Hello all, I am considering buying an excavator for use around a piece of land that I plan to develop into a few residential lots and potetially put it to work in the future if and when I become a competant operator. It will be used for clearing trees, building approaches, potentially digging a few basements etc. I really don't know much about excavator other than I’ve always considered them the ultimate in heavy equipment. I’ve been told a 200/220 type machine would work well for my needs so that is kind of what I’ve been looking around for. From the forums that I’ve read on here most companies can/have made good machines but proper and regular maintenance is what often separates a good machine from one that will cause headaches. That being said, does anyone have any good or bad opinions on the older pre volva Samsung machines, in particular a 1995 Samsung SE210-LC2? Who manufactured these machines? Also do you feel that a 200/220 size excavator is what I should be looking for? Any and all advice is much appreciated. Thanks Matt
IMHO, a 200 size may be a little big, a 150/160 may be more of a fit. One thing to consider is who will repair this machine ??, Shop your local dealers, ask people in your area who offers the best service, then buy a brand they sell. Lee
Your best bet is to call up the companies and try them out. If your looking for a Volvo, call Strongco.
Welcome to the Forums fishinmatt! :drinkup I agree that a 200 may be a bit large for your tasks but of course I haven't seen your property. Don't know for sure but I think in 1995 Samsung made their own machine.:beatsme Interesting link to Volvo and Samsung history - http://www.volvoce.com/construction...er excavators Samsung/Pages/introduction.aspx
For property development I would look for a machine with a blade and plumbed forward for a thumb or wrist attachment. The amount of time you can save with attachments is amazing over a straight digger. You can get along without them but once you have them you will wonder how you did . Adding aux hydraulics to a machine that didn't come factory plumbed is usually very pricey.
Are you able to hire or lease a machine initially? If you have hard ground conditions - I am guessing this because of the suggestion for a 20 tonner then you might find you might not like being shaken around all day digging hard ground. A lease will give you more time to assess your machine that you would purchase as a long term unit - track width - 600/ 700mm, rops,fops,cops - if you are around trees, whether you should have a short tail swing if around building sites with people walking around behind you. Do not see the excavator as the ultimate but just a machine that is just part of the machine range. Bulldozers, dump trucks, vibrating rollers, graders, scrapers etc have their place. ARe their any Hitachi 130s with blades around? Fire extinguisher and maybe an engine strangler unit if an older diesel that you buy. Think of what attachments are important - thumb, tilt bucket, plate compactor, auger unit, mulching head, rock breaker, concrete crusher jaws etc.