Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 1840: Refilling a drained hydraulic system questions

97Case1840 · 2022-12-12 10:17

1994 Case 1840 skid steer: Blew a drive motor hose which drained the majority of the hydraulic fluid. So I decided to replace any and all hoses under the cab showing wear to hopefully avoid any more blow outs in the near future. I plan on changing the hydraulic filter as well. My question(s): Since the hydraulic system is for the most part empty, when I replace the hydraulic filter, do I need to fill the filter with oil before I install it? Do I need to bleed the hydraulic system somehow? Do I need to leave the emergency valves that I opened to winch the machine on the trailer open when I start it or should I close them first? Thanks in Advance!!

Replies2
  1. #1Coaldust2022-12-12 12:48

    No No, but move the implements slow and don’t bottom out the cylinders, thus creating hot air. Close the valves. Use clean oil. Like Chevron ISO clean. Hope someone cleaned all those new hoses. Welcome Mr. 97Case ! Go check in at the new member forum and introduce yourself. Tell us about your Case and all the cool things you accomplish with it.

  2. #297Case18402022-12-13 10:54

    Thanks Coaldust! I'm using new oil, the hoses where all cleaned before installing and I also changed out the hydraulic filter. I changed the engine oil and filter, air filter, and I'll be changing the fuel filter once I get it fired up and make sure everything is working properly.