Hey guys, i have found a 81 mack dump for sale for 5 grand. It has a little rust, the box is kinda beat up, but its cheap! The guy said that the camelback suspension bushings needed to be changed. Has anyone out there done this before, and if so, how hard is it to do?
Most people dont attempt it on there own as you need some special tools like some heavy duty presses ( I was told 10,000lbs press was needed when we looked into trunion bushings on our old Mack) Seems to me like it wasn't much in material but a lot in labor. 5 Years ago I was quoted 3 to 4 grand if my memory serves me right.
Broken back oops I mean camelback suspensions can be a real PITA.
I had our local spring shop do some for me a few years ago. Bronze bushings and caps , I think. Now that i've typed this I cant remember the price. Maybe 1500? Good luck
Dirty,dirty,nasty job....Me and a buudy of mine always got stuck doing them on old trash trucks when they came in the shop...Real speacial times...Havent done one for about 10 years now and Im ok with it.
Well thanks for all the replies! Sounds like my money would be better off spent putting that repair money towards a higher priced truck
oh I dont know...I guess it would depend on the job it is going to do...I like the toughness of the suspension dont get me wrong...but beings how Im a mechanic, I just dont have a use for them..
The camelback suspension isn't the best riding suspension, but with an air ride cab and air seat it really isn't all that bad. When you get off road, that is when it really shines. I am off road a lot and only had to engage my interaxle twice for traction. They articulate very well and really provide excellent traction off road. Also, they are very lightweight as suspensions go allowing for more payload. The side to side sway with a full load is negligable, no tilt or sway when cornering with a full load or when off camber. Alignment of the rear ends is super easy with the adjustable drag link, which, by the way, is indestructable. If you can find a shop that is equiped to do the re-bushing, it isn't all that expensive. The bushings are cheap and it is at most a 2 day job. Even at a shop rate of $90/hr. it doesn't amount to much more than $1,500 total. Before you decide not to get the truck, check around in your area for a shop that can do the job. Good luck.
I feel like a dip&*#$, I am not sure where I came up with 3-4 grand, I remember getting a quote to do some repairs that came out to 10 grand total, I must have had some extra work stuck in there with the trunions!:Banghead