Morning, I have an older Case 1840 that the right side drive tires will not turn. I have read a couple threads on here but was unable to dive in until I create this account. I wondering what I should do to see what the issue is? The right side drive started to slow and then today just quit all together. There appears to be a couple electronic solenoids that are mounted to the side of the pump under the seat. Ond of them the wires had come off. What are these and doe they affect the drive. I did try swapping them from left to right, but am still have the same issue. Thank you,
What's your email ?I will send you the service manual so you have it on hand. It has the schematics and trouble shooting like pressure checks to make sure are on the right track .
[email protected] , Thank you. Really appreciate your help.
Manual emailed to you .
Did you ever figure it out? Just bought a 1840 sounds identical to my problem
10-16.5.i have 12's too tall and bucket does not sit flat on the ground
Check you drive chain .You may have snapped them . If you would like the books .Send me your email address .
Need more information. Describe what and when this happened. One thing could be a broken or stuck parking brake on that side. With the machine idling, move the lever slightly back and forth. Do you hear the engine slowing down? If so, don't try to force it. You'll only break something expensive. Remove the plate that exposes the battery. The left and right parking brake cables are right there. I'd inspect those first. Move the lap bar up and down to see how they work
If you look and see the wire cable going into the chain case has broken, the brake is spring loaded to default to on. That would certainly explain it.
If you don’t mind sending me the books that would be awesome. [email protected] . Dug into it the bast 2 days. Chain was really loose on right side jacked it up tires on the left definitely spinning faster then the right. Left will spin when driving into a pile right won’t. Thinking it’s a weak pump or drive motor
Thanks. Checked the break it’s been removed. Appears to just be weeker on the right side. Found the right spool leaking on the tandom pump pretty good. Anyway if I replace the orings I’d get the powers back?
Seems like it has decent power at full throttle and it jumps when they does engage
@tool_king I have a 97' 1840, do you happen to have a service manual? I just have parts and operators
Sherwood22 what is your email ?
@tool_king it's [email protected] Thanks very much!
I have similar problem with my 1840. Right side seems to lock up. Sometimes moving the left will allow the right to move a bit. It happened suddenly. The right brake cable was loose so I tightened-no improvement. I would value any information or manual you can send. Thank you. [email protected]
@ECL Your problem sounds like you may have a broken chain & it is jammed between the sprocket & casing.
Thanks for responding. Today, I worked at getting the chains loose and removed the drive sprocket from the motor. The problem is still there with the wheels unhooked. The drive motor just jerks, turns, jerks, turns, etc. This side is one that didn't travel as fast as the left. What direction would you point me next.
@ECL Just to be sure I understand exactly what/how you have checked the drive issue. You raised the wheels off the ground? Removed the support bearing cover from the end of the drive motor? When you loosened the chains, you managed to pull the sprocket off the drive motor? Then you ran the engine With it still raised off the ground & saw the drive motor was not turning with a smooth rotating action? If so, did higher engine rpm make a difference?
↑ I have not tried the higher rpm. Since it was a jerky movement, I guess I only ruled out the chain, bearings, etc. The strange thing to me is, when in use, not only was it erratic on movement, at times it would just 'lock' up on that side without the engine bogging down, as it would do if wheels are locked and one tries to move.
If the wheels "locked" up the engine should go under load. If it simply stopped driving, because of a loss of pressure - then the engine would not go under load. In saying that, if it gets pressure & then loses it - to cause what you are describing, you may have issues with the servo piston in the pump binding up. I'm only making a guess on it....... You really need to test some pressures - starting with charge pressure, system relief pressures & possibly do motor leakage test. If you don't have the gauges & test fittings required - or the knowlege to use them - it may be worth paying someone who does.
Thank you for the information. I have been looking at the pressure test points and the gauges needed, so will look into paying one more knowledgeable than myself to do the checking and repair.