I owned three 1966 Fairlane's. One GT 4sp and two GTA's. the GTA's were one red and the other white. The GT was red also. Truck Shop
Nice, which engine. I had a 66 Olds 4-4-2 Tri-power, 4 spd. 70. Camero. Presently a Taurus SHO, twin turbo (2010) The others 4wd trucks, Bronco, Blazer.
So many I could not begin to list them all. I have had 23 vehicles that I would consider my primary "daily drivers" in the 51 years I have owned cars. However, my favorites were : 1969 Mustang Mach I. 1966 GTO, 1969 Chevy Blazer, and a 1974 1/2 Dodge Ramcharger. I have also owned around 40 vehicles that were toys/hobbies/projects, and another 20 vehicles I used in my company operations. I guess you can say I am a "car guy".
My pet was a '68 Chevelle SS396 with a Muncie 4 spd. Had the 375 HP solid lifter engine. That actually sucked because after a weekend of racing, you had to set valves.
The GT was a model and the white GTA was a 390 also. The red GTA was a Saturday night special, 428 built to 427 specs with a manual C-6 even at the time it was well over 500 hp. With a 850 three barrel fuel didn't last long. Others I owned. 2-1963 1/2 fast back Galaxy's- one 390 the other a 406 4sp 2-1956 short box Ford pickups 1-70 Olds HO 455 4sp - a pile 1-64 Olds Cutlass convertible 1-65 Impala 327 1-84 Dodge short box 4x4 1-67 Plymouth GTX 440 auto My current and only use for trips-07 Nissan 350, fun highway car. Truck Shop
One day I hope to have a cool car. Have owned a pickup truck from every one of the Big 3 though. Thinking I'd like an '88 IROC Z or a '91 454SS as my first project vehicle (after the W900 RV hauler is finished)
Main one I had was ‘66 mustang building a ‘78 f250 crew cab Cummins and just another 4-5 newer model pickup trucks
Tractor guy, would love to see your crew cab cummins build, my baby is a 84 GMC 4×4 with a 94 12 valve that I swapped in. 5 speed nv4500, gear vendor overdrive with 4.11 gears and an exhaust brake. I plan on keeping it forever.
Always been a mopar nut
Besides the SHO I have a 1990 Bronco, 5.8, limited slip diffs fore and aft. 80K miles. F-350 PSD 4wd, 110 hp tumer, large exhaust. 2o001 56K miles In the olden days a 1950 Ford, bored, Windfield cam, Edelbrock heads, 3 Stromberg 97's Also a few chevy's JPV, good looking truck!
Ford XC GS Panel Van or shaggin wagon, which were all the rage here in the late 70s, early 80s. Mine was a 76 302 4 speed. Sold it for $2000 in 1984, would be worth, easily, ten times that now.
I had a 1968 chevelle, started life with a 307, upgraded to a 350 with a turbo 400 and 12 bolt posi rear...restored it once and then during the 2nd resto, just got too busy with life and sold it off....now im looking for another to rebuild and keep...
I had an 05 ram , put a quarter million on her. Swapped the tired ass 4.7 for a hemi after I gave it to my daughter. She put another 12k only to get T-boned by a semi with my wife. That truck gave its life to save my family.
This is my brat when we were swapping engines. She really took ownership of this beast.
I've had a few fun street cars but most of my toys were road race. In high school I had a 75 280Z with the diesel crank in it which make it a full 3.0 liter. Triple Webbers, header, truck 5 speed etc. It was a salty little sucker. Any stock or mildly modified 5.0 mustang or Z28 saw nothin but taillights from it. I have the 94 Mustang GT my dad bought new, 63k miles. Had a Subaru WRX, Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT. Still have my first vehicle, 72 Chevy Cheyenne Super. It's had many motors over the years from mild to wild. It's patiently waiting in the pasture for another lease on life. Had many dodge cummins from 12v up to the CR 6.7. Race cars are another story. I've owned or driven 33 Plymouth (made laps at Indy in it), 59 Kellison J5, 64 Vette, Mckee CanAm car (by far the scariest I've driven), 68 Vette (won at Miami Homestead in it), 77 Olds Nascar (verified legit Cale Yarborough car, won a few class races in it here and there), Datsun 510, 65 Mustang, 63/64 Falcon, Cobra Kit car (loads of fun!) The list is long as I raced/built/prepped for a friend so I had a lot of fun for several years. I have an Ernie Irvan NASCAR that will hit the track someday. Damn college tuition sure makes the racing budget tight. Did I say tight? How about nonexistent! Haha I'm too cheap to buy pics from the local road course so I always screen snap the proofs. Here's the Yarborough car at Hallett a few years ago doing some testing. If you'll look closely the right front is off the ground. I had fresh slicks and a good track that day so I was drivin like I stole it! It still has the Hurst period correct brakes on it. We had some modern pads made but they still don't hold a candle to anything current! If you start close to the front on a tight track you might get lucky and keep a position or two because that Olds is so big they can't get around it!
That's pretty cool. Its a rarity to see women who are in to cars (at least from my experience anyways).
Out of 50 or more my two favorites were a 1970 Plum Crazy purple Dodge Dart Swinger with the 340 and 4 speed. It's picture is on the old iron forum in some job scraper pictures from about 1972. The other was a 1969 Chevelle with a built 396 with a 4 speed. With 4-56 gears and 7" wrinkle wall slicks it would lift the front wheels in the lower three gears. It had a side view of a blonds head painted on each front fender with her hair streaming all the way back to the quarter panels turning into flames as it went across the doors. Sold it to a friend that totaled it street racing. Sure wish I still had a picture to post but they disappeared over the years. Edit: Also had a Plum Crazy purple 1969 Corvette Sting Ray convertible with twin Holly's, roller cam, nitrous oxide, and a bunch of other goodys on a built 350 in it. When done we scheduled a appraisal meeting with our insurance rep to get it properly insured. We drove to Bismarck the night before and stayed at a Holiday Inn with a enclosed parking lot. Next morning the car was gone. Yup, we got screwed and lost 2 years of time and about $12,000 on that one. They did eventually bust the ring and found a few pieces that helped put them away. Manly the dual carb linkage that I built and the firewall section. I had repaired the firewall that had been fire damaged in a engine fire before we bought it. I put my initials in the fiberglass in 8" letters swirling them in the glass just for kicks. Was not noticeable unless you knew to look. Had pictures of both. 8 prosecuted and only one got more than time served. About 3 months because they couldn't make bail. The one got a year, 4 more months with time served and good behavior. They figure they stole over 30 hot cars. OK, Long time ago, rant over.
A pic of my brother in-law Sonny Earhardt standing with his bosses. Sonny was quite a mechanic, he passed away some years back from agent orange. Sonny had quite a life with the racing end of things and many stories to tell. Truck Shop
Thats no woman, she's my daughter. She'll cuss and scrap like any guy. It's real fun to watch. She loved that truck. She went after the driver immediately after the accident. If it wasn't for a trooper on the spot, it could've gotten interesting.
Well this probably puts me at the bottom of the pool here but this was one of my favorites over the years: Yep, a 1966 Corvair 140 horse Corsa. A couple stories connected with this one. First is this car replaced my 1964 Plymouth Savoy, yea the bottom of the price list model with the old slant six and three on the column. Problem with the Plymouth was older brother borrowed it to go pick up his stuff from college one weekend. He was a little tired and stopped for a nap on his way home. "Woke up" after short nap at started on his way again. Note the "guotes" around the words woke up! Next thing he remembered is seeing a truck shoot by on his right going the opposite direction. That was close he thought! Next problem is that truck was pulling a flat bed trailer. Not a good thing for a little Plymouth. Unfortunately there were some fatalities in the accident as duly noted in the police report, yes the poor fish in the aquarium riding in the back seat did not make it. They did get a little revenge on brother as they threw the aquarium at his back leaving an inch and half cut! Almost for got to mention the Plymouth did manage to bend the axle on the flat bead! Well in need of a car I went to the Chevy dealer in the next torn and came home with the above Corvair. It served me well for maybe a year then the brother, you know the fish killer I mentioned above, decided to get married. While I was driving this Corvair from the wedding Church to the Reception an old guy in a big Buick decides to run a stop sign just as I got to the intersection. T-boned him right behind the drivers door at about 30-35 mph! Spun both cars close to 180º. Need I say that was the end of little silver Corvair? Fortunately all three of us in the car only had some fairly minor cuts or bruises and after being check out a hospital, which as luck would have it was only 1/4 miles away, we all managed to get to the reception it time to see two of my cousins get it to a fight that mom put a quick stop to. I think funwithfuel's daughter and my mom would have been good friends!
Landrover Defender 130 crew cab pickup (my 4th one). Unreliable, terrible build quality, uncomfortable, but an iconic shape. Graham
I always thought the Corvair's had a cool look of there own . What the hell does Ralf Nader know about vehicles other than " ambulance chasing " for the next client . Yenko Stinger
Posted this on another thread . Pretty cool event at the local airport . Any one could enter with fee & inspection of the car . Hope they come back next year . HeavyEquipmentForums
That looks like it's at Watkins Glen judging by the barrier. I raced with one at VIR year before last. Very fast cars and being heavy rear they do well on wet tracks! A friend has a slick Corvair pickup. Handy little side tailgate/ramp!
Junkyard were you referring to the picture of my silver Corvair? Because that picture was taken by me sitting on the roof of my parents house! Not that far from the Glen but still about 60 miles away!
Lol, the one TD stuck on there of the Yenko after your post. Side note, the Glen is fast. I've got sufficient fortitude but racing that close to unforgiving barriers is intimidating! Then you go to the modern track in Austin, Tx COTA. Stupid fast and TONS of runoff area.
Don't feel bad kshansen. My classic car isn't nearly as nice as yours was. I was a spunky 14 years old, which in Iowa means you can have a "learners permit" at 14, with a written test- then you could drive with a adult. Due to the rural nature of much of Iowa, at that time (1986 or so) you could also get a "school permit", which enabled you to drive to and from school and "school" activities, as soon as you took, and passed, a driving skills test at the license department. I turned 14- written test that saturday, and the skills test the next weekend- they wouldn't let you take them both the same day. I had a July birthday- so I was a "legal" driver two weeks after turning 14, (I'd been farm driving much earlier) and I was driving a 1967 olds, back and forth to school. I actually drove every day the next summer for a month, back and forth to school to take mandatory drivers ed. It blows my kids minds today, that I drove back and forth to school everyday for a year, then drove back and forth that next summer for drivers ed. I digress from the car story though.... MY 1967 olds was not the 4-4-2 two door muscle machine. Mine was a four door hand me down with two mismatched doors. My grandmother had pulled out in front of someone, got t boned, and was afraid to drive afterwards. It was 4 door and white, baby blue interior, with a green seat cover on the front seat, covering the pristine vinyl bench underneath. It had a aftermarket under dash AM/FM stereo, and a speedo that went to 120mph, and I tried every big hill around, and could never get it to hit it. It was not a chick magnet, but then again, I wasn't much of a chick magnet either, but the car certainly didn't help. I don't think I have any pictures of the one I drove, but it looked about like this one. It was actually a much nicer car than my later truck- a 1972 chevy 1/2 ton 2WD, with a transplanted 305. It was forest green with bondo grey, with slight wisps of duct tape peeking out from under the bondo. The bed was rusted so bad and the sides were flopping around, so I removed the bed, and drove bare frame for a year or two. It was okay until the gravel roads got wet, then it was hard to see out the back windows. Rocks would tend to shot peen your arms, mid bicep to elbow, in dry weather. But boy would it spin the tires on wet pavement. Not from sheer hp or anything, just lack of weight. AHH, good times........
Ken was thinking about Watkins Glen race track when he snapped the photo of the Silver Corvair . Nice ride kshansen . Pontiac had a similar version of the Chevy Corvair but the name escapes me ?
Don't recall any other GM product with the flat six air cooled engine. I do know one of the other GMs Pontiac, Buick or Olds that used the trans axle out of the Corvair but with an engine up front with a flexible drive shaft goin to the trans-axle in the rear. Have to do some digging to find that one! Well did the shovel work and found that the car I was thinking of was a early 1960's Pontiac Tempest. https://www.hemmings.com/magazine/hmn/2004/02/Pontiac-Tempest--1961-1963/1280492.html
D/L: 10/10/68 Total driven (added all odos)= 1,000,000 miles. Own or owned: 1967 Ford Mustang Sprint Convertible, 289/C4+shift kit, Lime Gold/Black vinyl 1970 VW Beetle 1650, cam, weber 2bbl, 4sp Hurst, Green/Black leatherette 1975 VW Super Beetle LaGrande, Lime Green/Tan cloth, 4sp Hurst, loaded 1979 Mustang Cobra, 2.3T/5sp Hurst, Black/Black vinyl 1985 Ford Ranger XL, 2.3/5sp, 7' bed, Gray/Burgundy cloth 1985 Ford LTD LX 5.0, HO/AOD, Gray/Charcoal cloth 1993 Ford Ranger XLT, 2.3/5sp Hurst, 7' bed, Bright Calypso Green/Gray cloth Currently driving the 79 and 93
That's it Ken ! My old employer had one , remember the flexible drive line .
The only pic I have left of my sand rail or any other things from that period of my life. My ex wife burned damn near all my photos she was so nice a wonderful person. Summer of 1979 at S.I.R. 2180 stroker with 48 mm webers close ratio 3rd and 4th-anything over a 110 the front end would start to lift and try to blow over. And some Toronado's I restored for other people. Truck Shop
I loved my little Benz until this Saturday when a Suburban came up behind me at 45 and never even braked. I was waiting at a light with my two little girls in back and he launched me into a Corolla and the Corolla into an F350. But I'm sure it was an important text he was reading
Hope everyone is okay, I bet you were glad to be in the benz instead of one of those little smart cars, where the back window sets against the back of the seat. One of my kids wanted one of those little bitty cars, I told them we look for big and ugly for first cars, lots of cushion for the first accident.
At least you've got the right attitude.....
If it had been a little warmer I would have been driving this, the accident is making me reconsider having my bus as a daily driver through the summer
Was thinking back on some other cars I had owned and figured this one might be about as far away from the silver Corvair as I could get! This one was two cars before the Corvair. It was something of a hand-me-down. Brother, AKA "the fish killer", owned it first. Then he sold it to dad who in turn sold it to me! The one in picture is just one I found on the inernet, but color is pretty close. It had a 383 four barrel with push button auto! That big tank of a car would chirp the rear tires when it hit 2 nd gear! Plus as I recall it almost always manage 18-20 mpg on regular gas. Not too shabby for the tank it was in the late `60's early `70's
My dad has a four door ford pickup 1/2 ton (2012 ish), and he keeps track of every gallon of fuel, and the five year average is around 17mpg. His truck before was a 1995 1/2 ton dodge, that he probably put 250,000 on, lifetime was 14.9. My wife's 2006 honda pilot gets right at 17mpg average. Her 2001 astro van from before the pilot was good for 15. Her 95 bonneville was a little better at 20-25. My old 88 suburban (350) would get 15 pretty steady, 18 on a good day. Progress is amazing isn't it. And that is one distinctive looking car, wouldn't have trouble spotting it in the mall parking lot.
My favorite will always be my first, cost me a flat $100 from my Great Aunt. 1954 Olds 88 2dr Holiday Coupe. Cast Iron Hydramatic, 324cu in V8 with a Carter AFB on it. Awesome rust turd but man it would run.
'61-'63 Pontiac Tempest used the transaxle and "rope drive". I have both a '61 Tempest (parts car) and a '62 Buick Special Station Wagon (conventional driveline). Buick is my project vehicle. I welded in a Mustang 2 front cross member and narrowed a ford 8.8 rear end. Now its has disc brakes in all four corners. Set it up for a Grand National turbo powered 6 cylinder and that engine is currently sitting in the engine bay. However, I've changed directions and decided to go period correct and am going to drop in a Buick 401 nailhead. I have the nail head on standby for fab work. I don't have pictures on this computer. I'll post some up soon.
Well the first car that I believe I bought was the 1950 Buick Special. We had taken over the side lawn mowing jobs from dad when my older brother got his driving license, about 1966. One of the houses we did the lawn for was owned by a couple old ladies. Parked out back was this old car. After seeing it sitting there for a few years I finally asked dad if he thought Mrs Humes would sell the old Buick. Dad said why don't you ask her? Dad did have a point there so next time we were at the house mowing the lawn I got up the nerve to ask her. Well she replied, what would you want to pay? Being the big spender I was, I said $15 or $20? She said $20 dollars sounds good to her. Next thing was getting it home. so I asked dad if he would use his pick-up truck to give it a tow. Not a big deal as it was less than ten miles to our house. After work the next day we climbed in the old IH pick-up and went to get my "new" car. Surprisingly the tires were not flat and the brakes were not rusted up and actually worked! This thing had the old Dyn-flow transmission, not really an automatic as one had to shift from low to drive manually, but a two speed hydraulically shifted transmission with a torque converter. As I was piloting this car home about one mile from home I got to wondering if it was possible to start by shifting into gear while moving. I knew some automatics could do that but some not. Well no time like the present, so I moved shift lever from neutral to drive. To my surprise after a second or two it started! Really surprised dad when we pulled up the drive at home and it was running. That old straight eight idling nice and smooth. Lots of stories that could be told about that car but after a couple years the reverse went out in the transmission and I finally decide it had done me good and I sold it to kid up the street, not sure if he ever did anything with it. Next car was that boat of a Dodge above. Here is a picture, not mine but very close, to what mine looked like:
While the talk is about straight eights- My dad owned a 49 tin indian like this one. Truck Shop
I doubt you guys even heard of half the cars I've owned, and I love the classic American cars so this is a real nice thread for me to read through. my car history is.. 1992 Peugeot 309gti quick little thing 130bhp but only 930kg 1999 Renault Laguna 2.0 16v 1994 Subaru Impreza WRX version 2 had three engines through that thing ended up 300bhp with some nice bits on it 1995 Nissan Skyline R33GTR one of two of the best cars I've owned, 350bhp in the end, new turbo's, coil over suspension, electronic boost control etc, sadly stolen. 2000 Audi RS4 Avant the other of the two best, 450bhp Wagon, can do everything from upset supercars to fetch shopping with the whole family in with ease I have had a pleather of other cars in between but all mundane everyday workhorses, then comes the charity rally cars, bought on a budget and made to a theme, to raise money for local charity's first was a Skoda Octavia (first attempt and a bit lame) these are used in the uk as private hire vehicles so I went with that next came a Toyota MR2 we did as a fighter plane then the Volvo 740 that we did as the family truckster finaly an Audi A4 that we did a replica of a British Touring Car Championship race car
This is an interesting chart , type in the vehicle specs & see how fast your old iron is . https://robrobinette.com/et.htm My FWD / Grove truck crane with the 4-71 engine will do the 1/4 mile in 44.92 seconds with a trap speed of 33.55 MPH . That's probably pretty close . Holy Cow ! I'm going to need 6,000 horsepower to get in the 14 second bracket ............. Imagine we better adjust the clutch & torque the budd wheels before that run .
Question for the old car buffs ........... Trying to identify the rear end in the 68 Ford Galaxie 500 . We think its a Dana 44 ? 10 bolt rear cover , semi round with some flat edges . It reminds me of a 10 bolt GM of that era .
Cool cars ! Couple of your photos in the mountains reminds me of the ending clip in " The Italian Job " . That film had allot of wild chase clips in it with the Mini Cooper cars . https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mini
Wow I haven't seen one of those in a long time. That's a Borg Warner rear axle IIRC it's called a WER 8.5. I don't think there are parts for those. Those axles were used from 66 to 68 I believe, I even saw one of those behind a FE block. They were not very strong. If I were you I would install a 9" rear axle if you put a 460 in front of that honey it will spit the spiders out the cover. Truck Shop
Thanks for the reply Truck Shop ! Figured an old Ford guy could identify it pretty quick . I'll have to investigate what our 1977 Ford LTD 460 donar car has under it ? Still have a 12 bolt chevy rear axil in stock out of a chevelle if we cant find a 9 inch Ford . Would like to get the old Ford in the 14 second 1/4 mile bracket on street tires . Pretty interesting using the 1/4 mile calculator . Car weighs in around 4,000 pounds with driver & ruck . 210 HP 302 . Calculator puts us in around 15.22 seconds with 87.61 trap speed . Let's double the HP to 420 . Now 12.08 seconds and 110.39 trap speed . That's a lot of work & expense for 3 seconds time difference . Takes a lot to move a big car.
If they only used that rearend for a shot time what did they use then they didnt use the 9inch ? I have junked alot of fords that didnt have a 9 inch.
My first vehical was a Jeep CJ2a. I steal have it i tryed to sell it years ago but i think only one guy looked at it. After that i thought i would just keep it.I bought fixed up and sold several pickups until i figuared out i wasnt makeing any money in the end so my brother gave me a 1967 GMC bare cab and frame i fixed it up and drove it close to a million miles lost track after 750.000.It rusted out and i parked 2 years ago i miss it bad because it was bullet prof, easy to fix and it was down for about a week of days in its 30 years that i drove it.If i needed to go some were or haul something i went.
There are a few vehicles I'd like to have but living in an area where roads are white with salt all winter make it out of the question to keep one even 15 years. But at least we almost never have tornadoes, hurricanes, or forest fires, so I'll take the cold and snow. One of the biggest problems this area had this summer is too much water in Lake Ontario!
The other Ford rear axle was the 8 3/8 with removable third member like the 9". In later years most Ford rear axles had a rear cover but those were corporate. Truck Shop
You were spot on as usual Truck Shop . Scratched around the rear housing & actually found the tag . Cleaned it off ..... WER - C 2.80 8 C A 3 Found this Ford Axil chart . http://www.fordification.com/tech/rearends_ford06.htm Mine was used from 67 to 69 in Ford passenger cars . Looks like they used other versions of the " WER " in Fords from 67 to 1978 .
Red Neck Positraction ....... The Old Man & I got to talking about locking differentials this afternoon . They got good points & bad . Equal traction on both sides & that looks good on paper . They can also get ya in big trouble on a slick surface . One trick he would use back in the early 1960's on a regular differential is drop a big tall snow tire on the passenger side . Gave the effect of posi on take off on a good traction surface & would still spin the inner tire in a corner turn on a rock road . I love to argue with the Old Man but could not on this one ....
Talking about slick surfaces, how do folks in colder climes find anti lock brakes on frozen roads? We regularly drive on wet dirt roads and often when you throw the anchors out you end up going faster.
When they work they are awesome. Stop straight and faster. On both of my Powerstroke Ford trucks and the same for most other folks I know with them, the warning light for the antilock brakes comes on every time it rains. When there is snow on the road it never goes off. We just drive like we always did, slow down sooner.
Good question Queenslander . My 2004 Jeep grand Cherokee has the anti locks . It seems to work ok with the pulsing action on the peddle . Generally drop the automatic trans gear shift in neutral when on a down hill slick slope so the torque convertor is not fighting the anti lock brakes . Hands down in snow & ice tire chains still getter done . Pretty cheap insurance that keeps you between the ditches & on the road . HeavyEquipmentForums
I guess it’s just a matter of being aware how these things work and being prepared to deal with it. We have a little Hino crew cab with traction control and when powering through a tight curve it’ll decide “that’s enough” and back off the gas big time.
I'm OK with traction control as long as I can switch it off when I get the urge to whip some donuts in the parking lot or on the lake in the winter time.
Dammit OIH, now you’ve made me yearn for that old pvan even more!!
I think if you never drove anything with out antilock and traction control it would be great but i have a hard time it makes me drive slower because i dont fill i have as much control. I carry tire chains year round on my pickup,trucks and Jeeps.
I just threw the chains in the Jeep last week . Rarely need them but when ya do they sure come in handy when there is a 1/4 inch of ice on the road . My Grandad was the same way ...... We got a pretty good collection of tire chains for farm tractors , trucks & autos . Old School get's it done
Never did try this method of adjusting hydraulic valve lifters ..... Looks like it would work fine . The cat still takes the engine a full two revolutions at 90 degree intervals checking each valve . Then give them all a turn when finished . We always did it a cylinder at a time on 4 cycle engines be it hydro or solid lifter cam . Would adjust the intake when the exhaust valve was just starting to open .... Then bump the engine over a little & adjust the exhaust when the intake valve was almost closed .
When I worked automotive machine I set all Chevy's this way. TDC #1 Remove lash on each one then adjust Ex cylinders 1,3,4,8 In cylinders 1,2,5,7 Rotate 360, TDC#6 Ex cylinders 2,5,6,7 In cylinders 3,4,6,8 And your done.
First wagon I owned was a '54 Olds 88 Holiday Coupe. Was my Great Aunts rust bucket and get it for $100. Was a mechanical mess living most of its life in FL and IL where less than adequate maintenance did it receive. Lifters, cam, a little AFB carb work and the 324 Rocket V8 was a tire smoking torque monster. Coupled to a Hydramatic you parked in Reverse, rebuilt the brakes and steering linkage, even rebuilt the Knee Action front shocks though that did not help front end stability much. Had rust holes big as cantaloupe, steel patches then CANS of bondo and a sixteen year old was riding in style!! Second was a hand me down '71 Beetle from my Dad, cost me $1000, rolled that puppy Street Rat Racing but few ever managed to keep up and NONE ever passed me. My favored was a '69 El Camino. Simple cheap model with a 307 powerslide that got ripped out when lived in Ft.Scott KS to a Home Made 301 tied to a Muncie 4 speed. With the tall gears in the third member for that Powerglide was a road screamer and the torque off the 301 would light the rears flat up from a standing start.
My problem is I never can remember the sequence . Have to go back & grab the book . That's one thing I like about " Engine Guy's " method .
Haven't yanked the valve covers off the 1968 Ford 302 yet ... Pretty sure we will see non adjustable cast rockers buy what little research I've done . https://www.diyford.com/choose-heads-small-block-ford-rebuild/
I don't have a picture handy of the actual car. This is a model. Mine was 1968 E Type roadster, two tops, convertible, and a fiberglass hardtop to fit over it. 4.2 OHC inline six. Jaguar claimed 300 HP, but they lied. I bought it in 1974. This morning, Meecham Auctions sold a 1970 painted baby blue (it's a boy!) which would not be my choice. Sale price was $79000. I wish I still had mine!
Josh Randall and his Jaguar .... Or is that Steve McQueen ? https://selvedgeyard.com/2011/03/06/steve-mcqueens-mean-machines-the-1957-jaguar-xk-ss-green-rat/
Dan Blocker was also in to racing sponsoring the " Vinegaroon ". https://www.pinterest.com/pin/545568942348977536/ http://www.tamsoldracecarsite.net/BobHarris003HarrisCampbellBlocker.html He also owned one of the rare 1965 Z-16 Chevelle's
I looked better in mine than Steve McQueen in somebody else's, I had the shirt unbuttoned half way to the waist, VERY hairy chest, 135 LBS and the biggest totally natural Afro any white boy ever grew. I wouldn't have holstered a neutered rifle, my choice'd be a pistol grip sawed off side by side 12 Gauge. #1 Buck, no choke. The car was British, I was 'Merican. Oh, my politics were, and are REDNECK. These days I look much more like Yule Brenner than Steve McQueen.
Talking about British cars ...... Not sure what movie set this was on ? Steve McQueen's stunt double in the Austin-Healey rite before the take .
E types are cool cars. A very good friend runs a little shop specializing in older British stuff. He knows the older Jags right down to where each specific bolt goes etc. Those Jag 6 cylinder motors would power a dozer. There's a lot of iron in em. Boot, bonnet, hood release on each side by your knee, hood darn near touches the ground when open. Inboard rear brakes etc etc. I've been around a few of em from drivers to pristine six figure show cars. Some Jag owners sure are snooty bastards and some are just beer drinking good ole boys
Here's my toy, well the one I'll never get rid of. Dad bought it new in 94. I bought it from him around 03. 64k miles, never seen snow or salt. Sat outside maybe 30 nights in its life. Underneath it's perfect. Several years ago I did all the fluids, brakes etc and every bolt was clean and came right out. It's about due for a clutch...I wonder why? Crazy to think a pushrod 5.0 5 speed has become old school.....
Nice ride Junkyard ! I had a similar experience ... The Wife was going on about my Nephew buying an old Mustang & fixing it up . Thought to myself .. " 1960's early 70's machine ? " Went to go check it out and it's a 2004 .... Nice car but man I'm getting old I reckon .
Thanks. Dad has an 07 now. He's offered to swap me several times. He loves the 94 because the dash reminds him of his 67 Corvette. Which in his mind is the ONLY year they made the Corvette lol. I can throw the boys in there and go horse around on the back roads and they have a blast.
The currant company car .... 4 door 1968 Ford Galaxie 500 . 50 years young & still on the job . They don't build them like this anymore . 302 engine , c4 transmission .
Trunk full of mason jars? Lol.
No comment ...
You're gonna need a bigger motor than a 302 to outrun then revenuers.....unless it's been taken out of a TransAm car and it's got two 4 barrels and a cross ram intake!!
That's what I thought at first ..... But today the revenuers are to busy on the smart phones & face book . Just drive rite past them & wave .
Ain't that the truth. Too busy ignoring reality for whatever it is they're up to!
Gator could do it.
Long story on the car ..... We bought it last summer from original owner . Car was parked for 35 years in a garage . Got it running again & really like it . Have a ford 460 motor & c6 transmission in stock . Pretty impressed buy the 302 after the 35 year nap .. Starts & runs great ! No smoke or oil use . 210 horsepower & 300 torque . Looking pretty hard at the supercharger kits for a 302 . https://www.holley.com/products/superchargers/supercharger/parts/77-174FSB-1
That would make for a wild ride with the TransAm motor ! Those engines make crazy horsepower for the cubic inch . Glad you chimed in on this thread with your racing experience Junkyard . Like the idea of a belt driven intake manifold for the 68 Ford . Want to keep RPM's under 5,000 for the most part . If a feller was to install a Roots blower on top of a slightly worn 302 ..... Would it then become an 8 - V 38 ?
Those true 302" TransAm motors have a very unique sound. Partially because some run 180 degree headers but mostly because they're turning dang near 10,000 rpm! Those were the glory days of TA. Parnelli Jones etc. Acid dipped bodies to reduce weight, a couple HP per cubic inch etc etc. When we were vintage road racing I saw some true TA cars from that era. The AMC Javelins were the ****. Edlebrock had a car the Yunick built. Only TA car Smokey ever built. Man things just aren't the same. Maybe I need to edit some in car video from the Yarborough NASCAR and throw it up. I loved driving that boat. I had a edge in that it was so big you couldn't get around it!
That would be pretty cool ! Would really enjoy that view from the camera . Like you say big cars are hard to get around .
Like driving a chainsaw engine . I better keep the RPM's a little lower on my ride .
I'll do that. I've got footage from our local little track, Hallett as well as the road course at Indy, maybe some Circuit of the Americas and Sebring. Have a cool video of me spinning out in the rain, even have the footage from the car behind me lol. When those little 302's go by WFO it shake the wax out of your ears!
MAC,s auto catalog showed up in the mail this evening . That's a pretty good deal on the stroked 302 / 347 from BluePrint . https://www.macsautoparts.com/store...er-crate-engine-415-hp-415-ft-lbs-472495.html
Only thing that spooks a big block car is when they come up against a short strung small block with the rite gears. 327 Chevy 302 Ford 340 Mopar Keep an eye on them fellers ...
I have a soft spot for a 327. The last few cars I built were NASCAR so it was all 358" stuff. Although the last one we did was a class the didn't check displacement so it may or may not have a 421" SB2.....
I'm the same way Junkyard . Factory built L79 327 under the hood was quite a fire cracker at 350 horse power & 360 torque for the cubic inch . http://www.superchevy.com/features/sucs-0732-chevy-l79-engine/
Sweet engines, I so miss the simple to build engine days. I also miss Carter Carburetor for the AFB, Holley cornered the market but an AFB set up right lasted seemingly FOREVER!!
My dads all time favorite car was his 67 corvette. 300 HP 327 and a 4 speed. The way he talks about it you'd think I'd was running on nitro and had a 14-71 on top of it! Of all the cars I cared for when we raced which included cars David bought and sold was a Biscayne he had. 427, 4 speed and 4.56 gears. 11,000 original miles a 1/4 at a time . Back seat big enough for all five of my kids!
Love the Chevy Biscayne Junkyard ! With the engine & gear ratio would be a car to be reckoned with .
It'll darn sure go! Whoa....yeah not so much. It was shipped with a 4.89 gear. At some point it was changed to 4.56. I'd love to have it. It's a badass land yacht for sure!
My Old Man is the same ... His favorite was a 62 Chevy with 327 . Those engines really put out for the cubic inch rite out of the factory . Still run a small block 350 in the 1966 Chevy C-60 dump truck . Great power , reliable and they look cool .
Not to mention cheap and easy to work on. If you haven't read Smokey Yunick's autobiography you should. When my friend is done with it I'd be glad to ship it to ya. Three books total, starts with him growing up, his service in WWII, his start in NASCAR, his love of Indy etc etc. He was instramental in the development of the mouse motor. Well worth the price if you want to get it.
My Pop was a Poncho Freak, Loved the Pontiac Catalina's and Bonneville's. Always had THE largest available engine in whatever he bought. His first was a 1947 Chieftain with a straight eight. His favorite a 1956 Safari two door wagon my Mom called the 'Circus Wagon' for all the chrome and fancy crap on it(same body as the Nomad). His fastest were a 1962 four door Catalina with a 421 on a automatic, would eat the rear tires off it from a standing start and a 1972 Grand Prix , "Mom's Car" that with the 454 and posi was a smoker she used for a two mile round trip to her work everyday! We(my brothers and I) drove it on short trips on weekends or vacations where it preferred cruise at 80-85mph just off the Quadrajunk secondaries. I loved my Grandfathers 1964 Catalna two door coupe, 389 tri power automatic, SMOKER!! My brothers' also became Ponco fanatics rebuilding the old 2+2 variety Catalina's two (1966&67) convertibles and one two door 1967 fastback. All 3 421 six pack 4 spd cars. I never had the time or the cash for doing that. Have to tell a story, 1960. My Grandparents(Mom's) were looking to buy a small property in Arcadia MO to retire on, had driven down to visit with family and shop around where my Grandfather passed away in his sleep there. My folks got in their 1959 Pontiac wagon to make the drive from East Alton IL to Ironton/Arcadia MO on the old roads(IL Rte 3 and US 67 to MO Rte 21) to aid my Grandmother. My cousin stated to me not eight years ago he was waiting with the local cop to escort my folks thru town to the funeral home when he heard the old Pontiac light up and squalling coming across the hills. Dad made that 115 mile trip on two lane roads and thru St. Louis in just over an hour on bias ply tires in that old Pontiac Safari wagon.
Those are cool cars DMiller ! Spotted a few articles on The 1962 Pontiac Catalina " Super Duty " . Pretty hot machine with the 421 under the hood ! https://www.hemmings.com/magazine/mus/2005/08/Barely-Legal---1962-Pontiac-Super-Duty/1281458.html https://www.mecum.com/lots/FL0117-269770/1962-pontiac-catalina-super-duty-tonto-iii/
Last one my younger brother had was one of these Tonto III units. Had to do some scrounging but managed to get enough parts to put it back together but not serial matched. Was a well designed car for '62. He sold it at Mecum as he got his last divorce, got basically what he had in it. He really loved his 67 2+2 more. Do not have photos of his '62, the white convertible is my older brother's before it too went to Mecum.
Smokey properly named the corvette during his short stay at GM-I believe he called it a manure spreader. You know the difference between a porcupine and a corvette-on the porcupine all the pricks are on the out side.
http://www.motortrend.com/news/exclusive-800-hp-2016-nissan-gt-r-hybrid-revealed-headed-to-ny/ My 07 350Z
My '06 Mustang I bought new. I made a replica of the '67 Hertz GT as close as I could, had a buddy paint on the stripes. Economy and my business tanked in '08 but I managed to hold on to it. I couldn't do anything for quite a while until I got back on my feet but 4 years ago I had long tube headers and 3" pipes put on and the following year a Whipple Roots style blower system installed. They put it on the dyno and certified 472hp and 465lbs of torque! And the music that comes out the back almost makes me pee myself!! I have an absolute blast in this car!
Love the paint scheme Steve ! That's some impressive power for sure ! https://www.caranddriver.com/features/2006-10best-cars-2006-ford-mustang-gt-page-7
Thanks for posting that link! I went nuts when Ford brought out the S197 Mustang, I fell in love the first time I saw one. This is the first car I bought strictly on appearance, I never even sat in one before I ordered it. In '06 my landscape business was thriving, I had been operating 9 years at that point and had no toys to show for it. I thought about color quite a while before ordering, I was torn between white with metallic blue stripes and what I ended up with. I'm glad I went this way, people walk up and talk to me about it every time I stop for gas. I think the 300hp factory rating may have been a little conservative, it sure was quick for that number in a 3500lb car. With the blower and exhaust it's downright thrilling! Makes me giggle like a little girl every time I stomp the accelerator!!
I went for a long time without any toys. My last was a '79 GMC shortbox 4x4 with a 383 stroker, 4 spd trans, 6" lift and 35" BFG mud terrain tires. It got sold off in 1999 to finance another work truck, a 1999 F350 4x4 with a service box and the V-10 engine. Great truck, made a bunch of money. Two months ago a guy had a 2001 F-250 extended cab 4x4 with the V-10 and 35" tires for sale... and after several counter offers it's sitting in my driveway, gas mileage sucks but it's just my pet and probably will only see 5-6,000 miles a year.
V10 is a strong hoss, still prefer my old 7.3 and auto. Even with the crappy fuel will get 16-17mpg empty and 14mpg dragging my trailers with a load.
My brother the doc owns this 97 F350 Power Stroke with 58,000 miles on it, and only highway miles. Truck Shop
My old bucket of bolts spent 260,000 of its 340,000 miles dragging machinery in and out of my Brother In Laws place. Very well worn slick, very well rusting away cab corners, door skins and bed edges. Time has as I NOT been kind to my old '99 SD F250.
I hear you there, this one is just my weekend tour rig, honestly I wanted the 5.4L gas engine but this one popped up and well... It does an honest 13 MPG and if it can do 10 with a 4000 lb camper on the bumper it will still beat my motor home (360 Dodge with a 4 barrel) at 7MPG.
It's a cool car Steve .... Like a modern day Boss 302 Mustang with a Huffer under the hood . https://whipplesuperchargers.com/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=28 I like it !
Spotted a 302 rebuild kit with forged pistons . Not a bad price for complete bottom end . Several cams to choose from . http://www.northernautoparts.com/part/ek-ek0442 Weiand belt drive intake manifold. https://www.holley.com/products/superchargers/supercharger/parts/77-174FSB-1 Holley 700 with boost referenced power valve . https://www.holley.com/products/fue...etors/supercharger_carburetors/parts/0-80572S Might make a good combination for an old Ford 302 .
I need some fender flares like that for the front of mine,
Cool thread...like a lot of people I have owned a lot of cars..Current stuff is already posted on this thread... HeavyEquipmentForums Some interesting stuff I have owned as well. 1939 Canadian Dodge.... 39 Studebaker Coupe Express 64 Studebaker 63 Studebaker GT Hawk 66 Ranchero 351 4spd 66 Comet wagon 53 Hudson Hornet 77 Mustang Cobra (3) 69 Cougars 69 Fairlane 64 ChevyII factory V8 car..(token Chevy) 67 AMC Ambassador 2dr ht Lots of 65-68 Mustangs and 67-75 Ford pick ups..A few mid 60's Pontiacs as well... Some I wish I never sold......
My list: 1947 Jeep 1965 Jeep CJ5 1971 Jeep CJ5 Buick V6 1968 Jaguar XKE Roadster 2 Tops; fiberglass, convertible 1966 Corvair Monza 1967 Corvair Monza 1968 Volvo 122 1964 Thunderbird 1960 Mercedes 1972 BMW 2002 Tii 1974 Audi 2000 Then I got married. 1976 Ford Granada 1979 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme 1984 Ford Tempo (my greatest embarrassment) 1985 Chevy Cavalier Wagon 1987 GMC Jimmy 1990 Renault Wagon (another very bad decision) 1994 Plymouth minivan 1997 Plymouth minivan. 2002 Chevy Blazer (Mrs. B made big promises for me to agree to trade a 16 month old vehicle) 2003 Plymouth minivan 2009 Jeep Liberty 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee I list cars, as listing trucks would take a while. I have a daily driver for work, + others. If I could suggest one perfect vehicle, it'd be the Jeep Grand cherokee. Mrs. is happy, That makes me happy. Should she stop being happy, she, and I want another. A perfect compromise of specifications.
Have to say, I leaned far and away from four or more wheeled machines some decades ago. I have as my elected favorite machine a 2012 Harley Davidson RGU(FLTRU). I have had bikes since I was too stupid to not get on one! My most extreme was a 1981 Yamaha XS1100 full fairing and bags that would wheelie at the drop of a dime, scary shaft drive monster that picked up on the pipe like a two stroker. I grew older and more refined, I enjoy my current ride as a tourer on secondary roads.
As I have posted on here before/just some more old news, I have owned 24 cycles. My first large one was a 1965 BSA 650 Hornet-A65 model and many other British bikes. I moved over to Japanese bikes in the late 70's. Never owned a Harley but have ridden several. Owned a few real fast bikes and three favorite road machines-Gold Wings. Here is one fast and one semi fast for being a barge that I owned. I only bought the Hayabusa because it was a good deal sold it six months later for $2,000 more than I paid for it. It's a bike that demands respect from the rider--or stay off it. And A few Indians I worked on.
I take it pretty easy anymore on the Japanese motor bike . Don't heal up as fast as I used to ......
Went to a unique museum on one of our rides in NC, Wheels Thru Time. The owner has some of the most impressive and STILL running cycles I had ever seen. I started on dirt as a pre teen on two motorized wheels, Honda 60 then a 90, moved up to Kawasaki 125 then 175's(had three). Stepped off to street with a Yamaha 650 two lunger, traded up to a Y XS850 then the XS1100. Meanwhile had bought two basket case HD's a 1948 W that was in the process of mods to a Hand shift four speed(under the seat) and foot clutch(Old side car bike) Had the Throttle on the wrong side and a advance on the 'Right' side to which the Panhead on it once running was quite the obnoxious animal to get running until one steps over it while slightly imbibed and cranks on the advance to start it. That DID leave a mark, FOREVER. The second was a hardtail FL with a shovel, was a mess ending up costing too much to get back together which I never recovered but was a fun ride. The first one also had a little oil leak on the first test ride once reassembled, I failed to realize the lack of the secondary chain lube orifice drip oiler on the final case, ended up well oiling my leathers , my back, my helmet(what was of it) my hair and much of the road I rode on for twenty minutes. Caught it before engine damage, got it home found the hole and got that remedied. Buddy loved that bike so much bought it from me, never saw it again. Have had two Road Kings and now the Road Glide. Between 1987(eye injury year) and 2009 did not set a saddle, was deathly afraid of the lack of ability due to eye issues, had sold the 1100 in 1988 as could not effectively ride it.
Another option I overlooked ....... Have some spare Detroit 6-71 huffer's in the archives . Pulled one out this afternoon & swapped the covers & drive gears to see if it would work on a gas engine set up . Cool thing about the Detroit's is they are symmetrical . Everything can be swapped around & turned the other direction if need be . Found an intake from Speedmaster . https://speedmaster79.com/ford-sb-289-302-windsor-6-71-8-71-blower-intake-manifold-satin/
Cool...I don't have much experience with roots blowers on the street but I have done lots of industrial ones...Gears 18-22" in diam and rotors probably bigger than me...My bench is 4' wide and 17' long..... Your going to put it on a SB Ford ??
That is one huge blower diamondtguy ! And it's a Holmes, I love it ! That's the plan ... 6-71 on top of the 302 Ford .
I was surprised to see " strait ' splines on the blower shafts ? I remember a helix shaft spline where you had to shim the gears to time the blower rotors ? Was amazed after swapping the drive gears that the blower still turned free . Shafts & gears had a key spline on them .
The big blowers have tapered shafts for the gears.To get the gears off I have to hook a hyd pump to a oil port in the gear and at about 10,000 psi the gear expands and pops off violently.To time them you lightly push one gear on and do your timing (it takes a few trys) you can yank the gear off to adjust.When you have it set you bang the gear on hard(by hand) then expand it with the hyd pressure and push it on with a power pac and hyd ram a given distance determined by the blower manufacture.Rotor to housing end clearance is set by shimming the bearing boxes... Here is a pic of another Holms that has heat sensors and proximity sensors to monitor rotor end clearance. Biggest one I ever did had 22" diam gears and 44" rotors. I am a fan of SB Fords I have owned lots of them.My 67 has a full roller 289 in it .Its a very happy engine.I also have a 289 271HP under my bench. The 67 engine...
Just remember to open up the tolerances on the lobes of that DD Blower when set up for a gas engine, they do not like being tight as DD sets them up for straight air. I cannot remember the ribbon gauge thickness the builders in STL used for setting up 6L blowers for the Chevy v8s, was pretty WIDE.
This is my first venture with a Ford small block . 1968 302 engine , first year for the 302 What size Holley on top of your 289 ?
We had a retired gentleman that came in to teach a class when I went to Auto Diesel school in the late 1980's . Pretty cool cat ! One of the many interesting tasks he had us do was ........ Rebuild a DD 6-71 blower . That was a fun class
Went ahead & ordered the intake manifold . Will install new bearings & seals in the 6-71 . http://www.deanblowers.com/products.html Might call these cat's Monday . Not a bad deal on a drive kit for the 302 . http://www.blowerdriveservice.com/store/ford-289302-3-1v-671-drive-kit-p-617.html
Will also have to have the housing edge mounting lug machined off. Will interfere on the manifold as I remember.
I tend to use Holley 3310's(750 vac sec) on the small blocks with manual trans.I put a secondary metering block in along with the sec spring quick change kit.I just jet the carb down a bit.The late sixties 428CJ and Boss carbs work well to but they are now worth more to the guys that have missing carbs on their resto's. My 289 has 1.9 and 1.6 valves so it uses the big carb well...
I think so as well DMiller . Will know a lot more after the intake shows up and can mount the 6-71 on top to get a better look & measurements on the whole gig . Problem is on these Ford's the distributer is in the front so ya have to climb up & around it with the blower assembly . The Holley 174 would have been quick & easy as it was built for a small block Ford . https://www.holley.com/products/superchargers/supercharger/parts/77-174FSB-1 What little research I did don't think it will build boost down low . Not to mention by the time it's mounted over $ 4,000.00 out of pocket . I would like to see 5 to 6 PSI around 4,000 RPM . 6-71 should do that easy with the rite cog ratio . I'm just not sure if it will all fit under the hood ? God forbid that I might have to modify another piece of equipment .
Time for a Mad Max Hood!!!! Big hole for Big air!!
That's good to know ! I was guessing a Holley 650 ? Pretty cool . See how folks get hooked on small block Ford's . It's like a small block Chevy only painted blue . I'm pretty much going to leave the 302 pretty close to factory . Do a valve grind on the heads & new springs . Might grind out a little on the exhaust side ports to open them up a little . Roll in a new set of rod & main bearings . Stock Camshaft . No headers ......... Stock cast iron manifolds to dual exhaust . Should make for an interesting experiment .
Small blocks seem to prefer just a little more back pressure to develop torque, the Cast manifolds should not present too much possibly port them a taste as well, NOT too thin just smooth the enter point up a bit.
This is what the 302 has now . https://www.macsautoparts.com/store...duction-exhaust-manifolds-260-289-302-v8.html Could see going with this manifold later . https://www.macsautoparts.com/store...po-headers-natural-finish-260-and-289-v8.html From what little research I've done with a supercharged engine they seem to be more concerned about porting the exhaust side of the head . I reckon the " Huffer " takes care of the intake side . Our 302 is going to play in the 2 to 4,000 RPM range for the most part . Need to stay within the valve train's limitations . HeavyEquipmentForums
Can always go solids with dual valve springs, could get to 8K pretty easy with minimal float.
These are the last engines I built over five years ago now. My 84 Dodge 150 that I restored I owned it 24 years. And a 454 that I custom built for a neighbors Sanger flat bottom. I had to start from scratch because the boat had no engine, battery box or wiring. Made the engine mounts also and any brackets or other various things. Had to source pretty much everything you see. He ended up with some hull repairs and while the engine was out he had it dyno tested, I was surprised-it put out 484 hp at 5000. The Dodge engine is a 85 318 early roller cam motor. That carb is a real 1985 625Cfm Carter AFB that I installed restrictors in to change the cmf to 525 and re-jetted to match 16.8 mpg highway. Truck Shop
Das Boat Truck Shop
Love the Dodge Ram Truck Shop ! Excellent work on the boat ! Noticed the Edelbrock carb on top of the 454 . Are you pretty happy with it ? Never did try an Edelbrock .
Well I like any carb as long as it's working . I really have no preference I guess but I did run mostly Carter AFB's. The only thing I could see with the EB carbs was the finish inside was rough. But I can't answer your question because I don't own or operate that hole in the water. The Summit carb looks interesting it's an improved version of the Autolite 4100 But I will never know because I gave up the high performance stuff like bikes and cars after my back surgery 4 years ago this 14th of April. Easy day to remember 4-14-14. Plus I just got sort of tired of it. Truck Shop
Nice work.....Not a fan of Edelbrock/Carter 4V's but I have to tune them.I have a 428CJ here with two of them and my friends 67 Camaro has two on it.I work on it from time to time..
Understand that Truck Shop . I lost interest in performance cars & engines the early 1990's Sold off all the muscle cars & started buying yellow iron & trucks that would make a little cash . Back in the money loosing game with the 68 Ford Galaxie now . Won't make any cash with it but sure going to have some fun A feller needs a little fun time once in awhile And there will be a proper Detroit Diesel 6-71 on top of the 302 . Got to keep them old Ford guys happy .
I suspect you will have to put a teardrop hood on the Galaxie to give yourself some room.... A car I don't talk about much as I am not finished it yet and have gone way left field on it.It also uses 2 Edelbrock carbs on a Edelbrock 2x4 intake.I built a new aircleaner base so it will use the stock 2x4 oval aircleaner.Carb spacing is way off compared to the Holley/ford manifold Car is a 66 Mustang Fastback with a 428CJ and 4spd.
That's quite a carb linkage on the cross ram intake Excellent work on the 428 mustang project ! I like the way the air cleaner turned out .
Thanks and Thanks.....the cross ram linkage is my work as well.I built it all out of stainless for him about 15 years ago...
The intake showed up yesterday evening . Degreased & power washed the 6-71 today & got to take a closer look at the fit up around the distributor area . Referenced off the front bolts on the intakes to get measurements . Looks like it will fit around the side ok but still have a little height issue . Distributor is 7" tall and the underside of the blower is 6 - 3/4 " .
1/2 " thick plate adaptor would remedy the problem . Might even be other distributor & cap options . Seen caps where the plug wires came out the side . Worst case have to go with a spacer plate . Dang ! they are sure proud of those . https://www.alkydigger.net/proddetail.php?prod=TBS-5022 The ear ledge on the 6-71 clear the intake ok . This intake has an o-ring groove cut in it . Haven't found the o-ring yet on the net . Might have to make some calls Monday . Rotors & housing have all the normal little scuffs & scratches but don't look to bad .
A little off the subject of muscle. But there were certain classic body styles that just can't be duplicated. Those designs were classic the moment they came off the drawing board. My favorite car and body style and wins first place for me.----1934 J12 Hispano Suiza. What a beautiful automobile she is. Truck Shop
That's some early big block muscle . 575 cubic inch V - 12 . Pretty cool rig ! https://www.supercars.net/blog/1934-hispano-suiza-j12/
Could you just get the rope type o-ring and cut one? I've done that on unobtanium big rings like that, cut the rope and super glue it to the right length.
Hispano's are beautiful cars.A friend in North Van once had two of them in his shop at the same time.A site I will probably never see again.. O-rings are easy to make and I quite often have to do it at work.Some o-ring kits come with the glue..(crazy glue)You can buy o-ring material in bulk rolls.I have a drawer full of it at work. As far as distributors go I believe the guys use a Mallory marine unit with the old style flat crab cap or a expensive offset distributor..
Wheels I just bought for the 68.Old school Mini-lites.I robbed the torque thrusts off the car for my 67 a few years ago..
The 67.....
That may be exactly what we have to do crane op . Good point ! http://theblowershop.com/product/18-o-ring-material-per-foot/
Love the 67 diamondtguy !
Thanks....I wanted to build something different.Car is a fairly accurate tribute/clone/fake...Nothing in it that isn't needed and it's even a push button start.No ignition switch just switches and buttons...26 Trans/Am Mustangs were made in 67 My 36 Diamond T 212BD...My dad bought it in 1968.I inherited the truck in 88...Resto by me...Soon to be repowered again with a Cummins 4BT with a Spicer 5spd.
Excellent work on the Diamond T restoration . Cool truck with allot of history behind it .
Yes..I look forward to finally getting it finished.It took me 20 years to find a grille for it.Truck is a deluxe and the grille is chromed.It is also a one pc stamping and the are quite often damaged..The grille was a major hold up on the truck... My Grizzly Truck..First one built of 13 trucks.I have a large thread in the Forestry Equipment thread on this site.....Built in North Vancouver in 1990. Pushed the wrong button.....
I'll try the right button this time..
Had to thread these two blank holes in the drive gear for the 6 bolt hub . I figured the gear would be hard as a rock but it tapped out fine . Tapped & capped off the oil drain holes in the main housing . Used 3/8 NPT fittings . Also plugged off an oil passage on the front bearing cover & added another on top as this 6-71 was built to operate on it's side in the Detroit Diesel and we are converting it over to a gas engine .
Impressed by the dash gauges. A Pox on digital!
Little disappointed in the " Speedmaster " blower intake ...... Was supposed to clear the Ford distributor . Made a template out of an old Simplex concrete form . Ply form is 1 1/8 " thick . Drop it off at the local machine shop so they can fab one out of aluminum . That should remedy the problem . Part of me is temped to just run the wood spacer plate . It would probably work fine . Dropped a micrometer on the ply form and was with in .005
Got the rotors triple pinned . Used some generic linkage pins we had in stock . Ground down the head & hammered the sides to swell the pin for a snug fit in the 1/4 inch hole . Locktite & drive them in then peened the hole using a 3/8 bolt as a punch . De-burr it with a die grinder .[/ATTACH]
Pull a couple freeze plugs out of the rotor ends & blow the shavings out then drove them back in. Seals showed up so starting to go back together . Detroit bearings looked fine so they are going back in . Still waiting on the new rear bearing plate . Going to try the wood " spacer plate " . Coated all the edges with JB weld epoxy . Seen wood used before under the carb as a heat shield .
Opened up the "Pop off " port & installed an 1/8 inch port for a boost gage . Used 1/4 " aluminum for the Pop plate & old Detroit 8 - V 71 valve springs . Rear bearing & carb plates showed up this evening . Pretty happy with DPI products . It all fit great & rotors spin free . They even sent dowel pins & hardware . Used the old Detroit bearings as they looked & felt fine . Front cover will have oil in it and the rear cover bearings got packed with grease .
Got the 6-71 installed . Everything hooked up with exception of the " Drive kit " . It should show up in a few day's . Went with twin Edelbrock 600 vacuum secondary's . Carb linkage went better then expected . Just used scrap we had in the stock to build it . Cut the hole in the hood & trimmed it with 1" aluminum angle . Added a vacuum / boost gage on the rear bearing plate of the blower . In the " hurry up & wait stage " now on the drive kit . Engine specs . 1968 Ford 302 2V with 117,000 miles on it . 210 HP & 300 foot pound torque . 9 to 1 compression ratio . GMC 6-71 " small bore " blower with 7 % underdrive . Distributor area is snug on this intake but was happy that I can get the cap off & even pull the distributor out with addition of the spacer .
I should have done this on my '96 F-150 4X4 short box... The blower noise would have covered the power steering pump noise.
They sure do have a distinctive " whine " to them . Only vehicle I can really hear it good on is the GMC wrecker . It has a pretty good muffler plus 1/3 of the engine is in the cab just under the fiberglass cover . I went with the 8 millimeter cog belt & pulleys for the Ford project verses the old 1/2 inch pitch dive . It's supposed to be a little tougher . The other interesting thing I thought was they don't use the harmonic balancer . Just a steel " drive hub " . I reckon the big belt drive takes care of the " Harmonic Harmony " My 68 302 is external balance 28 ounce counterweight hub. This is not the one we ordered but it's similar . http://www.blowerdriveservice.com/store/302351w-351c-ford-steel-crank-hub-ext-p-7.html
Missing my car
Sure know that feeling ! Sold off all the muscle cars in the early 1990's & started buying yellow iron that we could earn a little cash with . Then last summer as I'm driving though town one car caught my eye at a used car dealer . Drove past it a few day's & then called them about the story on it ..... It had a long story , car lot owner's dad bought it new in 68 . For one reason or another it got parked in a garage in 1982 and there it set until we woke it back up after the 35 year nap . Bought it " dead " & got it back on the road last fall . Car drives & rides great like they did back in that era . We gonna have some fun with it
Cool project...I like the way you trimmed the hood cut out...I have not seen Salad bowl (velocity stacks) air cleaners in decades..
For me... it was a '68 Chevelle SS 396 4spd. that I had to sell in 1984 to further my family obligations... And those kids have turned out great! Still wish I had the car.
It was pretty funny .... The Old Man & myself went a few rounds on how best to trim out the hood ..... He insisted on aluminum angle trim around the hood hole . I thought about going with wood trim molding around it . It came out ok but don't tell Dad I said that . I really like the look of the Velocity stacks . Probably not the best filter system but they look cool & somewhat period of the car's time . https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Speedway-Velocity-Stack-Air-Cleaner,699.html
No...they are not the best filters but I don't think you will have any issues getting air into the engine..The problem with the stacks is they are not back fire friendly.Same as the old Edelbrock triangle filters.. Is that a vacuum gauge on the back of the manifold ??
Yes , it's tied in to the main plenum under the 6-71 . Reads vacuum and boost .
The Detroit God's smiled on our project . Drive kit showed up & got it installed . Got to give a big shout out to Blower Drive Service in Brea California ! http://www.blowerdriveservice.com/tech-info.html The drive kit fit our application perfectly and they sent all the hardware in the kit . Class act company . We fired the old Ford up and let it warm . So far only adjustment made was had to back off the idle screws about 1/4 turn on both carbs to slow the idle down a little . No burps or sputters , she starts up quick & throttles nice ! Might cruise in to town tomorrow evening
Dude Watson comes through again.
LOL! Now Dude went over budget a little on this job but we won't hold that against him .Pretty happy with it . I was amazed the dive kit all fit & no extra parts left in the box from Blower Drive Service . Not allot of room between the fan belt & radiator area for the 3 " blower belt .... It all fit up great !
We will be looking for a track report soon. Get some good tires.
Track report will look something like this I reckon ........
So far we put about 100 miles on the Ford 302 with 6-71 on top . Got it tuned in pretty close .... Ignition timing set a 18 initial & 32 degrees total with the vacuum advance @ 3,000 rpm . Seeing a little more " boost " then I like . 5 pounds at 3,500 rpm . Pulley ratio is at 11% under drive now so will order a bigger top drive pulley & try 20% . How much power ? Best I can describe it is the 302 small block is acting like a 390 big block with a 4 barrel carb . Car busts the tires loose easy even with the 2.80 rear ratio . Starts great .... Don't pump the carb just crank the engine . Fat low end torque rite off 650 rpm idle . Romp it and she's rite there ready to go . 15 miles per gallon . Original two barrel carb got 18 . That was our goal with the engine on the project . Keep in mind we never touched anything under the intake manifold , never even pulled the valve covers off . Still running a Y pipe & single exaust without a muffler and original spark plugs and points in the distributor . Just bolted the 6-71 on top of a stock 1968 302 two barrel carb engine with 117,000 miles on it . Budget build blower cost was $ 2,700.00 including the twin carbs & oil change on the 302 . Pretty happy with it .
Ok i got the general idea on the budget blower why are the rotors pinned to the shafts,
The splined steel drive shaft is pressed in about 4 inches in the aluminum rotor & held buy 1 pin from the Detroit / GM factory . Detroit Diesel blowers build between 2 to 4 pounds of boost all day long for what they was built for . When converting one over to a gas engine common practice to " triple pin " the shafts on each rotor for higher boost pressure . The tolerance between the rotors is really tight . If the pin on the drive shaft was to shear or even slip a little the blower rotors would eat themselves as they are timed . One thing I noticed is you can smell the rubber off the belt when ya get on it . Or was that the tires ?
youve got a really bad ass buddy right there. nice car mate!
You did open the tolerances on the blower lobes when setting them didn't you? IIRC the DD setting was as close as .0015? weren't the gas engine set ups around .010 - .015?
Very good points DMiller ! Truly amazing how snug these mass produced rascals are and they still work . Heck , the blower may be older then the car for all I know . A true testament to the quality of machining at the GM plant years ago . I did not open anything up on the blower but spent some time on the rotor & case tolerance . On converting from Detroit Diesel to the gas you pull the rotor assembly and go " end for end " with it in the housing to get the drive gears to the front . The 8 bolt pattern on the blower housing is not symmetrical so it will only mount one direction . Where we did run into some trouble was the rotors were actually striking the bottom of the blower housing . Would turn fine but could feel them hitting the case . Keep in mind the whole thing is still on the work bench so was easy make any modifications before bolting in on the 302 . Ended up over sizing the dowel pins so I could " tap around " on the front & rear bearing plates while lightly bolted up to get the rotors centered in the case . We ended up with .006 of an inch top and bottom clearance and called it good . Used a narrow piece of common notebook paper folded once to measure it with . It's rite at .006 Also installed steel sleeves on the corners of the plywood spacer plate so the bolts could have a " crush point " without mashing the plywood . The steel sleeves are made an old Small cam Cummins injector push tube . LOL ! BDS drive spline hub mounted to the Detroit gear train . The Cats & Chicks know there stuff at Blower Drive Service . http://www.blowerdriveservice.com/index.php I was skeptical on the drive kit fitting up with the V belts with the power steering & alternator but it all fit up just like they said it would .
We even got the AM radio working . Can catch Tony & Dwight on the way home on WHAS 840 out of Louisville . https://whas.iheart.com/featured/tony-dwight/ And some static off the power lines …. LOL !
I had two 66 Corvairs. Mine were not 140 HP! Mine were Monzas