Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 1150G Torque Converter Issues

jasonddsmith ยท 2024-09-01 10:07

I have an 1150G I purchased at auction that will heat up the TC fluid very rapidly in any speed but low, and when it gets near the red the dozer won't move at all. Sometimes it will slip before I'm in the red, machine won't move, and I can watch the needle climb. Sometimes it will run in the high gears. but very very slowly, slower than low. This will happen in high gear in low range and both gears in high range. I'm using it mostly to push out piles on a pad and grade them out, so I'm not using it for more than about an hour at a time. In low gear, the temp will climb slowly but I can run it an hour no problems. I've resorted to running exclusively in low which is painful when your are deadheading from one side of the pad to the other. Is it a bad torque converter or is there something else that could be causing it? Machine has about 6100 hours.

Replies6
  1. #1Tinkerer2024-09-02 11:46

    If it slips at any time and the oil level is full it is time to replace it.

  2. #2Vetech632024-09-02 12:50

    Those dozers are famous for the transmission control valve gaskets blowing out. It causes low pressure and overheating.

  3. #3jasonddsmith2024-09-02 13:19

    Is that the valve block right under the seat?

  4. #4Vetech632024-09-02 13:29

    Yes it is

  5. #5alrman2024-09-02 16:30

    Welcome to HEF @jasonddsmith I'm guessing you bought the machine with this problem, so don't know if the loss of drive was a slow progression or a fast one? There are many things that can cause what you are describing. The transmission control valve gaskets is only one of them. Usually if it at fault, the transmission pressure will be low all the time - however, the G uses a different type of control valve without gaskets..... the spools in the later control valves are hollow & contain springs & poppets that can cause loss of pressure...... but a bad pump can do that too. It's all about pressure & oil flow. You need to tell us what is happening to the transmission pressure gauge - When cold in neutral When hot in neutral At idle & full rpm. When warm, at idle, clicking through each gear, pressure should read same for each gear & take same amount of time to engage - both tracks evenly, with same amount of "clunk". A lower pressure difference when a gear is engaged, indicates a leakage problem. 1150G's use Teflon oil control shaft seals - these are known to give trouble too. When these wear, oil pressure is sent to two different clutch packs at same time, this acts as a brake & will super heat the oil as well. In saying all this, if the torque convertor is worn, it will affect drive & not allow enough oil to go to the oil cooler, causing overheating. As the oil gets hotter, the internal leakage gets worse & the drive becomes weaker. You need to take notice of the transmission pressure gauge & descibe to us what is happening. Also, did you change the trans oil? The transmission suction screen needs to be checked.

  6. #6jasonddsmith2024-09-03 01:07

    Yes, @alrman the dozer came to me like this so I don't know the history of the issue except that it hasn't gotten worse or better in about 20 hours of runtime. When cold in neutral-Trans Needle Straight up When hot in neutral-Same as cold At full rpm Needle bounces slightly about 1/8 in from the high yellow. All gears seem to have identical response on the gauge and machine engagement. The transmission doesn't engage and the machine won't start to move until about 1/4-1/3 throttle. When warm, at an idle, I put it in gear and the needle immediately drops to the edge of the low yellow then back up and stays about vertical. Have not changed the trans oil or checked the screen. No warning lights are on.