I've got an '80 model R686ST that will absolutely drive your spine into your brain when roading the lowboy empty. It's got a camel back suspension, looks like the bushings are worn out on the main equalizer rod that goes from side to side. How hard is this to fix? I've got a porta power and some 30T rams.
should'nt be to hard ... the hardest thing should be getting the old seized bolts out ... use anything to get the old rubber out of the ends even if you have to cut the crap out ..... we used waterless hand soap ( no pumice sand in it ...LOL) the greaseee stuff, line it up and press it in .... or use a bottle jack and a couple of blocks under the back end of the truck if you have to .... the new bushings will probably not be rubber and will last longer too ....have fun
Brass bushings Is this where the brass bushings go that I've heard about on Macks?
Sounds like your talking about the bushings that go in the spring bogie pivot. I haven't done a camel back Mack, but if your replacing the bogie pivot bushings, be sure and check the spring mounts on the axles, I'm pretty sure there's some pads inside those mounts, and if your bogie pivots are shot, it's a good bet those spring pads at axles have gone south as well.
Ive replaced those shafts befor using a cat 75 ton sprocket press,they can be a pain just be ready because the shaft is probablly worn out also make sure you torque the u-bolts to spec i believe its aroun 1200 ft lbs depending on u-bolt size,retorque after a days use without fail or the srings will crack ive seen it happen.
I looked at mine and the trunnion is the two piece style and not the pressed in kind. Looks like it won't be too hard to butcher.