Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

The old fashioned way

trackfanatic ยท 2008-09-19 06:45

Recently I was asked to help a friend clear some fencelines, so grabbed a few pics while I was there. We were using his gear, two wonderfull bits of gear that are both still working as station dozers. He drove the little one...

Replies38
  1. #1trackfanatic2008-09-19 06:48

    I got to drive the "new tractor' aka "the big jigger"

  2. #2trackfanatic2008-09-19 06:52

    Now I couldn't get any photos of them working, because its hard to find a spare hand on a stick shift, and visibility from the cab can be a bit poor. Something called dust. But I did get an interesting shot of some of the locals

  3. #3trackfanatic2008-09-19 06:55

    and I have to say that while both of them balance better than any of the newer gear, and the cab while spacious has a poor a/c system, and the dust choking my throat is tough to swallow, and either of them will outpush any machine in their class made today... I think I love my air cab and difff steering...

  4. #4trackfanatic2008-09-19 06:58

    And cause i love a sure thing I'll back Deas to give me everything except the serial numbers...

  5. #5biggixxerjim2008-09-19 07:28

    first glance of that picture I was sure Deas made the post.....:drinkup

  6. #6nextdoor2008-09-19 08:33

    The little girl there has the same undercarriage that I am used to on our D4 with the same small front idler. I also gather by the mound of soil that it is sitting on, that it suffers the same nasty bucking bronco effect that mine does. Does anyone know what model that one is? It appears to be a D24u (1947-58) but I could be wrong. Did you get to drive the "little jigger" Trackfanatic? Does it still start on the donkey or has it been modified? Anyhow enough questions and thanks for the great pics. Cheers.

  7. #7trackfanatic2008-09-19 09:02

    Didn't run her this time but I did clean out a couple of silt traps with the old tart a few years back. The things we do for fun... As for the starting system the pilot motor is baulky, which is why she's always left with a log under the blade. I believe the model designation for the other start mechanisim is 12E 17k.

  8. #8mouse2008-09-19 09:10

    good stuff - how does the log under the blade help (asks he who knows sfa about donkey starts or dozers...)

  9. #9trackfanatic2008-09-19 09:12

    The log makes it easy to put a chain around the blade to tow start her.

  10. #10mouse2008-09-19 09:17

    ah the blindingly obvious answer. guess i could've thought that one through... :Banghead

  11. #11stock2008-09-19 13:14

    Give up drinkin that VB Mouse its rotting your brain :drinkup:drinkup:drinkup Chance a tooots instead

  12. #12Deas Plant2008-09-20 02:18

    Wottarthay??????????????? Hi, Trackfanatic. Nice photos of honest working veterans. I agree that, while it's fun to get on them and have a play, it's a LOT easier to do a day's work with the comforts of A/C, etc.. Cat D2 4U with - I think - a Holt blade and tree pusher of unknown origin but nevertheless substantial design. Cat D6B - too many series for me to guess - with Cat 6A angling blade and another tree pusher of unknown origin and somewhat less substantial design. Bearded dragon - Aussie series, unknown serial number due to massive quantities of this model produced over the millenia, naturally curious - sometimes to its own detriment - carnivorous, mainly insects and smaller reptiles, able tree climber, very fast ground runner, has a fair bite with great tenacity if you are silly enough to put any part of your anatomy where it can be bit and non-venomous. Can be encouraged to hand feed with patience and make good insect traps if encouraged around the home. Thanks for sharing.

  13. #13trackfanatic2008-09-20 08:13

    Deas, Well 2 out of 3 ain't bad. She's actually a 6C, but very early one, and there's only a day between the last of the B's and the first of the C's. And I was PMSL about the lizard, but I think he's a later series one. Seriously though, doing the odd day on station machines as I do I get to play with all sorts of old gear, most of which is in fair working condition . That 6C is near immaculate though - spent most of it's life on the downs and has 12 k hours or so from new. Still quite a few 7E's working up here, plenty of 8H's and 9H's ( most of the 9's with the frames stretched from pullling a chain), the odd TD15 and TD 9. I know of one HD21 in good order, and last year I even got a play on a cable job. Also one of them green things, which may be why I'm deaf. Lots of well floor 5's and 4D's, and I know of one little cletrac still poking around. And there's a pair of 22's parked up in the scrub just down from where I live. And you're right I have fun doing it. While I might miss my creature comforts I actually find it nice to sit on a machine that steers because it's balanced rather than having technology to make up for the fact that it would otherwise handle like a pig. It's nice to fit my lunchbox and waterbottle in the cab with room for a greasegun, spanners, spare pins and grouser bolts and be able to stretch my legs as well.

  14. #14Deas Plant2008-09-20 08:52

    2 out of 3. Hi, Trackfanatic. Well, Heavens to Betsy, God bless my little cotton socks and Well, I never. For I never did see a Cat D6C with those armrests, centre seating, floor-mounted steering levers as opposed to pull handles mounted in a housing protruding from the dash, inboard-mounted carrier rollers and, as far as I can see, no turbocharger. Now please don't get me wrong. I'm not saying that it isn't so 'cos I wasn't standing at the factory door checking each one as it was 'druv' out the door. Orl I'm saying is that I have never seen one like it B4. It might be interesting to check out the serial number if you would care to post it next time you are out thataway. One 'breed' that didn't have much to do with was Allis Chalmers. I operated an AC HD16 stick-shift for about 3 months back in 1965 and enjoyed it. It was one of the climbers that I have ever run. I would have liked to have a 'play' with an HD21 too but the opportunity has not yet arisen. Ditto with an IH TD18 and TD24.

  15. #15Buckethead2008-09-20 15:51

    Nice pics! :drinkup

  16. #16AtlasRob2008-09-20 16:58

    Deas, :notworthy it might be that the guy thought C was for crawler without realizing the can of worms he might be opening :drinkup

  17. #17buddy6052008-09-20 17:32

    right or wrong, That knowledge is still impressive. :drinkup

  18. #18chasman2008-09-20 18:50

    Cool pics! If I ever get down under I'd sure like to hang out with you fellas and suck in some diesel fumes and kick the dirt a bit. I get to travel a bit around the world and always like to come across as many Aussies as I can, plenty fun to talk with and down home kinda folks. I hope to get some pics soon of my 70's model D5 clearing some fence line as I just got her back together but still need to clean out the belly pan, damned dirty work I must say. How big was that lizard?

  19. #19Deas Plant2008-09-20 19:01

    Diesel fumes and kickin' dirt. Hi, Chasman. We'd be happy to see you too. I had a 'helluva' time in California in June when I went over for the Best Show On Tracks. I put faces to a good few names of people with whom I had been corresponding on the 'net for up to 9 years, took 1,900 photos and spent some very enjoyable hours playing in the 'sand-pit', mostly on a very nice Cat D9G. I doubt that I could have been made to feel more welcome and at home everywhere I went. I don't know how long that particular lizard was but a BIG one would be about 12", mostly a little less. Let us know if you can make it over the puddle.

  20. #20trackfanatic2008-09-22 07:01

    Deas I can't argue with your description of the machine as it as exactly as you describe it. When I was invited to "come play with the new toy" the owner told me it was a 6C, and he referred to it throughout as a 6C. For a cow cocky he's usually pretty switched on about machinery. I've never been on a 6B or C before so don't know the difference. Certainly I will grab that S/N next time I'm out there 'cause now I'm intruiged. Curiosity might have killed the cat, but except for 1 divorce it's mostly been good to me. In no way did I mean to offend you and my naming it as a C was done in good faith with the information I was given. So sorry if I did. cheers mate

  21. #21Deas Plant2008-09-22 09:12

    No Offence Took. Hi, Trackfanatic. No offence took, M8. Just that 'cat-poison' at work again. As I said earlier, I have never seen a D6C with that control and seat layout. I don't have a FULL list of serial numbers for both series but, from what I can gather, the most likely ones to be found in Australia are: D6B - 44A (U.S.), 56A, 57A - there may be a smattering of 37H and 38H series as well, imported from Japan. D6C - 55J, 56J, 71A, 73A - with some 10K serial numbers scattered among them as well, imported from the U.S.. I have attached a couple of photos of D6C's for comparison and one of the control deck of a D6B direct drive. The angle-blade D6C is a power-shift, the straight-blade D6C and the D6B are direct-drives - there was no power-shift D6B. The D5 which replaced the D6B was offered with optional power-shift. The differences are pretty obvious. As well as the ones I mentioned earlier, there is more rise from the sprocket and idler to the carrier rollers in the D6C than in the 6B, the 6C battery boxes are separate from the seat, the air cleaner is different, the 6C hydraulic filter stuck up through the hood just in front of the dash, the blade control lever was mounted on the front of the fuel tank on the 6C, the 6C had optional blade tilt ram circuitry - 2 pedals on the floor under the left foot in the early ones and the blade lift ram hoses come out from under the hood near the front on the 6C instead of forward from the hydraulic tank as with the 6B in your photos. Awaiting further developments.

  22. #22trackfanatic2008-09-22 09:31

    The one I was on had a foot control lever under the left foot for the rippers, for what it's worth. Bit of a b*****d to get at I thought, mounted so I couldn't get my foot to it with the clutch disengaged. Good set of rippers too, though they don't show up well in the photos I posted. I did look for a build plate on the ripper but couldn't find one, machine had been laying poly out on the downs and perhaps the really aggresive run to the tip was to aid that. Certainly worked well for getting under stumps for me. i expect to be out that way again once the wet starts, we usually pick up a bit of work there then and it keeps the gear mooving. I'll make a point of having a look at her.

  23. #23Deas Plant2008-09-22 10:08

    The ripper. Hi, Trackfanatic. Looking at it from here, that ripper appears to be a genuine Cat, built specifically for that model of D6. The curved shanks are almost always easier to pull than a straight shank with a bend at the bottom and seem to penetrate just as well if not better. How-wevver, they can be harder to lift if you get them caught firmly under something - like a tree root. Strange as it may seem, one of the best penetrating rippers I have ever used was a cable-controlled BHB ripper fitted to a 'stick-shift' D6C cable dozer. That ripper surprised the beejazuz out of me with what it would get stuck right into - and what it would lift out. Catchyalater.

  24. #24diggerop2008-09-23 02:39

    Another real dozer! A D6c I operated, stickraking in 68. Power shift, separate battery box, controls out the dash, couldn't see the top of the oil filler/filter for about 2 seconds, why have one on a cable operated machine LOL,

  25. #25kennymopar2008-09-28 00:08

    its good to see the old machines that done the hard yards here in Australia..the old TD18a i sold back in 95 was a old machine that once worked on the snowy mountains scheme..she still had a bit of work left in here when i bought her..cable blade & all

  26. #26stock2008-09-28 02:56

    found this yellow sow working yesterday spoke to the owner who owns it from nearly new ,so the question is what is it?

  27. #27Deas Plant2008-09-28 03:08

    Wottizzitt??????????????? Hi, Stock. At a guess, I'd say an early D8K that has had the muffler removed and a straight pipe laid along the hood to get to the mount for the original vertical exhaust stack. Gotta few miles up but doesn't appear to be in too bad a condition. That single shank ripper may have originally been fitted to a D8H too. By the time the D8K's came out, most people wanted the 4 BBL rippers, but that is not to say that there wasn't an old diehard somewhere who chose to stick to the 'tired and proven'. Thanks for sharing.

  28. #28stock2008-09-28 03:30

    well done but deas the owner told me that she has an unusual trait now I know because he told me but I cant say it true so have a look at the pics and let me know,O the ripper came with it when he bought it. stock

  29. #29Deas Plant2008-09-28 04:20

    Unusual trait. Hi, Stock. I done thunk to myself when I first looked at it that the fuel tank didn't look right and I said to myself, "Self, that fuel tank could just about have come from a D9G or, less likely, an 'H'." Over to you, Sir.

  30. #30CatSkinner77V2008-09-28 13:17

    no thats the original fuel tank, they are alot bigger than the H fuel tanks. I often thought that too, when the side protector plates are removed the tank looks awful big..... I have similar old K at home. My educated guess is its around the 77V2500 serial number mark or lower.

  31. #31stock2008-09-28 14:00

    someone must know fingers (the owner cause of his lack of them ) some thing to do with a bridge no permits and a trailor that bottomed out also said that the track group is off a kommie 155 , but what wrong with it ?

  32. #32indian3472008-10-06 15:22

    Push Start ! When i was a younun we had a D7 with a Johnson stick. We did a job with a D8 Power Shift that pushed the 7 backwards to start it.Worked every time.I was 15 and itchin to get on it.I haven't been in a seat 4 about 12 years and miss the hell out of it.Althouth my back woulden't take it. But i'd give it hell till i coulden't. Jim

  33. #33stock2008-10-06 15:43

    OK OK OK she has got a h blade fitted

  34. #34landsalesman2009-10-12 14:14

    td15c input Hi folks, I am new to the forum and dozers. I spotted a good looking dresser td15c. Any opinions please.

  35. #35RonG2009-10-12 15:06

    They were a nice dozer,good power and balance and tough.Ron G

  36. #36JDOFMEMI2009-10-12 20:56

    Well, I missed this thread the first time around, but all the way through the pictures Stock posted I was thinking, "It looks like a K, but I know that is an H blade, and I never seen that type on a K before. The giveaway on the blade is 2 things. First it is shorter than a K blade by about a foot or so, and second is the ball and socket joints on the tilt instead of regular pins. I also think it is an early K because you don't find that type of ripper on the later models. Also, it was originally a foreign job, because by the time the K came around, in the US it had ROPS on it, you could not get just a cab like that.

  37. #37RDG2009-10-13 07:02

    D6c That would have to be a D6B not a D6 C, the D6b was around about the same time as the D6c but was only 93hp with direct drive. The 6c had 120hp, powershift , wet backend and top rollers were outside mounted on the track frames. The D6B later became the first of the D5s.

  38. #38euc852010-02-21 01:08

    Nothin like a little fun and still gettin the job done. Dad had a similar D6 awhile back and they will do the work