Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

CASE 1838 lost all movement

MNRandy ยท 2019-12-02 11:48

Hello and my apology I believe I am in the correct spot. I have a 1994 Case 1838 Uniloader (skidsteer) and the local AG on site repair guy replaced my starter on Friday. All good started as it should but when I went to move snow around my driveway about 60 feet into my forward journey it just stopped moving. Machine was not struggling at all it was heavy wet snow but moving it just fine. I stopped to answer a quick call and then continued to move another 10 feet and it just quit. Motor kept running fine but lost all hydraulic movement of arms, bucket and front and back motion. The machine seems to be in neutral (I know there is no such thing) Little back history...the starter was going out and it was doing some lunging forward at start so I had to make sure I was ready for this. It then got to a point when I had to find like a sweet spot in the drive arm handles to get the starter to turn over. Then I lost that sweet spot but maybe it was nothing and the starter was just BAD. It was replaced worked great to START as it should. I mention this because before I had starter replaced I would move my drive levers back and for and so on several times when it WAS NOT running. Could this have messed anything up or caused my current problem of NO MOVEMENT of my machine. When machine is running I can move the drive levers and the motor or PUMP (?) seems to change the sound it is or was making. Again I am not a mechanic however I am very handy and have worked on all kinds of equipment, vehicles, mowers and such but I am at a loss. The local traveling AG repairman is swamped right now so if anyone can help or make suggestions I truly appreciate it. the machine has less than 1500 original hours on it, I am the second owner and have put on 1400 of the 1468 hours. Thank you..

Replies14
  1. #1heymccall2019-12-02 12:21

    Between the flywheel and the hydraulic pumps, there is a rubber coupling. Those have been known to go bad from old age.

  2. #2MNRandy2019-12-02 12:33

    Thank you for prompt reply. If or when I am replacing this should I replace other parts while I have this apart? I believe it isn't recommended to PULL or TOW the 1838 at anytime. Is it OK to tow or pull now that this isn't working or do they say DO NOT pull or tow due to the drive chains?

  3. #3MNRandy2019-12-02 12:40

    Heymccall do you have a P/N for that coupling... The AG repair guy mentioned the "LOVE JOY" is this the same part?

  4. #4heymccall2019-12-02 12:43

    110548A1 flange

  5. #5kshansen2019-12-02 15:21

    Maybe heymccall can answer on the safe towing. I seem to recall on some of the 1845's there was a small valve spool you could turn to let hydraulic pressure by-pass in the pumps and then on a different model there was a special tool you could install in a couple ports of the pump assembly to do the same thing. Just not sure on the 1838. If you have an operators manual it should be shown in that. If you don't have the manual I would strongly suggest getting one for future reference! Can't say how good it is but here is one listed for $20.00, just using it once would possibly pay for that price: https://farmmanualsfast.com/case-18...MI5ZvPlOWX5gIVBqSzCh0WuwQkEAQYASABEgKp9PD_BwE

  6. #6heymccall2019-12-02 16:46

    For what it weighs, I'd just drag it with park brakes engaged. We just tug it up onto a steel plate and then drag the plate. As for hydrostat and towing, with the brakes off, they can be slowly towed for a short distance. The heat generated by the oil trying to circulate can damage the pumps or motors, or both.

  7. #7kshansen2019-12-02 19:13

    We had it pretty easy at the quarry, just run over there with the 988H and some heavy slings. carry over to the shop and set it down inside! Like the idea of a steel plate, only have to move skid-steer a few feet then you can slide it any where. That said I would still strongly recommend having an owner/operators manual, it was mandatory that all equipment had one in or on every machine at the quarry. I think it is an MSHA or maybe just a company requirement.

  8. #8alrman2019-12-03 15:40

    If the coupling spline is damaged, the pump input shaft will most likely need replacing also.....

  9. #9MNRandy2020-01-07 10:00

    Alrman yes I had to have the hydraulic system rebuilt I had ruined the shaft as well. Can anyone send me the parts diagram with part number listed for everything on the hydraulic pump?

  10. #10MNRandy2020-01-07 10:05

    Hello Sir You sent an image of the part I needed. Is it legal or can you email me or post the blow up diagram of the hydraulic unit with part numbers or names listed? Also the image you sent to show the flange can you send the call out or part number names for that image you already sent I need to get some of the bolts and so on for that area.

  11. #11heymccall2020-01-07 11:27

    These images are from avspare . com I registered, for free, there years ago. It's a very awkward site to navigate, but, it's worth it.

  12. #12MNRandy2020-01-07 11:39

    Thank you very much. Is there a drawing to show all the items that hook up to the actual tandem pump. Some of the cable hook up actuators or whatever you call them are wore from unit being loose. Thank you again...

  13. #13kshansen2020-01-08 11:18

    Not sure exactly what what you are needing but I would suggest that you look here: https://partstore.casece.com/us/par...8f0ec15d72ea7&sl=EN&currency=#epc::model_find Enter your model number and see if you can find the information you need.

  14. #14heymccall2020-01-08 14:35