Any canadians bought equipment from iron planet or ritchie bros.? Anything to be aware of having equipment shipped from US to Canada. Is there brokerage fees? Any ifo will help. Thanks, Don
My only purchases from Ritchie Bros. have been from Alberta auctions in Grande Prairie and Edmonton. But I have brought various vehicles/equipment from the US to Canada. Be prepared to pay brokerage charges at the border, unless you accompany the equipment and do the paperwork at the border yourself. In addition to that, you will have to pay GST and PST. If the piece of equipment was manufactured in North America and falls under NAFTA, you likely won't have to pay duty. If manufactured outside North America, be prepared to pay duties - they can be modest or hefty depending on the country of manufacture. The US side of the border also may require a title and other documentation 24 hours or so in advance of the load arriving at the port of entry. That's what I can tell you, based on my experiences. Call US and Canada Customs at the port of entry where you plan to import the item for additional info.
I import equipment all the time. Use a broker. Brokerage fees are very minimal and the paperwork gets done right which keeps the truckers happy. You also don't have to file taxes as that is included in the brokerage fees. As of last fall your broker has to file clearance with the outgoing USA port 72 hrs before crossing. I use Percy Davis brokers from Regina, Sask, their phone number is 306 652 2662. Stay away from Livingston Brokers.
I bought 2 excavators from ironplanet. Both out of the States. Its pretty straight forward, but i will say I bought the units so cheap that the seller decided they wanted to keep one. I was on the phone yelling at one of the VP's at ironplanet just to get the transaction done. They already had my $$$ (125,000)! Anyway, i questioned thier integrity as a business because they seemed to be favouring VOLVO Credit (the seller) instead of following their own rules. Eventually i yelled enough and they complied. To clarify, when my truck got to site to pickup, parts had been removed by the volvo dealer. The transaction became a pissing match between the dealer(the original seller) and volvo credit ( the lien holder) I was a third party to it all, i just wanted the machine with all the parts i paid for. They say that transactions going bad at ironplanet runs around 2%, but i'm not so sure. Otherwise, i would do it again.
I thought IP would be more standup than that! I have been looking at telehandlers on there.
You'ld think so wouldn't ya? But Volvo Credit is a big customer and in my case IP favoured them. I pounded the table pretty hard until they offered $3700 US rebate on the price. So I took that, and replaced the component for around $8500 Cdn. But like I say, I don't think my case was typical. And both machines turned out great otherwise.
I should add i used the broker the trucking company liked to work with, and the brokerage was $75 cdn for each machine plus GST. It couldn't have worked any better. I also gave the selling dealers a hundred each to wash the machines, and they did a good job for me. Canadian customs is really anal about not bringing dirt into the country, and as a farmer, i can respect that.
Watglen, Which trucking company did you deal with? Thanks
A local guy from ancaster ontario. Fairway transport i think...
hey fboy, we've bought equipment from both iron planet and rbauction, and had them shipped back to MB. We always use deckx, they have their own brokerage company called exportx i think. they always look after everything and tell you what you need to do.
Ah Deck X great company !!!!!
we just bought a 772g grader from austin texas and a 769 truck from phoenix arizona all bought online off Ritchie Bros. my bosses said it was simple and the prices where better when you shop around. the equipment cam in mint.
Equipment that crosses the Canada/Us border in either direction MUST be free of dirt. Agriculture inspections are required on either side of the border and of course there is a fee on the Canadian side, don't believe USDA charges on south bound shipments. Be good to you trucker and have you equipment CLEAN before he/she arrives. It's time consuming for them to have to wait for this to be completed OR worse yet try and get it done on the road.
I am considering buying a dually pickup out of the states on Ironplanet and importing it into Canada. What requirements am i going to have to deal with?
The title MUST be faxed to US Customs minimum 72 hours before your arrival so they can check it for theft and/or liens. If you fail to do so they will hold the truck. Don't just drive over the border as Canada customs will turn you back if you can't prove that you reported to US Customs. When you fax the title to US Customs keep the fax report that confirms they received it as they will say they didn't receive it! Call US Customs to get their hours for processing this paperwork. Weekdays only, 9 to 5 I think. Also not all ports do vehicle importation...check also You will require a customs broker, UNFORTUNATELY Livinston/Livingstunned/Livingstoned is one of the few that can import vehicles. Canadian Tire in Canada is one of the few approved garages to do an importation inspection. It is a relatively simple transaction...make sure you keep the fax transmission receipt!
That sounds painless. Thanks for the reply.
Well this is interesting. I got a call from ironplanet last night. They were following this thread and wanted to make sure everything was good with the excavator transaction. Weird huh? They are going to send me some shirts and hats! hahahaha Fantastic! Everything's coming up watglen!
I tip my hat to you Ironplanet. That is customer service.:drinkup:canada
This is why I use a broker. I just fax them the bill and they look after it. They know the rules and the ins and outs and with a good broker your paperwork is 100% correct. I've never known anyone to have trouble driving a vehicle across if they use a broker. Are you sure that Livingston is one of the only ones that do vehicles? Every bona fide broker that I know of does vehicles. Here in Grand Prairie Canadian Tire is the worst place to get an importation or any inspection done. Without fail they'll tell you your brake lights don't work even though you checked them when you dropped it off at the garage.
As as driver/dispatcher I don't take anyone's word about this anymore. Had 2 trucks stuck @ the border for 72 hours. Had to fight like HELL for remuneration from the customers as "their" broker didn't do "their" job! If your broker doesn't do the job and a truck gets held @ the border the couple of hundred bucks in brokerage fees will be cheap compared to the demurrage the trucks will want. And in case you're asking brokers feel NO obligation to reimburse customers over this. Do the brokers actually do importations OR do they send it to Livingston and bump Livingstons invoice? Livingston is the broker coming into Southern Ontario that does vehicles.
I was just about to post in the forums when I found this tread . I'm looking to buy a skid-steer from Ironplanet and I will call Deckx tomorrow. What are the import requirements for skid steers? So, far I got this: * bill of sale * dirt free machine I notice that some skids are missing the Emission Control Label or CE Certification Label. Does that matter? I need to make sure I don't buy something and then regret it...
I spoke with Deckx and the skid steer will also need the Title document. Does IronPlanet sell all machines with a title?
Anything with a motor will need 72 hours notice. You will need a Country of Origin Certificate. The requirements are more detailed than a Ho Pac. I brought a Ho Pac across the border that I had purchased near Seattle. I did not use a broker. I was in the Canadian Customs office at midnight, I was their only customer and they babysat me through the paperwork. I had told the border that it was for my excavation business. I should have had a Country of Origin Certificate, they accepted the Made in USA sticker on the equipment. They asked about an Importer's Number?? I didn't have one. You are allowed a one time exception to use a number they give you. The experience was very pleasant but only because the agents were very helpful to a rookie. My advice to you is call Canada Customs and do your homework first if you are importing it yourself.
I have been looking at kubota mini ex's on iron planet but they all seem to have "not for export" note,whats up with that?Does it aply to Canada?
The importer number is simply your gst number with the 't' with replaced with an "L" or "M" if i recall correctly. I could have that wrong, but if you have a GST number you're all set.
My question had nothing to do with gst.On every iron prlanet auction for a kubota excavator for sale in the u.s. ther is a note that say's" not for export"my question is does this apply to bringing it in to canada or does it refer to out side north america?
Give Ironplanet a call they have a 1-888 number. i'm sure they could tell you what you need to know.
Ok thanks
what did ironplanet have to say about the not for export label?
They say i can not bring in to canada.Aperantly kubota wants to ensure that i have to be gouged at a "local" dealer (haven"t found one in manitoba yet )but i am not ready to get bent over for new price any way.