Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 1085C Excavator

Dan2002dd ยท 2024-02-17 21:03

I just purchased a Case 1085C Excavator and it started and ran great until I rotated the boom. It died and now will not restart. I have ordered a shop manual but it will be a week before I get it. As best as I can tell is it is an electrical problem. I straight wired the engine and started it up thinking I would be able to use it but since the hydraulics are electrically activated, that didn't work. Any suggestions on where to start checking? I was told it would shut off on you and you could "jiggle some wires" and it would restart. So far no restart for me. I was thinking that I could just run a hot wire somewhere to get it moving so I can get it home until I could properly repair it but didn't know where to run it.

Replies9
  1. #1uffex2024-02-19 11:41

    Good day Dan If you can post the electric & Hydraulic schematics, I will try to help. Kind regards Uffex

  2. #2Dan2002dd2024-02-19 13:43

    Thanks for your response but if I had that information, I probably wouldn't be asking for help. I have the manual ordered but if anyone knows where to download a copy, I would appreciate it. I've read all the post on the 1085c on here and it seems there could be an issue with the electrical connection at the rotator, so I would hoping someone that was familiar with the machines would tell me some common issues.

  3. #3old timer2024-02-19 14:22

    Hi Dan, you are on the right track! First thing, check fuses. The problem is most likely the electrical swivel, that is between the hoist base and hoist cylinder. Remove the cover and you will likely find corrosion. Have had good luck getting them going with lots of contact cleaner and air. Each ring has 2 brushes on it. Hope you get it going! I will check in if you need anything else, have been working on these since they were made by Drott (called a "Yumbo") then Case, right up to the 1085C. Will help any way I can.

  4. #4Dan2002dd2024-02-19 15:33

    Thanks, I will check that. It will probably tomorrow before I'm able to get back to it but I'll update as to what I find.

  5. #5Dan2002dd2024-02-21 11:10

    I didn't get to spend very much time on it yesterday as I have another machine that I bought at the same time that needs a little attention before I can get it moved but I did look under the cover of the swivel. Everything looked to be in good shape. I tried to move around each connection point to see if I could get a better connection but there was no change in getting power to the cab. There is a wiring connection point behind the cab where the insulation is flaking off the wires, so this could be an issue as well. It looks like someone has already bypassed this connection with one wire. I will update when I go back.

  6. #6Dan2002dd2024-03-04 14:40

    I finally went back after I got a wiring diagram. I've got to do some more tracing but I was able to get it to run after connecting the wires in the 2 and 4 positions in the electrical swivel. I was able to use it enough to get the attachments loaded on a trailer so now I just need to get it moved to my house. But the back wheels are locked up so it will not move. I believe it is the parking brake but the county (before I bought it) tried to move it but since the axle wouldn't turn, broke the yolk to the driveshaft at the transfer case. They told me either the axle was locked up or the brakes. I think it is the breaks since the axle wasn't locked up when they parked it. So there is a panel that says park brake release with a valve and a pump. I tried pumping it but it didn't seem to be doing anything. Do you know exactly how that works?

  7. #7uffex2024-03-04 15:30

    Good day Dan According to the specifications, the brakes are of the negative type. If you have pump in pressure, I would suggest you can discount those as being the cause of the lock. Check if the axle has a label we can try to track its make up that way. Kind regards Uffex

  8. #8old timer2024-03-05 14:18

    There is a spring applied/hydraulic release brake pot (hydraulic maxi pot) on the input to the rear axle. I would look there first. There is a caging bolt, you can manually release.

  9. #9Dan2002dd2024-03-07 22:02

    I could not find a caging bolt but I took out the pin between the arm and canister for the parking brake and that released the axle so now it will drive. I hope to have someone bring it to my house tomorrow so I can work on it further to find the short and repair the parking brake. Thanks for everyone's help and I'm sure I'll be back with further questions.