anyone know if a massachusetts operators license can be used to work in rhode island or what to do so i can take job in r.i. do i have to apply for endorsement for state or get new license any help greatly appreciated
LOL I learned the hard way on this one. RI has its on license and the Mass. one is not accepted. The Department of Public Saftey does routine job site checks done there so if you are operating for more then a few days your bound to get caught. Also all the locals get pissed when outsiders come in so they tend to call you in. It took me 7 weeks to get my RI hoisting license they coveiently said that next test was full and I had to wait to the next one. So I renew it each year now just so I dont have to go through the hassle. In Mass. I have never heard of a single job site inspection for hoisting license's by the department of public safety.
I have a question. Around here I have never heard of any type of equipment license for an operator. If you can find the key switch then your qualified:beatsme Is it just a northern thing or what??
Having browsed the forums for a while, I've pretty much come to that same conclusion Dirtman. I'm not aware of anything like that in Georgia either, so I can only assume that the South, atleast the eastside of it, isn't to big into equipment operator licensing. I've seen crane and forklift licenses but that goes with lifting equipment, which I think is pretty standard everywhere. I'm sure someone will correct us if we're wrong... :cool2
In Mass you must get a license to run a backhoe,loader,excavator, crane, and lull. Skid steers and mini excavators are normally exempt. The law states you need a license on any hoisting machinery where the height of the lift exceeds ten feet or the weight of the load exceeds 500 pounds or the capacity of the bucket exceeds 1/4 cubic yard capacity. I think the license is a good idea but I am sure its just a moneymaker for the state charging everyone 50 dollars.
Mass & RI require a License. NH, Vermont & Maine have no requirements. Don't know about Connecticut. I have both as I work in both states. Took me a while to get RI. Like Excavate said classes fill up and you have to wait.
does anybody here know were to call in R.I to apply for license
Here is the website with all the info http://www.dlt.state.ri.us/profregs/HoistMain.htm
I did work in Rhode Island with a MA license and had no problems what so ever. Nobody ever came into our site and hassled us about it.
I have a question...Exactly what do you have to do to get a license, as in what does the testing consists of etc?
Rhode Island has a different license. Connecticut has a written and practical test, Massachusetts is just a written test.
Hummm..maybe a bit like getting a fork lift certification here. Take the one day classroom and you're a certified to operate a fork lift. I mentioned this one before..but I'm still scratching my head
Here are a few questions I remember from my test. 1. There were about 10 questions on excavator hand signals which are different from crane hand signals. 2. What must you do before you dig? 3. Where is the idler roller located? 4. What color is green used for with dig safe markouts? 5. At what depth do you need a trench box? 6. What must you do within 18" of both sides of dig safe marks? I will add more when I think of them its been a few years. I think licenses are neccessary to assure everyone has basic saftey knowledge.
Did I pass? 1. woo, go, 2 hand stop, 1 finger hi, 1/2" back, 1' forward, little to the left, little to the right, lunch time,quit time. 2. call and get someone to paint lines on where they think the lines are... 3. opposite side of the sprocket/ front of machine 4. smelly when you accidently hit it.. sewer 5. when sides start to cave in 6 dig slower and hope you don't hit it
think question 5 you need to be more specfic , the answer there lookin for is over 5 feet if i remember right. i've been on jobs were the dept of labor and training guy showed upand the guy in the backhoe only had a mass one and as far as guy from DLT was concerned it was as good as none, the guy ended up with a 300 doller fine and the company got a 600 one for havin a guy without a license running a machine. needless to say i had finish the job
Question 4 is sewer/drainage. Another tricky one is what color is white? When the guy showed up on my job site I was sitting in the machine on the phone and he came over to me and ask for my license and stuff. Luckily he didnt see me "operate" the machine so I did not get fined. I had to hire a RI operater to run my machine. I used to go down on saturday and sundays and do most of the earthwork figuring the guy wasnt working. He never did come back.
I belive white is the only color you are supposed to use for marking your own excavation lines.
White paint/flags is the color you paint your own lines or to display the limits of your necessary locate.
hoisting license test Is the Massachusetts hoisting license test exam the same as Rhode Island test exam? same q's and a's?
kind of off topic, i live in MA and i am curious as to how i could obtain my hydraulics license when i tun 18 in a few months? thank you
License? We don' need no stinkin' license! Hello. This is Texas, there are absolutely no license requirements for a "Tractor" whatsoever as far as the operator goes. One can slap "Machinery plate" on a tractor and go trucking down the road, just not a "Controlled access highway". http://www.dot.state.tx.us/txdotefo...eportError.jsp&configFile=WFServletConfig.xml http://codes.lp.findlaw.com/txstatutes/TN/7/C/545/B/545.0651 http://www.county.org/resources/legis/documents/ruleoftheroad-SubtitleC.pdf If the tractor has the correct number and color of lights and is otherwise road-worthy it can be driven to and from school, I should know. Turn signals are not required but 2 headlights and 2 taillights are required. The trick is to replace the rear lug tires with 22.5 big truck tires and the front with trailer tires, small farm type tractor. A dimmer switch and 2 element headlights need to be fitted as well as a brake light switch and wiring.
This whole thing sounds like a scam to me..... reminds me of a joke I once heard about a duck hunter and a nosy game warden. That's for another day. In New Mexico we don't require any licenses for anything except a forklift and a crane. I have never been checked for a forklift license though, I recon it's just for companies to keep on file for insurance purposes. So correct me if I'm wrong, if I moved to Massatwoschlitz or Rhode Island and I had 15 years experience, I couldn't operate there unless I had a "license"? Next thing you know they're gonna want to charge you some stupid amount of money and make you take a stupid long test just to drive a semi truck.
yup thats correct. no license, cant operate. :Banghead
r.i. test no joke the first question on my test was how many people can safley ride on a backhoe? other questions relay to dig safe colors and what to do if you hit overhead wires and the like. also what 5 fluids should be checked before start up? can a grease fitting be over greased? what position should the buckets be in when streeting a backhoe? where should ladders be position in the trench? a lot of it was multiple choice. and they did not tell me my grade. just got a letter saying i passed and i can go pick up the card. i think it took about 15 minutes for the test. it was at ccri in warwick. i need to get my mass one now as we are working there a lot more often. we got a visit from osha while finishing up a job in portsmouth last fall and they checked all the operators. fun stuff. in rhode island the law is ANY GAS, DIESEL ,STEAM OR ELECTRIC POWERED MACHINE GREATER THAN 5 HORSE POWER THAT DIGS,LIFTS,GRADES.COMPACTS.HAULS. ETC. ETC. MUST BE OPERATED BY A LICENCED OPERATOR. not sure if it means plate compators too? what if joe home owner rents a bobcat from united rentals? does he need it too? ive heard stories of people running their own machine on their own property getting fined for not having one. i think farms are exempt.
How/where did you sign up for the test?
application http://www.dlt.state.ri.us/profregs/pdfs/ApplicationHoisting.pdf it needs to be sent to the department of labor and training at pontiac ave in cranston. i see they do the exam at the building monthly now.
here they have forklift certified .... which is basically a piece of paper with a few questions.... with the answers conveniently close by.... I think it's an OSHA requirement... you write your name ... mark the answers... sign and date.... then it's stuck in a file cabinet... It's done at the office or jobsite.... some places have a hardhat sticker
http://www.mass.gov/?pageID=eopster...terminalcontent&f=dps_eng_hoisting&csid=Eeops the application for the mass license is at the bottom, you need each states to legally work in each one , if u plan on working in mass or ri or even ct
Is that just for public work? Or does that hold true for mines and quarry's?
no license needed in Tx...............
no license here in NJ either except crane and forklift. How long has it been like that in your states? I bet it will become nationwide within 10 years. Seems like anyone can get a cdl here though. You should see all the trucks that get destroyed just at the warehouse we work at. Clutches, driveshafts and rearends about every other week.
Licanse! Hello. Don' ya just hate it when that happens? :tong
Here you need a state license for cranes, forklifts require an OSHA certification, no license required for dirt equipment.
Hammerdown20 is right only cranes and forklifts need licenses in NJ none what so ever for dirt equipment. the funny thing is the police dont even know what the proper license requirements are. I was driving a 200 dynahoe through bayonne one day when a most unfriendly police officer told me I could only be on my way after I produced a cdl license,( I had a class a cdl) but I told him I didnt need one& he called me a punk kid, (not a good idea to call a marine 6months out of thr corps that) so I alerted him that I wanted him to take his badge off and say that to me. being the coward he was and lucky for him he put his tail between his legs and crawled back under his rock somewhere. but I am sorry, the point is in NJ nobody has any idea. SORRY I still have some anger over that situation , and it has been 20 years.
sorry guys, I still get mad when I think of it, please excuse the hostility, I honestly apologize to my friends on HEF.
hoisting license test hoisting license test Is the Massachusetts hoisting license test exam the same as Rhode Island test exam? same q's and a's?
Last time I looked Wisconsin was up north and no license needed here. Did a job in Oregon state several years ago. Almost need a license to get a license there. When I was there they didn't like my crane operator's paper work from Texas, Longshoremen didn't like our welder's certification cause it wasn't from Oregon, just a total joke. OSHA man came a calling didn't like it cause none of were certified "High Iron" in Oregon state which is above 60 feet. Told me I should take certification class for everything I run while I was there so I would have it. Turns out all you have to do become a "certified instructor" is take a class for that too. Just a big money grab is all it looks like to me.
In Rhode Island, Massachusetts, and Conneticut you need to have a license to operate any heavy equipment. If you just run dirt equipment in R.I. you only need to get a payloader/backhoe license, which is a relatively easy test. You must have some machine knowledge, OSHA trench safety knowledge, and know your hand signals. In Ma. the testing is a little different. If you are running dirt equipment, you will need to get at least a 2B license, but that doesn't cover excavators. You'd be better off getting a 2A license which covers all dirt equipment. The tests in Ma. are similar to R.I., but are not the same. In Ma. you need to study the CMR which are codes and regulations for Ma. in addition to OSHA rules. Don't get me wrong, I still think the Ma. test is pretty easy but, you should read and know the rules. Shame on anybody who doesn't at least know the OSHA trenching rules. In CT. I'm not sure what the written test consists of. I was grandfathered in with that license. I do know that in CT. in addition to a written test you must preform a hands on field test, but I don't know what you're required to do. I think that all states should require licenses. I agree that it's a money grab for states, but at least it makes people learn some of the safety rules that are important to know in our trade. I see people that aren't licensed and don't have any knowledge of OSHA regs., and it shocks me. I mean, knowledge is power right? So if being licensed means you have at least some knowledge it makes you that much more valuable.
I'm wondering why the USA has no across the board rules on licensing and/or pay rates.... Makes me ill to think about it.
Its a union thing.
i never heard of operator license. i just heard license for heavy lifting equipment like crane etc.any one knows about it with confirmation.