Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Bulldog Titan with 605 Horses Ready for Work

gd10r ยท 2010-03-05 15:51

Had to run to the Cat Dealer and always go the extra mile to drive by the BIG Ames construction yard. Saw this all shined up and ready to go to work. Driver was in the cab and said it has a 605 HP engine under the hood. Im a KW guy but admit this is one fine looking truck. Graham

Replies22
  1. #1Will Musser2010-03-05 21:07

    I think I ran with that truck when it left the dealer from about Vernon, Tx to Amarillo. I like it but I'm not sure how I feel about the big gap under the sleeper. I think I'd have to build a set of slide out tool boxes to fill that gap.

  2. #2Eric2010-03-05 21:54

    I've got a brother in law that works for Ames in Phoenix... I'm gonna have to see if that's what all there transports are going to be. I agree about the sleeper, but dang that's a great truck.

  3. #3KW3182010-03-06 05:22

    Mack Sleeper I searched all over the web for a photo of an American Titan with a sleeper, I did find one on the Mack web site, but I couldn't copy it. It did show a filler panel under the sleeper, that sleeper really doesn't do justice to the good looks of the Titan, but I would think that most Titans will be day cabs. Perley from Pelletier (American Loggers) did say they have some new Titans (might be sleepers?), but so far I haven't seen one in the new episodes. By the way - I still think that show is one of the best - lot's of equipment, and not too much drama. Anyways, I did find this photo of a Mack with a sleeper that was also missing a filler panel under the sleeper! You'd think they'd get it right by now :cool2

  4. #4amtronic2010-03-06 10:37

    I think the recess is for saddle tank clearance. We had a Mack LJ B-73 with the integrated sleeper cab and frame mounted fuel tanks. The bottom cab line was straight from the fenders all the way around the back. Man it was good looking even as a plain jane. Went off US-27 into a canal outside Miami. Driver lived but I hated him for killing the truck.

  5. #5passat662010-03-07 15:57

    I was in Phoenix a couple weeks ago and Ames has another Titan just like this one with the sleeper. I haven't seen any Ames' Titans as day cabs yet. I would like to see a Titan loaded with a lowboy trailer. Maybe someone can get that picture an post it

  6. #6Paystar2010-03-07 19:52

    Nice, but that is the reason I can't wait for the upcoming factory installed sleeper Mack said they will be offering. The cabs sit soooo high on the Titans with the air filters being located under the cab. The one that is in the Bulldog magazine from Alberta Canada has a much nicer looking bunk, made by Mik-Mak out of New Liskeard, Ontario. It was a high rise that matches the bottom lines of the cab. I saw some Titans (off road dump and log tractors) with the planetary rear axles......they look cool. passat66.....my computer is baffed here so I can't get my pics up, but if you look up my local Mack dealers web site All North Trucks in Ontario Canada, they had pics of the Titans on the lot hooked to four axle JC lowbeds and Titan walking floors. (unless they are sold and not listed anymore?) It was also interesting to see the Titan parked next to a CL and a Superliner. It looks huge in comparison.

  7. #7monster truck2010-03-21 23:35

    I agree that the sleeper doesnt look right but there is a reason for it. The Titans cab is lifted off of the frame farther than any of thier other trucks. It is designed to have the air come through the radiator, go under the cab and out the back between the cab and frame for better cooling of the engine. I would bet that there are no bottom skirts on that sleeper so the air has somewhere to exit with that solid headache rack blocking the path out the back.

  8. #8Blue Collar2010-03-23 21:30

    That is a really nice tractor, but with a rig like that i bet he isnt home much

  9. #9DiamondLTruckin2010-03-23 22:58

    I bet she rides rough!

  10. #102stickbill2010-03-23 23:08

    With air ride it will be smooth.But the Macks I drove you had to be drunk because they wondered all over the road.Hit a groove are get to close to the edge and away you went. Around here they are having lots of trouble with the Regeneration system.

  11. #11DiamondLTruckin2010-03-24 14:49

    I know a guy who has had a couple cams put in his 08? or 09 Granite with a corprate motor.

  12. #12245dlc2010-03-24 18:02

    I'm driving a Mack Granite tandem axle dump truck these days. The only thing I like about it is the fat tires on the front axle and the four way lock up. I think my boss must have spec'd the lowest end air ride suspension he could find cause the thing is as rough as spring ride, plus I find the 350 horsepower engine quite gutless too. I'd take the 2000 Volvo I was driving before over that thing any day.

  13. #132stickbill2010-03-24 20:03

    The guy I work for has an 2008 One camshaft one turbo and little sensors all on recalls.The 2008 and newer have Volvo engines in them.Got an 2007 460 18 spd.gutless truck no low end toque.

  14. #14DiamondLTruckin2010-03-24 20:09

    One thing I'll say about them they won't handle switchbacks like our T800 will. 475 Cat with 18 spd.

  15. #152stickbill2010-03-25 10:58

    Mack used to make good work trucks.Not comfortable but tough.Then they went to building fancy trucks for the highway.Then here comes the EPA Tree Huggers.Lots of Loggers and Heavy Haul went to KWs,Petes and Western Star.

  16. #16Turbo218352010-03-26 12:55

    Finally had a titan show up around here. Not a bad looking truck, but I wonder how they will hold up.

  17. #17KW3182010-03-27 02:38

    American Loggers to visit the Mack plant on 4/2/10 The preview tonight (3/26/10) for next weeks American Logger (4/2/10) will have a story about the Pelletier's going to the Mack factory, to see their new Titan being built.

  18. #18DEERE310SG2010-09-04 14:52

    That is a nice truck.

  19. #19Leshik2010-09-08 17:32

    wow good looking mack

  20. #202stickbill2010-09-09 20:47

    Too short for a good ride.They will be coming to a shop near you.Thanks to the new EPA Pollution System.

  21. #21granitefan7132010-10-08 07:44

    How's this for a tri-axle dump? (It has 605hp and an 18 spd)

  22. #22Speedfill2011-04-05 13:39

    Maybe a little bit overkill for a dump truck....Unless if you need to pull a heavy trailer. Anyways,that Mack looks great in any configurations!!!!