Buying a new skid steer right now for snow clearing where fine movements are the norm. Getting as close as possible with attachments to things. I tried a used bobcat with electric joysticks and my god it was aweful. Probably a full half second delay between input and action. Was driving me crazy. Is this user adjustable? Do any makers have electric joysticks that are fast like pilot controls? I have a TL240 and LOVE it's controls.
On most machines I have encountered, you can run through a calibration process. You are basically telling the controller when to disregard inputs vs when to acknowledge. They can be adjusted to be twitchy or lazy if your dealer knows how to tweak the inputs.
EH controls can be faster than pilots, it all depends on how they are set. I think about everyone's machines that are EH have selectable programming. The technology has improved immensely from when it first came on scene. So running an EH machine that is even a couple years old, may not be the best version of that machine. Pilots are more trouble free, just less to go wrong. However, I love the flexibility of EH. If I want to dial down the response, I can do that. Make it ultra fast I can do that. Change the pattern from H to ISO (not sure why anyone would do that LOL).
Is this a dealer adjustment or something the end user can do through button pushes?
It depends on mfr. Some, you need their diag software to access. Others , you just need to know the secret handshake to get into service mode.
I've got a bobcat S650 with SJC controls and I love them. Yes, they are user adjustable - 3 levels of sensitivity. Yes, they take a bit of getting used to if you are coming from something else. My last skid was an 1845c and it was direct hydraulics and instant response. If you weren't very smooth, it could turn into a skid steer rodeo fairly quickly. Working close to thing, you had no room for error. Just a bit too much input and the machine would lurch forward. Lost count on the number of things I hit with it. Working close to things was one of the main reasons I got these controls. That slight delay give you a much bigger margin for error. The response isn't instant (on/off), it kind of ramps up, so it's very easy to control and make small movement. Level 3 is sluggish, I usually use 2, which gives you a compromise of response/control. If you spend 8 hours a day in a skid steer, you'd probably prefer pilot controls or direct hydraulic control. For weekend warriors like me, the SJC controls are much better, more forgiving and safer. All depends on your needs.
The CASE/New Holland machines have 3 presets and you have the ability to make your own custom response settings. You can also toggle between H and ISO. That is a standard feature not an option you have to pay for. That is a big deal for us, where we have both ISO and H operators. I am not sure how everyone else does it, but you shouldn't have to have a dealer do for you. This is one of the big benefits of EH. It would be really silly if you had to have a dealer make the changes for you. Pilot controls are not that easy. It typically is a take it or leave it response setting.
I have a 2022 John Deere 332G With EH Controls and they are adjustable 3 ways with a switch. I find them good and am totally use to them now. I can also put my machine in creep mode with wheel speed from 1 to 99 percent. Can be full throttle and hardly moving but maximum bucket power. It all depends on what you like. Simon C
I forgot to mention the creep speed availability with EH, can't do that with Pilots (or at least I have not seen it).