Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 1840 Skidsteer No Spring to Hand Control

n0vice ยท 2020-07-11 17:23

I have a '91 Case 1840 and my right hand control turned to mush... it works but doesn't spring back. Before I spend hours ands hours (more) digging into this, I thought I could benefit from some experience. Am I likely looking at a bad part in the control valve assembly (spring or otherwise)? If so, is it worth trying to fix or is it best to get the whole assembly (or take it to a dealer to fix - either way I'm going to be poor and sad). The left handle works fine, and there's no springs between them and the control valve so it has to be the spring in the valve right? It's a physical spring - not fluids pressure I'm assuming?

Replies8
  1. #1kshansen2020-07-11 18:39

    OK first off is this the control for driving the wheels we are talking about or the control for the boom or bucket? Next does this machine have foot controls for the boom/bucket or are the controls worked by the handles that drive the forward and reverse of the wheels? Maybe even give the S/N to be sure we are talking the same machine! For a online parts book you can look here: https://partstore.casece.com/us/parts-search.html#epc::home No matter what the part that is causing this "problem" if you have any mechanical aptitude you should be able to fix it for under a hundred dollars. If you don't have the aptitude to fix it I might get in trouble so I won't go further there!

  2. #2n0vice2020-07-11 20:16

    Thanks for the response. It's for the bucket controls (right hand) - no foot controls. Old school mechanical hand lever. S/N: JAF0312383 (doesn't show up by search - maybe I'm reading a digit wrong but I checked twice)

  3. #3Ed ke6bnl2020-07-11 20:30

    that sn from somone elses chart show it to be a 2000 year model

  4. #4kshansen2020-07-12 10:43

    Well if it is the bucket controls take a look at this page: https://partstore.casece.com/us/parts-search.html#epc::mr57484ar414541 There is a centering spring on each of the spools in the control valve. Control valve should be pretty easy to see on the inside of the frame on right side of machine about lined up with the right rear wheel. I would start by disconnecting the linkage from the valve body and see if the spool works in and out with out any real resistance from the spring. It should actually spring back to neutral pretty good. If it move back and forth easy and stays where you stop it then there is a problem with the centering spring. Been too long since I sat in a Case Skid steer, is the right control the one that works the roll back and dump of the bucket? If so look in the drawing for #7 bolt, could be it has backed out releasing the tension on the spring. I'd clean real good around the valve and remove the two bolts holding cap #6 on being careful for any parts to fall out and see if the bolt #7 did back out or maybe broke.

  5. #5n0vice2020-07-12 15:36

    @Ed - Thanks for that chart. I'm going to go back to the shop and recheck the serial number. I bet I grabbed '91 off a label that was just a diagram sticker that has been reused through the years. @kshansen - Thank you for the suggestion and details. It helps knowing if I pull that cap, the components come backwards out of that. I guess I was dreading they came out of the front where there is very little space to work. I do know that at this point (without even disconnecting the linkage) I can grab it with my hand and move it back and forth and the hand lever flips up and down with zero spring back either way. So that #7 would seem to either be out completely or broken. I will get started on that right away and report back. Thanks!

  6. #6n0vice2020-07-12 17:53

    Culprit found. Broken spring: N9539 It had shattered into 3 pieces. Looks like this fix won't be nearly as difficult or expensive as I was thinking. Thanks! And the serial was correct so apparently it is a 2000. Nice knowing that too.

  7. #7kshansen2020-07-12 18:14

    Well one more note I see that spring goes for something like $40.00 at Case Might be worth checking this EBay guy https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Holland-Case-IH-SPRING-TENSION-Part-N9539-/383380339933 He's only asking $25.00 plus shipping.

  8. #8n0vice2020-07-12 18:38

    Yeah I saw that. If the local dealer doesn't have it on hand then that will be my goto. But getting it right away would be worth the cost.