Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

CA day in the life of a WABO scoopmobile Model HPD

allpinball ยท 2010-05-20 09:43

A day in the life of a WABCO scoopmobile Model HPD Some random shots of an obscure loader at work....loading, fueling, raising, hauling, moving, and just posing. 50's scoopmobile model HPD with the 3-53 GMC diesel.

Replies31
  1. #1allpinball2010-05-20 09:45

    more pics

  2. #2allpinball2010-05-20 09:48

    A day in the life of a WABO scoopmobile Model HPD uno mas

  3. #3Jeffksf2010-05-20 13:53

    Nice scenery and a very different machine.

  4. #4Yutong2010-05-20 20:35

    I really appreicate that Amercans could built their own houses. That's amazing to me.

  5. #5pistons2010-05-20 21:24

    I bet a bad ECM will not ruin the day with that machine.lol (electronic control module)

  6. #6cat 3852010-05-20 21:31

    i like the drip pad for the driveway

  7. #7CM19952010-05-21 00:49

    Interesting machine that was probably before its time. If you look at some of the shorter reach material handlers on the market, they look to be from the same gene pool. Long pivot mounted boom, extended reach and dump height and maneuverability with the single rear pivot wheel. Of course the newer machines have pivot/crab/4 wheel steer instead of a single wheel on the rear end but the concept is the same. Really like the picture of the machine running down the side of the road with the Jimmy pouring some smoke. Wear your ear plugs.

  8. #8bigrus2010-05-21 03:42

    Nothing like the sound of a "jimmy" Great to see still working "GO the WABCO"

  9. #9Heavy Highway2010-05-23 22:08

    That's a really cool rig! I imagine its got to have some serious lead in the rear end to keep from tipping over, though.....

  10. #10mitch5042010-05-23 23:00

    Why the struts beside the front wheel? They don't look like they're attached to the side well enough to provide much strength.

  11. #11allpinball2010-05-24 12:27

    The struts attached to the front wheels are not structural - rather they're part of the drive train. There are planetary gear sets in the hubs of the axle; the strut is splined onto the inner gear of the planetary in order to lock the gear in place and provide the gear reduction & associated transfer of drive torque to the frame of the machine. A side benefit is these struts can be easily removed, which effectively disconnects the entire powertrain (including the differential) from the wheels; this was to allow towing of the machine; there is a towbar that can be attached to the single wheel at the back of the machine. In this configuration the machine could be towed on streets at moderate speeds.

  12. #12allpinball2010-05-24 12:31

    re: weight in rear Yes, the entire back end of the machine is very heavy construction (akin to a forklift) to provide a counter balance to the boom. The boom can lift 8,000-10,000 pounds before it starts feeling light on the back end. A drawback of this is the back end sits very heavy on the single rear wheel, which makes it prone to finding the softest earth available. I've learned that on several occasions. It has power steering in the rear to make up for the heavy weight back there.

  13. #13mitch5042010-05-24 17:00

    That is a cool setup for towing

  14. #14ClevelandPusher2010-05-26 12:27

    nice house being built.

  15. #15iceberg2102010-07-14 20:53

    Awesome machine! I love seeing those old machines, someday I'd love to run one, looks like a blast! Years ago in the sixties I think my grandfather took an even older Scoopmobile that had a mast on it instead of that nifty boom. They took the bucket off and put a set of forks on it to make for their first forklift. It's steering wasn't power and was just a rod that ran from the back wheel up over the operator's head down to a handle that the operator worked. Apparently driving over a pot hole was akin to dislocating your arm if the wheel hit the pothole wrong. At any rate anyone remember that sort of Scoopmobile? I've only heard stories and never seen pictures of the old beast, as it was sold long before I was born... Also anyone know what happened to the Scoopmobile company? WABO I suppose? Thanks for the information...

  16. #16allpinball2010-07-27 11:17

    re :Also anyone know what happened to the Scoopmobile company? WABO I suppose? My mistake putting WABO in the title instead of WABCO (forum will not let me edit the thread title). WABCO is short for Westinghouse Air Brake Company. My scoopmobile has data plates indicating it was built by WABCO....so the scoopmobile design and/or manufacturer may have been bought by Westinghouse. Other names tossed around are Wagner and MixerMobile; "scoopmobile" is more a model name than a manufacturer name. Some history: http://www.vannattabros.com/iron29.html http://www.vannattabros.com/road8.html

  17. #17allpinball2010-08-03 10:01

    More scoopmobile at work For the scoopmobile, the job is never done.

  18. #18rabbit2010-09-15 15:46

    You mean you can't build your own or most people don't? :usa

  19. #19rabbit2010-09-15 15:53

    Scoopmobile A contractor here has two of those scoopmobiles.. One big and one bigger. :usa

  20. #20powerjoke2010-09-26 12:14

    would you wanna live in a house built by chinamen? lol.....no seriously tho, they are too busy stiring the lead into the paint for McDonalds toys to build a house OP; that is an awesome ole loader....keep 'er running as long as you can:salute Pj

  21. #21rabbit2010-09-26 14:23

    No, they way he worded it I wondered if they were allowed to build their own homes. :usa

  22. #22surfer-joe2010-09-27 00:18

    The first loader I ever ran was a Scoopmobile, back in 1963. About the same size as the one pictured here, flat head gas engine. It was used for dragging farm equipment in and out of the shop and around the yard. Also snow plowing, and infrequently, loading a bit of gravel from a local pit. Didn't do anything very well, except getting stuck. Very rare machine in our area then.

  23. #23Wreckerman2010-11-04 17:49

    Not sure how us Americans should take that post.

  24. #24randolph2010-11-04 18:18

    I like the ladder up against the side of the bucket then ladder on the roof! Occupational health and safety would have a field day! Only in the states! :usa :drinkup

  25. #25rabbit2010-11-04 18:49

    No, Labor and Industries would have a field day here too. But on private property with only the owner working on this they don't do much. :usa

  26. #26chuck7672013-08-06 23:33

    Does it really take two hands to start this ole girl? Rumor has it that the starting process on this pictured rig, involves touching two wires together ???? Can anyone confirm if this was the original factory setup or not????

  27. #27allpinball2013-08-08 00:31

    The electric starter is the factory setup, as are the wires, but I suspect there may have originally been a switch involved instead of just touching the wires. Including a single wire for activating the alternator, the subject scoopmobile has only about 5 feet of wire present; just enough to make it start and charge the battery. Locals tell the story that once during a snowstorm, a chunk of snow fell and hit the starter wires and caused the scoopmobile to start itself. Neighbor called and asked who would be using the scoopmobile in the middle of the night, True story.

  28. #28allpinball2013-08-08 00:39

    Announcement: Scoopy is now on social media too: https://www.facebook.com/scopy.scobmoblie

  29. #29kshansen2013-08-09 14:27

    Hate to be accused of being a safety nanny but not sure I like the idea of using that platform attached to the bucket. Hope all the hoses on that old girl are not original. I wish I had a picture of the old Scoopmobile we had at one of out plants back in the early 1970's. As I recall it had a C or J Cummins six cylinder and was almost modern in design compared to this one four wheel drive and articulated steering as I recall. Just noticed that this one has a single sided boom! I thought JCB claimed to have invented that for their side-steers? Unfortunately we do have one of them, would much rather have this good old scoopy!

  30. #30chuck7672013-08-10 22:17

    I believe he used a chunk of 4X4 as a safety crutch in case a hose decided to let go.

  31. #31mcgyver28222013-10-16 12:40

    WABCO 300 Loader parts book needed I am looking for a parts book for my WABCO 300 Wheeloader. Do you know where I can find one>>MIke