Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Building A Truck

DiamondLTruckin ยท 2010-04-01 21:36

Something I've been kicking around for a winter project when things slow down is building a truck. Basically start off with new frame rails, grab a W900A hood and cab out of a salvage yard, I'm thinkin a 3406 A or B for a motor backed by a 13 or 18 speed Roadranger. Anyone have any round price guestamates for such a project and also any words of wisdom or advice? Thanks

Replies6
  1. #1Willis Bushogin2010-04-01 21:56

    truck I think with the price of trucks, you can find a cheap truck a bunch cheaper than you can build one KW hood $1500 KW cab $2500+ engine $4000+ rears $3500 Misc $4000 tranny $3000+ Thats over $15,000 and your labor, tires, tanks, etc A good road tractor can be bought around $10,000 The salvage companies really have high prices on their stuff Good Luck, but dont waste your time, unless you just want to work for nothing

  2. #2ben46a2010-04-01 22:00

    Truckpaper.com has some real good deals on old K-Whoppers. There was one in wisconsin with a 3406 and an 8ll with 40 rears for 8K. Some good deals to be had.

  3. #3tonka2010-04-01 22:04

    Check craigslist, my buddy got a good deal on a 66 925A model...$1000 bux out the door, in running and driving condition...

  4. #4Steve Frazier2010-04-01 22:35

    I'm curious how you would register/license the truck. Where would the VIN come from?

  5. #5DiamondLTruckin2010-04-02 00:29

    It would have to be licensed with a salvage title. I belive but don't quote me that you use the VIN from the largest or oldest component with a number on it. As far as building it would have a project to do during th winter when work is slow, I know that there are good clean trucks to be had for cheap for around 10K, but how many of their frames look like swiss cheese?

  6. #6Oldiron2010-04-02 16:17

    If I were to take on a project like that I would try to get a couple of parts trucks for donors because the little parts will kill you. :drinkup