G'day Guy's, Well it has been a longtime but this bobcat is getting there as I got the pump back in and connected all the hyd hosing. Now as the hyd system is void of oil would I need to prime it first or would it self prime? I will admit I'm not a diesel mechanic but I am a mechie fitter with my own machineshop on my farm off the grid. Now the story behind this bobcat, it was working fine and a hose blew and from looking at some of the other hoses it was clear as they were rubbing together they wore thru the hose walls. My mate put a new hose on it but lost the right hand drive straight after. Before the hose break the bobcat was working fine too. So I do guess when he changed the hose he got an airlock. Now the pump and drive motors have been apart and no damage or bad wear was evident. On the rebuild I have put some a protective sheath (that type that wraps around) on very hose to help ensure all the hoses are protected from wear in the future. After asking around I havent got a definitive answer so I do hope you guys can give me some idea if I do need to prime first. Regards Bryan
Fill it up with fluid. Use a remote start to crank the engine over, but disable it so it can't actually start. Do several 10 second burst. Top off the fluid. Start it let it idle for a moument before working the functions. Cycle it threw all the functions, check and top off fluid. Repeat until the there is no sounds of air and fluid level stays constiance. If you really wan to over acheive, put it on jackstands so the wheels can turn with no load to start. Saying this as nice as I can with no intend to sound like a *****, bobcat is a brand, not a type of machine, you have case 1840 skidsteer.
Im bettin your mech got abrasives in the hose and wiped out the hydro pump for that side, a common occourance. hydros require no bleeding , just cycling the levers will purge air out. We have had many posts just like yours and all after hose replacement. Mel
X2 Well put.