Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Buying a used dozer

dbf577 ยท 2008-09-21 20:31

I am looking at buying a used dozer and would like an opinion on the ones im considering. They are Caterpillar D5g xl Case 850K Komatsu D39-ex

Replies16
  1. #1CatSkinner77V2008-09-22 00:00

    i have used a D5G LGP and the XL. i hated the xl compared to the LGP. the hydralic controls on that cat are so touchy. the extra inches on the ground just makes a difference.

  2. #2wvfarmervet2008-09-22 07:05

    i have a dg5 XL, and love it so far.

  3. #395zIV2008-09-22 08:52

    You will get a whole lot of opinions on here with what information you have given so far. If you want some actual concerns and critiques on the machines either links to sites if they are on one or pictures of the 3 machines under consideration would be helpful.

  4. #4EddieWalker2008-09-22 20:28

    I don't know anything specific about any of the listed machines, but the first thing you need to know about them is they will break on you. Every brand, and every type of machinery breaks down. How long it's down and the quality of your support is the most important part of what you buy. If you have all three dealers close to you, then go visit the parts guys and get a feel for the place. Ask to speak to a mechanic and see if he'll show you their repair manuals, and even more importantly, make copies for you. I have Case and New Holland. Both have been great for me and I honestly couldnt' recomend one over the other. Before I bought these machines, I ran a Deere dozer. Getting parts and help from that dealer was not like the other dealers. It might have been me, but on several trips there, and from talking to others, they just didn't put in any extra effort to help out. When you are broke down and you don't know why, having the parts guy make you a copy of the hydraulic lines can be a really big deal!!!! Good Luck, Eddie

  5. #5dbf5772008-09-22 20:37

    Thanks Here They are- D39- http://www.machinerytrader.com/listings/detail.aspx?OHID=6454831&GUID=753963F6A24E4A5FAD43FAECA97373ED Case 850K- http://www.machinerytrader.com/listings/detail.aspx?OHID=5823812&GUID=753963F6A24E4A5FAD43FAECA97373ED Cat D5g- http://www.machinerytrader.com/listings/detail.aspx?OHID=6216177&GUID=753963F6A24E4A5FAD43FAECA97373ED

  6. #6dbf5772008-09-22 20:40

    Thanks i will check out the komatsu dealer. I have dealth with the case and cat dealer and both are good.

  7. #7Dirtman20072008-09-22 22:01

    I've got a 2008 Komatsu D39 PX and absoulutly love the dozer, one of the best grading dozers that I've been on. take about 100 hours to really break the controls in as they were a little stiff at first. you can follow the purchase of it in this thread..

  8. #8RTSmith2009-02-18 23:12

    I have a question concerning the XL versus LGP take. Local Cat dealer here in Mid Tenn says they stay away from LGP machines because of all the rocks we operate in cause too many final drive problems in the LGP machines. Somebody please educate me what's up with that?

  9. #9SterlingR2009-02-18 23:21

    It has been my experience that the LGP track shoe will surely cause a lot more twisting on the rail due to the width when running over rock, which in turn will increase internal wear. What is the primary application for this machine?

  10. #10stumpjumper832009-02-19 06:49

    LGP, the answer is in the name. Lgp, refers to low ground pressure and they are intended for use in areas where a standard machine would sink. Usually a lpg machine will have a wider track, some will be fitted with swamp tracks, and the overall weight of the machine will be the least of the dozer model configerations. They would be the machine of choice if you were going to muck out a pond, that type of work. And as dressta1 said, using an lgp machine in rock is an expensive idea. P.S. I though of an alternate definition for lgp, low geared pushing. Manufactures lower the gears in these models specifically for pushing pans, because the gears are lower, the contractor can use a d6lgp where in a standard configeration he would have to use a d7. But I decided not to pull your leg....

  11. #11bear2009-02-19 08:19

    got your dozer yet? dbf577 have tou bought your dozer yet? If not I don't live too far away (Somerset) and will help you spend your money

  12. #12RTSmith2009-02-19 12:05

    This makes some sense on the rail comment. To the other reply, even as a newbie, I'd had pieced together what LGP stood for. In this case, I was speaking about the D-3/4/5 class when used for light clearing & general around the farm use. We are "blessed" with a lot of soil that is contaminated with rocks from 50-2000#. So often I find myself turning on top of these critters. RTSmith PS- Finally figured out how to place the little emoticons. Pretty cool stuff!

  13. #13Clayton M2009-02-28 18:16

    Out of those three the D5G Looks Best. I am very impressed with the Cat dozers. Very low maintenance. The LGP need is going to be based on what type of material you will be working on most.

  14. #14Deereman2009-03-01 13:32

    EddieWalker, hate to hear bout your deere experience.. Of the three brands you have mentioned I would say the D39 would be the best bet. Depending on service and parts. Case: Nice interior and decent power. And I think its been updated to an L-series now or series 3. Felt a little under powered and cheap. Komatsu: Like the cab alright. blade visibility was good and had a good a/c. Just about every dozer I've seen in this size of theirs has had some kind of control valve leak with about 500-1000hrs. Seem to be pretty decent on fuel Cat:Not much to say but they tend to have a good undercarriage. And drink fuel. I know some people will say I'm wrong, but deere got small dozers where they are today and everybody has copied..esp Cat(D6K) I don't know why deere just don't build cats' dozers for them. I mean if you are going to copy that much why not. I would look at a xlt machine(Xtra long track) unless you were walking alot of slopes or in soft ground.

  15. #15roddyo2009-03-01 16:46

    I think the D39EX is an Excellent Machine I recently bought a 2001 model D39EX to try out before I took the Plunge and bought a late model one with a cab. This dozer is everything I thought it would be and more. I think it's the perfect dozer for light clearing and general hill farm work. I think the speed of the machine is perfect also. More importantly the machine is Comfortable. I rented a NEWER small John Deere from a friend of mine before I bought this dozer and I like running the Komatsu a lot better.

  16. #16smith5672009-03-03 14:55

    go cat!