My 1830 had not been used in over a year (18 months) and ran fine last time I used it. This time though I'm running into problems. First it would turn over but not start. A check showed no fire and after pulling checking and resetting the points and a few other obvious things like checking cap and rotor it now fires again, but no start. Even with starting spray it would simply backfire periodically on cranking. Next I thought perhaps the gas was too old, so I drained and filled with fresh, replaced filter, but no start with just the regular backfires through carb. This is a rather simple ignition system type, so this should be pretty simple, but is kicking my ass so far. The backfire seems like a timing issue, but distributor was not moved, so why would it be out? I have never had a manual for this machine as I just use it very seldom on my property, but I can find virtually no information for this tiny in line 4 cylinder motor. I'd replace the points, condenser, plugs, cap and rotor, but no idea what their specs even are. Can't find that anywhere. I found one online vendor with parts diagrams but their prices seem wildly high for what they are. $40.00 rotor cap? $21.00 for points, $200 for a coil? Is this right? I had hoped that, for example, the spark plugs might be "common" and available locally. Is my only option a Case dealer for this basic ignition parts? The closest Case dealer for me is over a 2 hour round trip without traffic, so not close. Does anyone have any thoughts on either problem I'm having (no start condition) or where I can fine specs for the Continental engine ignition parts and or sources. Any help would be gratefully appreciated. Thanks
You should be able to get parts for that engine at NAPA.
Hi Mitch and thanks for the reply. I thought so too, but called NAPA and they didn't seem to have a thing on this motor. The engine plate is there specifying the Teledydne Continental 688-46, but that didn't seem to mean anything to them. When they tried to look it up by Case 1830, nothing for that model. Perhaps the person I spoke to just didn't know, or it's not in their system. Just seems that the basic ignition parts should be somewhat generic or able to be crossed to something, but all Case part numbers are proprietary it seems, as those numbers lead nowhere when searched online.
Here is a link that will give you some info: http://************/m34js2m That engine is a Renault R-688 gas engine. If you have spark now I would be checking to be sure you are getting fuel to the carb. and if the carb. is gummed up from sitting. Gas now days can be big problems.
kshansen, The link you posted is blotted out/blocked in thread. Is that something you can PM or email me perhaps? On the fuel system advice you gave above, that is something I'm working on today to try to clear the bowl of any old fuel and see if it's crapped up. I really hate the E-10 fuels out these days.
Sorry about that it was a long link so I used tiny url that may be the problem, sent via, PM.
kshansen, Thanks for the link and information !!
If the spark plugs are not wet after cranking the engine, your not getting gas, I'd venture a guess its a needle and seat that your needing next, not sure napa can help you out with those though, case might be your only place to get them, its been too many years since I owned my 1830 to remember what carb was on that machine but I had nothing but problems with the carb on my 1830 and was constantly working on it.
Randy, Thanks, we did get it running after another start to finish check of entire machine. This included pulling and cleaning the carb completely (no way to dismantle as I didn't have a rebuild kit). It actually runs as well or better than it ever had now. Really wish I could figure out what ignition parts it takes without having to get those types of parts from Case.
napa part numbers I had a coolant line blow and had to replace some of the parts for the ignition system took a little bit of work to find with the help of my local napa but these are the napa echlin parts I put in my case 1830 Distributor cap ep163 Rotor ep173 Points set cs252 (didn't try yet but matched up visually) Sorry not sure about condenser
Hartie88, Thanks for that as those were several pieces of the puzzle I did not yet have. I can help you with the condenser and plugs though. With the help of a nice NAPA guy we identified a very similar application and the condenser was an "AL 869". Works great. The plugs in the machine were and were replaced with Champion L82YC gapped to .030 and they too work great. Machine is running very well right now, but I'd like to replace cap, rotor and points, so your post helps. I might convert though to electronic ignition, as I think I found an application that will work.
Did the electronic ignition work?