Oil light came on. Didn't sound bad but quickly parked it. Checked oil, down one quart. Changed oil and filter but light still on. Ordered a sending unit but wanted to move the machine. Started and went 200 feet puff of black smoke and stopped engine. Will crack up again so not seized. What is next step to troubleshoot?
4T390 about 1999 vintage 5925 hours.
Need to hook up an oil pressure gauge to the main oil gallery to check oil pressure at the source. Have seen plugged oil sending units, Faulty gauges, and 2 engines with broken oil pump drives. One only had 50 hours on it. Start with 2 pressure gauges hooked up to verify engine problem or gauge reading problem. 2 gauges, one to verify the other ones results. Simon C
Thanks. I will find some gauges.
I don't have gauges yet but pulled off new oil filter and it is dry. Definitely not pumping any oil.
Drop the pan, and make sure the pickup tube is still attached?
By the sound of it, you’ve damaged the crank and rods already so no point in running it anymore. Pull the oilpan and check the oil pump and then remove and check all the main and rod bearings before you go any farther
What is the backhoe model? I can get the New Holland equivalent workshop manual. just FYI though CNH does not like supporting older stuff. In fact CNH policy is 6 years of support is all that is guaranteed for construction and Ag equipment being sold right now. I had to remove and completely remake a engine wiring harness for a LB 75 backhoe from 2000 because they are no longer available.
590 Turbo. So far I've been able to get parts at brokentractor.com
Pulled the pan and looks okay underneath. I do see some marks on the gear teeth but nothing broken yet. Will start on the cover tomorrow. Don't have a lot of time in one chunk and it is a swamp out there with the thaw.
A little bolt fell out above the oil pump idler and broke the tab as well as dented out the cover behind the pulley.