Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Carriages

TorkelH ยท 2011-01-02 05:44

I have tons of carriage pictures - Found out it was time to post them

Replies24
  1. #1JTL2011-01-02 10:32

    Heres a little Eaglet and a Christy Carriage

  2. #2J&R_INC.2011-01-02 13:43

    Msp Does anyone know where there is a right hand dropline MSP laying around? I want an extra

  3. #3TorkelH2011-01-02 18:44

    More carriages Shotgun, a Boman, Eagles and the last, is that an MSP???

  4. #4TorkelH2011-01-02 18:56

    More carriages 2 Bomans, Eagles, Danebo and Boman again.

  5. #5TorkelH2011-01-02 19:17

    More carriages 3 Drum carriages (is this Thunderbird or T-MAR?), second is a Young (with the proud owner) (hope I'm forgiven to put out his picture here without asking), #3 is Skagit Skycar? (with fat guy) , and last Young on a MMB Franklin River 046 slackline show.

  6. #6Stevenbrla2011-01-02 22:07

    Thanks for the cool pics TorkelH! I was looking at your pics, and watching this stupid axman show, and realized that I'm probably the ONLY one looking at your pics who doesnt understand how these things work. Care to share a simple explanation? Is the power supplied by the machine on the ground? What's inside those niftly little doors, and what's it doing? Steve

  7. #7TorkelH2011-01-03 05:11

    Hello, and happy new year! It will be fare more experts than me here on the forum, but I give it a try! Try look at this paper, it will give you some explanation: http://ir.library.oregonstate.edu/xmlui/bitstream/handle/1957/7617/RC3.pdf?sequence=1 Try to understanding the difference between a skyline and a running skyline (combined haulback and skyline - swing yarders are suitable for running skyline, grappleyarding is typical a rs operation). Towers of today would typically run a standing skyline or slackline with a motorized Boman, most commonly gravity logging (you dont need to use a haulback line, you have control over the logs not coming down on you and it's easy to rig because you dont need to carry anything uphill). This have its own winch and skidding drum with e.g 400' of 3/4 drop line. Hope this will be to some help!

  8. #8furpo2011-01-03 16:04

    TorkelH; the carrage you ask about in post #4 looks to me like a Danebo. I had a paper somewhere with all the Danebo carrage sizes on it. I'll try find it. I'm wondering why you would need to have the drop line on a given side? Surely you can just gromet the drop line to either side of the wear rope.

  9. #9BDFT2011-01-03 21:35

    The sheave that the dropline runs over usually has a pinch roller that allows the line to be fed out as the main runs out and the slackpuller runs in. The dropline is usually shackled to an eye in the main allowing for (reasonably) quick replacement. At least that's the way I always rigged it. Here's a terrible Paint drawing I conjured up that will probably confuse the issue even more.

  10. #10furpo2011-01-04 00:33

    Yeah that is similar to how I do it to. We call the Chunk line the wear rope. Instead of using shackles I use a gromet, you guys call them Molly Hogans. All the MSP carrages I've used have the drop line to the right of the wear rope but if you have one that goes to the left surely you can just shackle or gromet the drop line to the left at the connection to the main and wear rope? Murk100 suggested to use a connection called a D for quick changing ropes or to a grapple. Im yet to track them down

  11. #11TorkelH2011-01-04 13:30

    Mollys vs shackles furpo; is it working fine to use a molly (wire connection) on the mainline? I had allways trouble when we tried to make an eye to eye connection on mains or haulback, it would just wear out on the first couple of turns. When using a shackle between the eyes it works out fine, but then the problem is too narrow sheaves in the tower (of course these could be changed). It would be of great advantage if I could just use a molly and it dont wear out the eyes in no time. BDFT; absolutely a good paint drawing, normally I would connect the slackpuller direct to the shackle in the main, is the use of the chunk line because of extra line wear at the carriage? And, it can be no difference in use of a MSP carriage where the dropline is threaded on the left hand side compared to the right hand side. I have mostly been using pretty small drum carriages where u store 150' of drop line in the middle drum section. We allways use the main on the right hand side and the slackpuller on the left, but its no problem to thread it so the slackpuller is used as main and oposite (yarder is double main)

  12. #12furpo2011-01-04 14:09

    It s much better to use a molly that an eye to eye connection. You will get a day out of a molly before it requires replacement. A molly can be put in in about the time it takes to do a manual line change (road change) so this is a good time to change the molly. It is a must that the molly is done correctly. The BC workers board has a .pdf document on splicing that can be downloaded. I like the idea of using the D's but have never done so. The company I am working for this year grapples all the time and they just run the slackline through the sheave to the three way slider. If I was doing more MSP work then I would look at using the D's

  13. #13BDFT2011-01-04 15:28

    You can't use D rings if you expect the lines to go through the fairleads. A Washington might have big enough leads but I doubt a Madill would. If you are going to run a yarder you have to get good at splicing anyway. TorkelH: We used the chunk line because of the extra wear. I've ran setups with the slackpuller run through the carriage but you end up cutting chunks off it all the time. Then one line gets shorter and the run out at different speeds. A huge pain in the ass.

  14. #14J&R_INC.2011-01-04 22:25

    The reason I would need a rh carriage is because a TSY 155 has the main and slackpullimg drum next to each otherinstead of one behind the other. The sheaves in the tower are also next to each other. Most msp carriages are LH dropline and when you rig it the slack side most always rubs on the dropline. It's also confusing to rig because it always looks backward like when you accidentally splice the dropline to the wrong side of the chunk line, we call it a yo yo in Ca. Because it just goes back and forth.

  15. #15NZLOG2011-01-05 00:56

    Swivel dees are available at shores in NZ...As far as using them on a msp carriage its ok on the yo yo line, but no good on the mains they just cut threw the line when passing threw the sheaves with the weight on... If you are changing from grapple to drop line on a long setting daily you only want to have one main with a splice in it!! Having the yo yo line on the 155 mentioned crossing under the main must look wrong and probably means more line wrap. Ross corp built there own carriages and you think they probably had one to suit..

  16. #16HCF2011-01-21 21:56

    here's a pic of a bowman mk3 or 4 don't remember. Appears to be in pretty good shape.

  17. #17tree farmer2011-03-10 22:25

    Christy Log Carriage Information for the cause.

  18. #18tree farmer2011-03-13 19:45

    Running skyline intermediate support and multispan MSP carriage Patent Here we have a patent assigned to the USFS in Montana. The complete patent "wrapper" is available as a PDF online. A review of academic literature says this system does not exist. The intermediate support with the sheaves and the skyline enclosure rail is a neat idea. The reciprocating flip-flop action of the carriage's double sheave and that of the intermediate support sheaves reduce strain on individual components when the carriage passes the support. The enclosure rail not only secures the skyline cable, but also prevents it from being deformed by the carriage.

  19. #19TorkelH2011-04-17 07:07

    A carriage for the Mark 6 Large Boman for the Berger Mark 6, carriage in the background.

  20. #2069hayes2011-04-17 13:27

    Maki Could anyone give me any info on this carriage?, Thanks

  21. #2169hayes2012-04-04 23:34

    just bumping this back up to see if anyone can give me any info on this Maki carrige, Thanks

  22. #22bushman12012-04-05 10:00

    I think maki was the first one to come with this type of carriage(seperate skyline clamp,release skid line).Read a article years ago that he got the idea looking at a hayrack in a barn.I see pat. pending on it i wonder if it is the original one(design)

  23. #231242012-06-23 11:54

    Does any one have any tricks to avoid line wrap on the dropline when using a young mechenical carriage?

  24. #24boardbysled2013-05-20 00:25

    Old skycar I found. No name or identifying plates.