Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 1840 tire upgrade

Cajun1986 ยท 2014-02-22 15:18

Anyone have any experience going to the bigger tire on a Case 1840? I am concerned about interference to the body? I have stock 10x16.5 tires presently and considering going to a 12x16.5 tire. I would get 1 inch more ground clearance and 2 inches more tread width. This might reduce chances of getting stuck and would greatly decrease the chances of damaging the lawn while driving around. Machine is to be used primarily for personal use around my property. Low annual use of hours. I am considering a tread pattern similar to the Hauler SKZ, something like a BKT Sure Trax HD. Any input would be appreciated.

Replies11
  1. #1KSSS2014-02-22 18:18

    I had never tried that but it sounds like a good idea. You would likely have to make sure you could find a rim that would give you the correct offset.

  2. #2thehemikid2014-02-22 18:34

    ...would adding the spacers (like they do when you add the OTT tracks), be an option... if you could not find the right offset wheels.

  3. #3powerjoke2014-02-22 20:54

    be carefull when raising them it makes it a bitch to grade with, the bucket doesnt hit the ground at the right angle and wants to gouge the hell out of everything, we had a set of OTT solideals and ran them about a day, their response was " your supposed to buy our undersize tires" said the hell with it and put the steel tracks back on and never had a problem pj

  4. #4Cajun19862014-02-23 18:26

    I want to use the stock rims without spacers so was wondering if anyone else had experience with upgrading to bigger tires. Failing that, I will replace with existing 10x16.5.

  5. #5Tuck662019-03-30 02:18

    Hey Cajun. .did you ever try 12 x 16.5 tires on your 1840 skid steer..with out spacers....? I'm thinkin it may work..your thoughts...many thanks

  6. #6Ed ke6bnl2020-01-07 22:55

    I read that the 12x16.5 tires will raise the height of the skid and will make using the bucket properly more difficult

  7. #7Welder Dave2020-01-08 00:19

    I don't think it would make much difference for 95% of the work you'd do. A skid steer on grass will tear up the lawn unless you do very gradual turns. A 2" wider tire won't change that.

  8. #8Gregh002021-03-16 12:37

    I have big tires on my 1840. It raised the skidsteer and changed the front tipping load on the bucket. Picked up a load of 200 metal t-posts and tipped forward and lost the load. Only 1500 lbs on the forks and about 3' off the ground. But very useful on my ranch with large rocks in soil and lots of mud when it rains.

  9. #9Welder Dave2021-03-16 17:58

    Forks can put the load out further than the bucket and I think should have a lower load rating. 1500lbs. is already over the rated capacity. I've tipped a skid steer onto a dump truck lifting heavy wet clay. You have to keep your wits about you and not panic. Seat bars are a great innovation for skid steers. The fold over bars Case had on early machines were a joke.

  10. #10Cookcountycummins2021-03-16 18:30

    Just trying to get to 3 so i can post a pic

  11. #11RokMan2023-05-04 03:27

    I will add to this old post...One of the best things I did for my New Holland lx665 was buy five 12 x16.5 rims and now new Severe duty Carlisle [USA made] tires. They are excellent, well made tire [weigh 100lbs ea.!] thru Amazon. I can roll over small logs now without the tires spinning on the slick cambium/bark. They are just about 2" taller and makes it a little easier to load small dump trucks, but the extra height does not affect center of gravity...It is also nice having one extra as spare, but these severe duty tires [hopefully] will not go flat for a long time...serious lugs! That is my 2 cents. l8r