Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cab door removal

rumblecloud · 2023-06-02 10:46

I’m thinking about removing the driver’s door (left side) to repair a break in the door frame. My question is the best way to do that. The manuals really don't cover it and a quick search didn't turn up anything either. I can remove the hinges or I can attempt to remove just the top glass. If I remove the hinges, it also affects the rear glass, but this seems like the simplest method to remove the door frame. Plus if I do t this way I will be able to work on removing the glass more safely on the bench. The rubber insulator washers need to be replaced. It also looks like the hinges are bolted thru the glass at the top and bottom only and that if I remove those two allen head bolts, it will also release the door frame and glass. Whaddya think? Door damage is to the frame right near the the door shock. Hard to get at to repair unless I remove it. Looks like it was whacked pretty good at one time. This is the rear window portion of the hinge, but typical of the attaching bolt. Thanks in advance for any and all advice. R

Replies7
  1. #1Tinkerer2023-06-02 12:21

    I wouldn't disturb the bolts that are in the glass. I usually remove the hinge pins. To reduce the chance of breaking the glass have someone help you remove the door. That is an awful dry looking pin, for a hinge that is bolted to the glass.

  2. #2Nige2023-06-02 13:06

    Can you manufacture a short pin that can be installed from the bottom in an upwards direction so that as you are pulling the main hinge pin out of the top you can use the dummy pin to keep at least the lower hinge for the rear window in place while you concentrate in getting the cab door off.? Basically a pin just long enough to span the distance between the two arrows.

  3. #3rumblecloud2023-06-02 18:09

    Agreed. Glass is way too expensive. And I know those thru-bolts are not gonna come out easy. Wish I could figure a way to replace the rubber washers that are providing the cushion for those bolts though. One thing at a time... Hadn't really thought of that, but that would prolly work. It's like a 3/8 inch dia pin so I am sure I can come up with something. Finding someone to lend a hand around here is difficult. I usually try to devise some work around to avoid trying to find a helper. There just isn't anyone near me who is capable. The break is in the frame jsut below the lower hinge. I'm hoping to weld it back together when I can get it on the bench. Not sure yet how that will impact the lower glass piece - might have to go with some sort of brace/splint kinda thingy. Thank you for the advice. Will post results when I get to fixin.'

  4. #4Tinkerer2023-06-02 20:57

    I usually use big nails to hang doors. Then put the pins in after the door is hanging with them.

  5. #5rumblecloud2023-06-02 21:51

    Well, I removed the lower pin and inserted a small bolt up through the bottom as I was removing the pin from the top. Used a pry bar with one hand pushing the bolt up and slid the pin upward with the other hand. That was easy....putting it back in however, not so much. I give up for tonight and will give it another shot tomorrow. The pin was dry, so I cleaned the groove and the zerk. When it goes back in tomorrow, I'll make sure it gets a nice coating. Oh yeah speaking of nails...there's a nine incher holding fort in hinge for the night.

  6. #6Tinkerer2023-06-03 09:22

    I don't know if you have tried it, but swinging the door slowly back n forth will help to get the pin in.

  7. #7rumblecloud2023-06-04 07:41

    Well I got it off, fixed, and back on with no further damage - yippee. It was worse than I thought. The entire hinge was separated from the door frame. I looked as if it had been welded on before. So it had either been bumped and or rusted before and finally gave out again. I am not a welder by any stretch. All I have is a small flux core job from Harbor Fright. I do have several grinders though The frame was a little bent up around the hinge from the prior damage, but I got that straightened out and the door went back on pretty easily as far as the hinge alignment. So I am pleased. I guess I am easily amused though. I spend a lot of time reading through other posts and am amazed at what you all go through with these machines. My problems so far have been so minor I feel kinda dumb even posting them. That said, I know my day is coming -- So I appreciate the attention and help you guys offer. Thanks. R