I have a 1984 Case 1845B and I'm having issues with low RPMs. I go full open on the throttle, it doesnt increase RPMs and it studders, eventually stalling after a few minutes. I'm going replace the fuel filters and check the flow on the lines today but I noticed that there is an inline electric fuel pump next to the fuel tank. I have the service manual and it doesnt show a lift pump in the fuel circuit. I know that this may be a point of failure and I'm going to check the pump but if I find that its bad should I replace it? Its an after market part someone threw in there and the system wasnt designed to have a lift pump originally. I'm guessing the Injection Pump is designed to draw from the tank. So I'm not sure if this electric pump is helping or hurting. I know the IP on my truck needs a lift pump or it will damage the pump but if the Roosta Master on the skid steer is designed to draw from the tank would the Electric Pump hurt it? Also I did notice that the manual hand pump has been removed so maybe threw this in there to assist with removing the air in the line??
Hi Joe, I've got an 1845B and it has no lift pump or manual hand pump. I changed all four injectors this weekend and when I was finished I just cranked the engine for about 20 seconds with all of the lines loose at the injectors, then tightened the lines and it fired right up and ran smoothly. The RoosaMaster on mine just relies on gravity feed from the tank. Good luck! Greg
The Case parts book shows a manual priming pump mounted somewhere on the frame, between the fuel tank and the primary filter. Nothing wrong with a small electric as a priming pump I don't think, but I wouldn't leave it running constantly, if it needs that there may be other issues like a clogged line or fitting, guck in the tank, sucking air someplace, plugged vent in the fuel cap, etc.
Thanks for the info. I removed it and I'm still having the same issue. Fuel flows freely all the way to the pump so I think its safe to say its either the pump or the injectors/lines
Did you check the return line is clear from the top of the pump back to tank? Also, remove the check valve fitting where that return line connects to the pump, should be a glass ball and spring in it I think, make sure that's clean and working right. You can try just running it with the check valve out, of course you will get some fuel out of that port.
I did check the return lines and they were all clear. I havent checked anything on the pump itself because I dont know much about them. I figured I might be able to use the Service Manual but this isnt a stock pump. The one thats on there is a DB2-4183 pump. I'm trying to find out if that pump is ok to use on the 188D or if I need to find a stock pump to replace this one. I dont know if the DB2 is overfueling, starving or ok. Anybody know where I can find some flow specs on the different Rossta Master pumps?
Check that return outlet fitting/check valve just for giggles. What pump is supposed to be on it? Case show their part# A156736, quick google search shows a probable cross to your number.
The stock pump is a DBGFCC431-54AJ . The 2 pumps might be compariable but i cant find any info to compare them and I have no ideas of where I can find the info
Just an update for anyone experiencing the same issues - I tore the pump down and found that the rubber that holds the weight retainer cage to the center shaft had deteriorated. There were little pieces of it all through the pump. There is a one piece cage that you can buy to replace this or if you get a new seal kit off of eBay it will have a new rubber retainer ring (which is a b*#ch to get on) . From my understanding this is a common problem. After 1985 they did away with this design but if your pump is pre 85 you may experience this problem at some point.