Hi guys just joined up been reading a lot of your posts, and wanted to get your opinions. I am looking to stay under 20k and found a 2007 S300 with 2900 hours. The current owner bought it 4.5 years ago and has only used it personally not commercially. It has enclosed cab, new tires, and hand controls. He is asking $19,500. Do you guys think this is priced right and should I be concerned with the hours or model in general?
Is it going to be for personal use? I bought an 07 S300 with way more hours (4950 hrs) and it needed some tlc but I got it cheap enough and could do the work myself. It has been a great machine for me and I would definitely do it again only major fix was overhauling the motor it was getting a bit tired when I got it. The rest was just general maintenance, or cosmetic. Mine was hand and foot controls so less to go wrong can't say much about the hand controls. Definitely take a good look at the motor there is a case vent that comes down from the valve cover and has a line that is just behind the starter, there should be some air coming out of it, however if it is really forcefully coming out the motor is probably in need of an overhaul. Also pull the air filter and see if the inner filter is in it as well. That inner filter will help the motor not ingest fine dust particles that won't do your cylinder walls any favors. There are guys way more versed and knowledgeable then me on here just a few things I have found with mine along the way.
can't answer whether it's priced right since I can't see it (he's not asking a ridiculous amount for sure), but that model (and year) is, overall, known to be a good machine, imo. Very capable machine, though I've never owned the joystick controlled ones. I do like the selectable controlled option. Can you take someone who is knowledgeable about skid steers with you? There are a lot of things to check out before you put down that much money for it. Does it look similar in appearance to this one? https://www.ebay.com/itm/2007-BOBCA...157701?hash=item41eeda4b05:g:iU8AAOSwUlRbqqfu
I talked to a Bobcat mechanic and he told me how to check the chains for slop, and check pins and bushings. I am pretty familiar with Bobcat because my boss has let me use his T180 for the past 5 years with hand controls so thats what I am familiar with. The Bobcat mechanic said that they changed something from 2007 to 2008 but I do not remember what he said. However the condition is very similar to the one on ebay.
Bring a bright flashlight to check out in the back engine compartment. Bring ratchet with 19mm socket to lift cab and check for leaks and bolts that are missing or have been wrenched recently. Bring a couple 6x6's to put underneath the rear and lift up the front to get all wheels off the ground to check for play in wheel bearings. Rock wheels (12 and 6 oclock) and then pull in and out. See if wheels are same tread depth or same diameter. Notice if bucket cutting edge is worn differently on either side. Notice if boom sits down and hits one side before the other. If so, boom is twisted. Get about 10' behind machine and sight down outsides of tires, line them up top to bottom. If uneven, then poss bent wheel or axle. Tell the guy you want the machine cold and have him sit in the seat to start while you watch at rear what color smoke comes out of muffler and how long it takes to clear and burn clean. Listen to what kinds of sounds engine makes cold. Stick your nose in the exhaust....does it burn your eyes badly, or do you smell burnt oil? Check blow-by at oil fill. I've owned s300's that had the mufflers clogged and forced exhaust back in motor thinking it was blow-by from rings, but wasn't. If the owner hovers, ask him to kick rocks (politely, of course)and to leave you alone while you just stare at things and mentally access without being rushed. Check to see if drive motors are equal in power forwards and reverse. Get a bucket full of dirt or stone and work the hydraulics up and down while the engine is in full rpm while you drive forwards and back. Notice if the hydraulics don't keep up or bog down. Put the machine on a hard surface and push up against a curb or something to check if you can break the wheels free both sides. While the bucket is full, lift to several diff spots and cut the engine. Wait for a few minutes to see or hear if bucket curl or boom drifts down. Check all hydraulic cylinders for leaks at seals where dirt would gather and accumulate with the oil. Get the machine hot by operating it at full throttle for at least 15 min. See if hydraulic power lessens at all. Check blow-by....should be less of it than when it was cold. Check coolers to see condition and if the hydro one is rusted badly. They can get pin hole leaks if machine gets weathered. Bring a grease gun to see if all zerks take grease. Not a comprehensive check by far, but should get u started in the right direction.
Questions and comments above in quoted text. ^^^^^^^^^^ All good points made. Another thing to look for are maintenance records. I write all filter and fluid changes inside the engine bay door with a sharpie. Others have different methods, others do no maintenance.
hours will matter some on any machine but its how is was used and the proper maint care is the most important issue. you could call a case dealer and he will give you and idea what it worth. seems a little hi to me but just my opinion. it also matters if you have the place and knowledge to work on it. sometimes its best to buy from a dealer to get some sort of a warranty. spending 20 thousand dollars for a piece of equipment is a risky business. The internet is a good place to search the machine and prices for it. Once all said and done and you buy a piece of equipment its yours along with all the good, bad and ugly that comes with it. study and think hard before you hand out the money. good luck to you.
" I'm not sure how much wrenching I would allow someone to do on MY machine, as he hasn't purchased it yet." Imo, lifitng the cab is like lifting the hood on a vehicle to inspect before you buy. If an owner has a problem with it I'd most likely walk. I could prob write an entire page on trying to figure out people's integrity level since there seems to be a contiuum of honesty in most folks. I have found few sellers are totally honest about a machine - doesn't matter if they are blue or white collar. If a seller gives no specific answers to specific questions, then it raises red flags in my book. Also, many of the nicest people have been the most deceptive, especially since the economy tanked in 2008. Always be on your guard.
That is a valid point. My personal concern would be the fact that it takes tools. If he decides not to buy, I now have work to do before I can use my machine again.
If I wasn't allowed to lift the cab, I don't need that machine haha.