator. Cheers, Ironbark.
My left foot. Its a long way down to the floor. Cheers, Ironbark.
I'm loading coal with truck on same level. A mate snapped this shot from the cab of a Cat 793.
No comments about my legs please?
Last bucket.
Digging / filling next bucket, coal. After several years of this I was doing it in my sleep as many excavator operators surely know. Cheers. Ironbark.
Ladder up, thats the way home!
I'm streching the legs while I have a chance. Trucks are held up for a shot at the other end. My view across the Demag house roof to the north straight down the cut on a clear day. Cheers, Ironbark
I hope I'm not boring you guys with this? Cheers, Ironbark.
Sure not boring to me, I always enjoy pictures that show what others are doing. I am sure loading trucks would be some what boring, though I almost always figure out how to make what ever I am doing into a game. How fast can I do it, or trying to improve how my method.
Thanks for the pics, always enjoy more pics. I was looking for hte somewhat smaller machines like 75-100ton class.
G'day mate. The mining company's always doing that. The more we improved the load count the more they wanted. They even started cutting back on explosives at one time when coal prices were a lot lower than they are today, to save money making it harder to dig some sections. I think they were under the asumption that the dirt or coal just jumped into the bucket all by iteslf as soon as it touched down? Cheers, Ironbark.