Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Burnt oil smell and smoke from under hood ????

Cliffj59 ยท 2011-07-05 08:33

I looked under the hood the other day while the machine was running and the oil smoke was coming out. It looks like it is coming from the turbo area. I guess the line that supplies the turbo with the lubricating oil is leaking Has anyone else had this issue and what could be the possible fixes? Will it hurt to run the machine like this? it dosen't do it all the time just every once in a while. Sorry for all the questions but I'm new to this heavy equipment and don't want to hurt the machine any more than it already is. Where can I get parts to repair this turbo besides the Caterpillar dealer? Thanks for all the help...

Replies3
  1. #1rigandig2011-07-05 11:27

    CliffJ, Make sure the leak is from the oil supply hose to the turbo. You might try to tighten it, but if it is from the hose, chances are you will need a new one. You can remove it and take it to a reputable hose shop and have one made. Put some duct tape or something over the fittings that the hose is hooked to to keep dirt and critters out while you have the hose off. The hose should be one made for high temp environments. Before you get into taking the hose off, clean the area and make sure the leak is not from the turbo itself. If you idle the machine a lot, they tend to "slobber". Let us know how you make out with this.

  2. #2Cliffj592011-07-05 13:30

    Ok after futher investigating ( just getting off my lazy butt and looking) it looks like the gasket where the oil supply line bolts onto the turbo has a hole in it. It seems to be blowing oil out of it up against the side of the compressor housing and running down until it drips off onto the exhaust manafold causing the burnt smell and the smoke. I have ordered a new gasket for that connection. If this fixes it it could be my CHEAPEST fix on this loader to date. Thanks again for the help

  3. #3Scrub Puller2011-07-05 15:56

    Yair...One of the reasons I never owned machinery I didn't run myself.