Hi, I have talked myself into wanting this Case 580L 4x4. It has been a construction machine and worked in wet places so the buckets will eventually need work. The floor has been replaced, it has some loose pins, but all in all it looks pretty good. The serial number starts with JJG0239 and one reference said it is a 1998 model. I am going back tomorrow to take another look and check for play in all of the pins and steering. I'll listen for CV joint noise. I found specs for some stall tests and I'll try those. I'll check all of the fluids I can find. Are the wheel hub fluids separate from the axles? The hubs are marked to check fluid levels. I didn't see plugs on the axles, should they be obvious? Is the hydraulic fluid separate from the transmission? There is a dipstick on the firewall back from the engine oil stick. I am guessing that is for the transmission? How do I check Hydraulic oil? Just the tank on the side? Anything about a 580L known to be troublesome? Anything to check to avoid buying a bunch of problems. Thanks in advance, any advice on this is appreciated.
How many hours are on it. Those are good tractors. If you buy it see if they will let you use it for a day first , or rent it and check it out. They are simple to work on.
I think it's close to 4000 hours. Belongs to a builder. I like the try it out of for a day idea. The way it is built with driveshafts between both axles and the transmission makes it look easy to work on. I like the 3.9 engine.
If the machine is ok , he should have no problem letting you use it for a day as long as you are serious about the purchase. 4000 is not bad , if its pretty tight . is the 3.9 turbo or non ?
It is a non turbo and has less than 3200 hours. He said the first 2000 went on pretty fast and then he got a couple of excavators that have been doing most of the work since then. We did the stall tests today and checked for play in the pins and pivots. No signs of slipping on stall. The only place it is loose is the hoe bucket and a little in the swing pivot. He said it is the original bucket. You can see a little play in the swing pivot when the hoe picks up the tractor. Did tight turns both ways with no noise in the CV joints. The brakes will spin it right around. We arrived on a price and I got a cashier's check on my way home. I am probably going back tomorrow with a trailer and a check. I am pretty comfortable that I can get some good work out of it and I can get my money back out of it if I need to sell it. He offered to let me play with it at his place all I wanted but he is not comfortable with taking it away. He hires someone to move it if it goes further than driving range. It has lived almost its whole life in about a five mile range around the river.
I trailered it home this afternoon, I'm happy. It has been many years since I operated a backhoe and never really did learn more than just enough to be dangerous. So I am starting over and starting slow. Some words seem to go together naturally like "ice cream". But some words don't really go together so well, like "mouse trap" or "backhoe trailer". Loading a backhoe on a trailer is just not a natural act.
The guy that runs my hoe part time is a magician on the machine. He is 47 now and started when he was 15. Up hills , down hills etc. It is a treat to watch him run. No one can tell you how to operate , you have to get the feel of it. Read your owners manuel for tips. I don't like an operator that jerks and carries on for no reason. I've been on a tlb for 27 years and still learn new stuff all the time.