Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Buying Used?

thepawnshop ยท 2006-02-27 18:57

I am looking to buy a used excavator from out of state and I was wondering... Is there any way to avoid buying someone elses 'headache"? Meaning, how the heck do you avoid buing a lemon, short of always buying new? Is htere some type of service where you can pay an unbiased party to do a "pre inspection" prior to purchase? Thanks!

Replies17
  1. #1rino14942006-02-27 19:11

    Ask the dealer where he got it about the machine if there has been any problems and ask the guy if he could get some oil samples done and send you the results.

  2. #2NWH2006-02-27 19:51

    nwh Be very very careful ! I just bought a 2000 model case 9010B which is the same as a LINK-BELT 2650Q and had to replace the swing reduction gear box on the second job for about 5000 bucks after an incredible amount of searching for a good deal on parts. We are pretty familiar with equipment and pretty good mechanics and still got bit. I dont think the dealer knew of the problem. Always take a knowledable buddy to operate the machine or watch and try to run it for a couple of hours. Even after the problem I still feel we got a good deal and am very happy with the machine. Much stronger than a Deere or JCB to which we compared.

  3. #3thepawnshop2006-02-28 21:16

    Someone pointed out to me that this was a grey market machine. I couldn't tell, but apparently the serial number and the fact that ALL of the stickers had no english (only Japanese) on them should have been a giveaway. It is a very clean machine and the price is right, but apparently that is why it could be had for such a good deal. I am not opposed to buying a used machine, in fact, I am all about letting someone else take the initial depreciation hit, but I think I will stick to a local dealer and pay a few bucks more but at least KNOW what I am buying. I was very close to buying a used Hitachi from my local JD dealer. While demoing it, the boom broke. Within a day, the dealer had a JD 160 that only had 100 hours on the site in its place at no charge. I guess what I am getting at is it really is worth paying more and having strong dealer support, than saving a few thousand bucks and not knowing what you are going to get!

  4. #4thepawnshop2006-02-28 21:22

    Also, if anyone was curious, here is a link to the machine: http://www.machinerytrader.com/listings/forsale/detail.asp?OHID=5234713&guid=B9EB713CEA3944AEA3ECE9286A5E133A If any of you know of a smokin deal on a machine of either this class or up to the 135, please let me know. I just have to have a backfill blade and zero tail swing. Thanks!

  5. #5Orchard Ex2006-02-28 21:41

    Ok - I'll admit my ignorance here... What the heck are all the extra side acting joints in the boom for? Digging around corners?

  6. #6Orchard Ex2006-02-28 21:50

    Re: Gray Market Some of the grey market equipment isn't bad to deal with, I have a little Komatsu dozer and every part I have needed is the same as the US model. No problem at all. My cousin has a German made JD 555 trackhoe - he can get parts, but it can take a week or sometimes 2 weeks for some parts. I understand that other grey market equipment isn't that easy. Maybe you can ask your local Cat dealer if parts are available. Some manufacturers support grey market machines better than others - I don't remember if Cat was good or not in that regard. -Korey

  7. #7bobcatuser2006-02-28 23:44

    This dealer sells good machines, prices are in Canadian dollars. http://www.machinerytrader.com/list...0&dlr=1&guid=FAC7D11561D54B9984C091B7B4C1C317

  8. #8thepawnshop2006-03-01 00:06

    Can you tell if that is a grey market machine by what you see in the ad?

  9. #9digger242j2006-03-01 05:49

    Not quite around corners. They will offset the boom to the side somewhat, so you can dig closer to walls, etc., much the same as having the whole boom swing, the way most minis do. I've never run one, but I've seen them at auctions. It always looked like a real potential repair headache to me.

  10. #10Orchard Ex2006-03-01 13:16

    I thought about that, but I couldn't picture how the dipper would stay vertical to the wall as the boom moves down through a digging cycle? I'm sure it would make more sense to me if I saw it in person. Thanks Digger As for knowing if a machine is grey market - the only sure way I know of is to check the serial number. With globalization I'm not sure we can count on the language on controls anymore. Lots of new equipment comes through with multilingual labels (mostly English/Spanish/French for north american items). However - IMHO the asian language labels that you mentioned on a Cat excavator are probably the mark of a grey market machine.

  11. #11CascadeScaper2006-03-01 17:06

    Easiest way to tell is on Cat machines it says REGA on each side of the machine. Dead giveaway. Plus most of the REGA 308's have rubber track pads. Japan has very little dirt that the machines were actually working on so most of these machines were working on pavement, yet another giveaway.

  12. #12Ford LT-90002006-03-02 01:20

    You have to watch out what you buy from Tractor Hill they sell alot of grey market machines mainly Komatsu.

  13. #13AFCS2006-03-11 17:31

    our main komatsu dealer here in alaska warns that many of the parts on a grey metal are not the same and that they have difficulty in aquiring them. this is the quote under "buyer beware" on their website Used KOMATSU construction equipment originally manufactured for sale in overseas markets are being imported and sold in your area. These "Gray Market" units were not designed for sale in the United States and differ greatly in several respects. They were designed for the Asian market and imported into the United States by individuals independent of Komatsu and without Komatasu's authorization. Craig Taylor Equipment as an authorized Komatsu distributor has been unsuccessful in our attempt to obtain parts for these imported units. Please trust us, they are not the same. Even thought a new paint job and a decal kit has been applied to indicate a current U.S. model, the parts available to us from Komatsu America will not fit. We have tried and share the disappointments with several local contractors which have purchased these gray market units. We are capable of providing parts and service for all Komatsu construction products regardless of which U.S. authorized dealer generated the sale. Craig Taylor Equipment Co. Alaska Authorized Komatsu Dealer

  14. #14Wulf2006-03-11 18:31

    IMO many dealers have shifted from resisting grey machinery to accepting it as a trend that is here to stay. A downturn in any part of the world will mean machines being sold cheaply... hell it could even happen here in North America one day. In my experience engines and machines are built on a global basis with very little difference in basic structure and function. Machines from Europe and Japan have all the bells and whistles and can actually end up being a great find. If I was a Kobelco dealer I would rather see a grey Kobelco than a yellow Cat in my territory any day so just support it the best way you can by selling the parts at retail with little obligation on part availability. That grey customer may one day grow and buy new domestic machines from you. Treat him like an outlaw and he'll never be back.

  15. #15molly9872018-02-11 16:33
  16. #16molly9872018-02-11 16:40

    I bought a Grey Market machine before I could even spell G.M. It has a 3 cyl. Yanmar Engine which

  17. #17CatKC2018-02-12 10:03

    If you look at the DATE on the posting you will see it was Mar11, 2006, so I doubt if the person commenting is following the thread any longer. I noticed you are a new member, so it's understandable to make the error of responding to an old posting.