Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Labor rate, Tech pay

GOINGBROKE ยท 2009-11-20 08:26

Curious as to what labor rates are charged in different areas. Also ball part figure on what companies are paying techs - hourly or flat rate? Were around $85 hr. Cat is $105 so were on the bottom end. Paying $25 flat rate hr. Also how is mileage charged? Seems like a thousand different ways to figure it. Thanks

Replies17
  1. #1D1552009-11-20 12:48

    Dealer I work at is $88/hr and $3.25/mile.

  2. #2MrKomatsu2009-11-20 17:39

    Here in Texas.....Komatsu...$88.00(shop)...$105.00(field) Cat....92.00/shop....108.oo/field case and johndeere the [email protected] per mile....

  3. #3MrKomatsu2009-11-20 17:49

    Here @THER we have i pretty good shop/feild rate70/75..plus 2.00 per mile

  4. #4LonestarCobra2009-11-20 19:51

    Our Cat dealer was $105.00/HR last time I heard. I charge $65.00 for mechanic work and $45.00 for welding. The locals around here appreciate my price compared to the dealers.

  5. #5QuickTrax2009-11-20 20:56

    Undercarriage shop----60.00/hour shop----65.00 hour field $2.00/mile

  6. #6RobVG2009-11-20 22:38

    What's a "Flat rate hr." ?

  7. #7GOINGBROKE2009-11-20 23:39

    paid by hours that I bill for the job, not necesarily what time the job took. I do this only for in shop work.

  8. #8RobVG2009-11-21 00:16

    Not sure I understand. If the hours you bill are different than the hours it took to do the job, what can cause the differences? (I've haven't worked for a "for profit" shop")

  9. #9GOINGBROKE2009-11-21 04:33

    Dont know that is is done much in the heavy equipment end. A lot of the truckshops here have gone to flat rate. Say the book time for a clutch is 10 hrs, the mechanic busts his butt and gets it done in 5 hrs the job still pays 10 hrs. Gives the mechanic a reason to work and still fair to the customer. Say the mechanic takes 15 breaks, and the job takes 20 hrs, the job still pays only 10 hrs. I have found that if a mechanic does a good report on his work and the guy doing the billing is fair, everyone can make good money and still have a happy customer. Then if there is rework at the fault of the mechanic, the hours billed are 0, so then the mechanics pay is also 0. By paying this way it helps me know what an hour of labor costs.

  10. #10grandpa2009-11-21 07:52

    when u work on your own equipment the flat rate is 0 the amount billed is 0 and the net profit is 0 but the rewards are pricless.

  11. #11GOINGBROKE2009-11-21 08:04

    grandpa, The more the shops charge, the more you save, more profit for you!

  12. #12RobVG2009-11-21 13:18

    I understand now GOINGBROKE- Thanks But, No matter how hard we try, everyone makes a mistake now and then. I assume if the mechanic knows the consequences of forgetting to tighten a nut he'll have to be more thorough and take responsibility for his work but I don't think I'd want that in the back of my mind while doing a rush job. It's bad enough wondering if you may have missed something even without the fact it could come from your pocket. But I have a different perspective.

  13. #13GOINGBROKE2009-11-21 14:00

    thats why i think the pay is more than just regular hourly. Makes the mechanic take some responsabilty for there work works good for some and not for others

  14. #14Drifter2009-11-24 22:16

    $160 an hour over time is more.

  15. #15CinOK2009-11-25 02:42

    I dont think i would want to be on flat rate for any major jobs to many varialbes with the equipment. Worked flat rate on on auto and truck and ran into enough problems.

  16. #16John C.2009-11-25 12:02

    I believe there are laws that prevent employers from paying nothing to an employee that makes a mistake that costs. I suppose you could classify your employees as independent contractors and pay them on a bid status but the Supreme Court kind of screwed that up with the Microsoft case. I have guaranteed my work for years and done a couple of free redos, but I own the business. I know of no qualified mechanics in my area that would work for an employer for zero pay for mistakes. Mistakes happen for what ever reason and that is just part of being in this business. I have terminated employees in the past for mistakes or not making bids because of work habits. My rates are at 80% of the average of the two highest charging equipment dealers in my area. I charge expenses, travel time and mileage point to point.

  17. #17Hardline2009-11-29 18:54

    I own a small on site repair business so I do not have "shop" rates. My fees are $65hr with a 1 hr minimum and $1.00 a mile round trip. It has worked out so far. Edit this is in the Dallas Ft Worth Texas area. JJ