Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Can the pressure relief valve /bypass “stick”?

Icecheez ยท 2020-05-03 12:55

In this hydrolic system, which has a gear pump, there is a pressure relief valve that diverts fluid going to the steering clutches to the primary clutch housing for lubrication. Either the pump has failed or the valve is stuck in bypass mode. Is that possible? Does it happen?

Replies11
  1. #1Bls repair2020-05-03 13:03

    Yes stuff gets stuck in them a lot .orings pieces of hose ,metal and more.

  2. #2Icecheez2020-05-03 13:14

    Thank you. So I suppose then next step is to find that valve and inspect it. How does that valve work?

  3. #3Icecheez2020-05-03 13:16

    And is there a way to "flush" it out with disassembly?

  4. #4Bls repair2020-05-03 13:46

    Not that I know of.

  5. #5Nige2020-05-03 13:48

    It would be nice to know which model of machine you're working on............ narrows the field down somewhat doncha know.

  6. #6Icecheez2020-05-03 15:01

    Sorry. Mitsubishi bd2g.

  7. #7Ronsii2020-05-03 15:12

    Are you sure the pump shaft isn't broken? also, have you read through some of the other BD2G threads on here? HeavyEquipmentForums

  8. #8Icecheez2020-05-03 16:06

    I've read a bunch, skimmed through a lot more. I've downloaded the service manual and the owners manual. Just trying to avoid unnecessary wrenching as this is not my area of expertise

  9. #9Icecheez2020-05-07 17:58

    So I got to the pressure relief valve. Removed it. Started it up. Almost fooled me. Didn't want to dump a bunch of fluid out so I started it and killed it. Saw some start to pour out. Did that again, same thing. But before I put the valve back in, just to be sure, I started it again and let it run. No flow. So it must be the pump. It was all oil /water that did come out at first. I'm thinking maybe the pump is so worn out that it manages to pump out hoist a wee bit. Or the oil was just what was left in the line... Looks like time to find a pump.

  10. #10Jw Slaughter2024-08-13 23:10

    Where is the pressure relief valve located ?

  11. #11Jw Slaughter2024-08-13 23:49

    Where is the hydraulic pressure relief valve on these dozers located