I'm wanting to get headsets with microphones like the gold rush guys have, I think it will (keep the guys off their phones:Banghead) and pay more attention to the actual job. In the past we used cb radios an odd channel or motorolla's always have to stop to hear better or grab the hand mic which takes away from what you were doing the worst is stopping and getting out to get some since in a greenhorns head of what he actually needs to be doing. 1. Any ideas on head sets
Working in a comm shop I can tell you that head sets are not cheap or easy to make work reliably.
http://www.soneticscorp.com/industries/construction/
We used speakers with microphones in our cranes for operator communication. In the tower cranes we used foot operated buttons to activate the microphones as the controls were all hand operated. The voice activated ones always had to much background noise clutter to be effective.
These are very nice thanks lantraxco yes, I'm sure they are expensive they could be very useful and save time and money maybe Santa could drop some off.
I also work in a comm shop and lately we have been selling audio accessories from these people http://www.impactcomms.com/ They have equipment priced from cheap to platinum plated. Their stuff is made to work in conjunction with a two-way radio, portable or mobile. A quality low end portable radio costs approx. $300.00 and the dual muff headset about the same. You can add-in a wireless push to talk button and your at $650.00 per man. If you don't already have one you will need a FCC license and an assigned frequency. About $500.00 good for 10 years and then renew for about half that. One thing that I have learned by being in the communications business for 40 years is two way radios will make you money, no different than any other tool. Happy Thanksgiving to all!
I think those headsets are a good deal in a rops cab where no hard hat is required, not sure they would work on the ground where a hard hat is mandatory. We use small Motorola radios clipped to the shoulder loop on a hi vis vest, not good for noisy machines but better than nothing.
We had a simple company rule for getting around that problem. No cell phones in on the job, either in machines or on the ground apart from the supervisor/foreman. They either stay in the employee's vehicle or can be locked away in the change room (on jobs large enough to have one). Employees could use their cellphones in their own time, i.e. before/after work, during coffee/smoke breaks, & lunch hour. The rest of the time no......
Sensear makes really nice stuff but not real cheap. The ones I have are Bluetooth with a boom mic and capable of being plugged into many two way radios. Hey even make some with radio's built in but they are like $2k, the ones I have are about $650. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This is the model for use with helmets. a strap over the head and the metal spring part behind. I'm with you on heavy duty dual muff headsets being a bit much to work in all day, especially if is hot. http://www.impactcomms.com/product_info.php?products_id=377 The last ones we sold to construction contractors was crews doing horizontal boring. Most get sold to firemen running a fire engine pump panel.
Yep and if they break the rule just once sack em on the spot.
yep couple big jobs with 2 shifts running the rule was 3 strikes your out the guys that currently help me are 1 my son and the others are guys that have been with me for a while I jump them once and a while, most of the time even I cant get them to answer their phones they are either dead batteries or in their vehichle I really don't have a problem with them while they are in a machine they just don't hear well over the tractor noise and they probably think I'm shouting at them for doing something wrong but I'm not I don't like to shut off the engines for a quick talk I lost a new d4k engine from what I think the operator was at falt new machine had 1800 hrs and the engine ran away on the engine oil as the turbo went out this guy would work the machine hard and every time some one needed to tell him something it got shut off he is no longer with me. I really think this would help daily production all my tractors have ac/heaters
The sensear headset I use I have been standing on the deck of a running d10n and on the phone using the Bluetooth. the person on the other end had no idea, they said it sounded different but could hear me just fine. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
We use portable UHF radios with david Clark headsets. They are pricey but they work and in most cases I can have the david clarks refurbished by our radio shop.
I was going to say David Clark but I figured nobody outside government or aviation would ever drop that kind of money.
Come Monday I will be on the phone calling . Thanks
I have a pair of Sordins. They require a U94 Push-To-Talk or something else with an amplifier to function correctly. I picked them up from a a guy that used them as his primary earpro while shooting and got tired of messing with the boom mic and downlink when he didn't have a radio, so i got a screaming deal. The cool thing about these is the function as both electronic earpro and comms. Unfortunately, I haven't seen another pair for less than $300 lately.
One other problem with David Clark is they like to have official dealers only handle their product. This has proven challenging for us as we are fully capable of working on them but they are so expensive and our market so small that we could never justify a full dealership. The nearest dealer is 2+ hours and half the state away. So we had to pull some strings to get them for a customer. It was not a happy experience. But that was a full fire engine setup, also. Maybe portables would be easier.
We used a couple frs radios but the volume was sub optimal, the range was good but even with a headset, the volume was low. We ended up going to a plain old cobra 40 channel CB setup and that's been the bees knees. Someone on ebay had six radios for $25 each so I grabbed them all, loader, tractor, dump truck, pickup, just put one in everything and used the 28 inch fire stik antennas.