Can anyone help me with what hydraulic fluid should be used in this machine? It's a late 1980s 1845B. From what I understand, some machines used 10W30 with an additive, others used 10W30 straight. Do I have to be careful with what oil I use? Would the "tractor fluid" work? I cannot see to find the additive locally. Thanks, Marco
If you have planetary drive gear and axial piston motors, then you do not need additive. If you have geroler drive motors, then you should use the Case additive. For 1845C machines, the serial break number is JAF0067438. Not sure if that also works for 1845B's. Either post your serial # or a picture of your drive motors, if you want to know for sure. As for tractor fluid, no idea. I always used 10w30 myself.
Phil, I am new to the skid steer game and trying to read up on the different components. When you say planetary drive gear, is that the pump that is bolted to the end of the large pump (hydrostatic pump)? As for the axial piston motors (2 total) do you mean motors that drive the wheels? I can post some pictures of what is under the seat if that helps clarify. As for the serial number, it doesnt start with JAF as far as I can tell. But I will post it as soon as I can.
The main hydraulic pump is under the seat. The drive motors for the wheels (and planetaries if you have them) are under where your feet are. There is probably an access panel at your feet that you can pull out and see them.
Looks like those are the planetary gearboxes correct? So the planetary use 90W gear oil and the hydraulic system uses 10W30 with NO additive?
Yes, that is correct. 90W gear oil in the planetaries & 10W30 for hydraulics. You do not need the Case HTO additive. I think I used 75w90 GL4 gear oil just because I had a extra case of it. Drive motors are in the orange box, Planetaries in the green box.
Thank you Phil. Do you have to use any special type of 10W30, I know the newer stuff has a lot of detergents and such. Thanks Marco
Nothing special, just whatever 10W30 I had on hand. Machines of that age are very forgiving, the idea was you used the same oil for everything, motor, hydraulic, chain case.
Awesome, I was actually considering moving to AW46 or 68. I found a deal on 45 gallons of AW46 ($200), I think the machine could use a flush as letting everything circulate. If I pay the $60/5gallon pale I'll go broke! -Marco