Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Burnt cat 977

cooberb78 ยท 2022-04-12 12:05

Hey fellas can anyone on here tell me how to move a burnt up 977 need to move it about a 1/2 mile to be able to load it

Replies15
  1. #1Nige2022-04-12 12:19

    You're going to tow it I assume.? Can you see whether the park brake is applied.? If it is the centre brake pedal should be way lower than the ones at each side. The parking brake lock is a mechanical system and does not require the engine to be running to apply or to release it. To release the brakes, press the centre (brake) pedal down as far as it will go and hold it there. There should be a small lever on your RH side just below the bucket controls that you can move upwards IIRC to unlock the mechanism. Release the centre pedal and it should return to the same height as the other two pedals.

  2. #2skyking12022-04-12 12:33

    I've never recovered a broken machine, Nige. Can an operator hold the boom control in lift position while you hoist it up with another machine? Assuming the hoses are not all gone, and will it stay there?

  3. #3Nige2022-04-12 12:43

    It's not a pilot system so holding the lever in float might probably work, then return it to Hold once the bucket has been lifted off the ground. Whether it holds after that all depends on hose integrity and whether or not there is enough oil in the tank.

  4. #4skyking12022-04-12 12:51

    thanks that is what I had hoped, and I can see a pilot system is another can of beans. On that note i saw a knucklebuster Cat by the highway Sunday with the blade in the "tow position"

  5. #5John C.2022-04-12 13:10

    You might get the blade up doing that but it will not stay there. We always tied them up with a chain to be sure they stayed in that position.

  6. #6Cat9772022-04-12 13:53

    Would setting it in float and towing backwards from the tow bar be a good idea?

  7. #7bam19682022-04-12 14:34

    I had to pull a 977 one time. It was not burnt though. It had a dozer blade on it. I just took the blade off and then chain the loader arms up and pulled it from the front only because it happened to be pointed in the general direction it needed to go. I sure wouldn't hesitate pulling it backwards though.

  8. #8DMiller2022-04-12 17:56

    Back or forward will work so long as do not need to maneuver too excessively. So long as hydraulic lines are intact Float should work, if already popped is in permanent Float.

  9. #9bunkclimber2022-05-24 13:57

    cut some sections of 3"ID steel pipe about 15"long, then cut that lengthwise so it'l fit over the lift cylinder rods as mast props..don't rely on burned hydraulics to support the mast..safety first

  10. #10LCA0782022-05-24 19:26

    Even angle iron could work as a safety. I highly recommend clamping the half-pipe or angle iron with ubolts or such to be doubly safe.

  11. #11Dave Neubert2022-05-24 20:19

    You better have something hefty to pull it with especially if you have to turn it

  12. #12JimInOz2022-05-24 22:52

    I always use decent sized Angle iron for the boom. The bucket may need to be chained back. Clearing the path of obstacles helps ,& try to avoid rough terrain.

  13. #13Cat9772022-05-25 11:57

    I would wrap the piston rods with some protection, Leather, canvas, brass under your braces. If you ding up the rod use a very fine/hard honing stone to fix the high spots before you end up running it through the seals. Use oil on it, you should only feel the stone bite when it hits a high spot. If you want to polish after stoning the high spots try 320 emery cloth. Use it as a strip, not on a backing block. Use the emery on another piece of steel for a min. to break it down a bit.

  14. #14gwhammy2022-05-25 20:25

    I've never pulled a 977 but have my 973 a couple times. They actually pull fairly easy. I put some pieces of cutting edge between the bolts on the cylinder and the boom to hold the boom up. It takes some pretty hefty metal and I like it better around the bolts that hold the head on the cylinder. Less likely to damage parts.

  15. #15bunkclimber2022-10-03 11:58

    old thread but I thought I'd add you can move a crawler fairly easy if you lift up on the track itself(creating rotation)-as it goes around the rear sprocket with a forklift..leverage and lifting power will move the machine easily