Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 256c skid steer no heat

ranhil · 2022-10-25 10:00

I do not have any heat in my cat 256c skidder. I have check and have power at the temp control switch and the switch works like it should. I have cleaned the cores out and last year replaced the electronic control valve. Is there a fuse somewhere I could be missing that controls all this? thanks

Replies20
  1. #1heymccall2022-10-25 11:31

    If blower works, hvac fuse circuit is good. Check for voltage and signal at heater water valve. Could water valve actuator be failed?

  2. #2ranhil2022-10-25 11:38

    When you say water valve actuator you mean the one in the pan down by the blower I assume? thanks

  3. #3ranhil2022-10-25 11:39

    thank you by the way for the diagrams and such!!

  4. #4Nige2022-10-25 11:47

    This one might be a somewhat better illustration. Ref #8.

  5. #5heymccall2022-10-25 11:54

    You said that you cleaned the core. The heater water valve is attached to the core.

  6. #6Nige2022-10-25 12:16

    Provided that you have a 480-8589 Water Valve it is available as a complete unit but you can also buy the Actuator separately under Part Number 563-0397. If you have an earlier P/N water valve such as 328-3317 the only option is to buy a complete assembly of the new Part Number.

  7. #7ranhil2022-10-25 13:05

    thanks for diagram and info!! I talked to me dealer and now they say cat replaced the valve assembly on those from the originals. I am not sure why I wasnt told this before, but they say the new ones can be wired opposite of the originals so I may need to change the wire pins around. Seems like that would have good to know when I put the new one in. I will check it out one evening this week and let you know. Thanks so much for all the help.

  8. #8Nige2022-10-25 13:15

    That's weird. According to the P/N upgrade procedure (attached) it mentions nothing about any wiring changes.

  9. #9heymccall2022-10-25 13:19

    Nige, that letter doesn't call out a 256C. I stole the schematic from a 262D, which may be the issue. The 256C uses a 266-2432, which is indeed replaced by the 480-8589, requiring a wiring update. This thread has all the info needed vvv HeavyEquipmentForums

  10. #10Nige2022-10-25 14:02

    Reading that link it would appear that we’ve been here before......

  11. #11ranhil2022-10-25 14:25

    thanks guys. I will review the other thread and let you know.

  12. #12Nige2022-10-25 14:54

    Please pay special attention to the posts towards the end where Cat's deliberate mistake in an illustration within the REHS4097 modification procedure is unravelled and corrected......

  13. #13ranhil2022-10-25 15:41

    reading your post I concluded Pin 1 in top right should be green, Pin 2 bottom right should be purple, Pin3 bottom left should be blank and pin 4 top left should be black. Is this the correct conclusion? thanks

  14. #14Nige2022-10-25 16:15

    Yes that is correct. Here's another copy of REHS4097 where I have edited the text for Steps 15 & 17 so that it corresponds with Illustration 10. TBH as was mentioned in that thread I would personally crimp the 9X-3402 Sockets on the 3 wires then plug them direct into the new water valve and test it before assembling everything into the 155-2271 Deustch connector and installing the wedge to hold it all in place.

  15. #15ranhil2022-10-25 16:23

    thank you so much. will let you know what I find out. Have a great day!!!

  16. #16ranhil2022-10-28 09:18

    So i got at it last night. I have power to the actuator but it is not opening and or closing the valve. looks like I need part number 563-0397. would you know by chance if that requires a rewiring like you described ? thanks

  17. #17Nige2022-10-28 09:35

    First thing you have to establish is whether or not you have the new design of water valve installed. The original 266-2432 Part Number of valve did not have a replaceable actuator. If that's what you have right now then you have to buy a complete new 480-8589 Valve and then you are into the re-wire as per the procedure in REHS4097. So first thing is to look closely at the existing valve for any sign of a Part Number. If you are lucky and have either the first update 328-3317 (279-0850) or the second update 480-8589 (563-0397) water vave installed then a separate actuator is available. Actuator Part Numbers in brackets.

  18. #18ranhil2022-10-28 10:38

    I have the updated one. My actuator is the 279-0850. So I will not need a rewire kit? is that the correct assumption?

  19. #19Nige2022-10-28 10:48

    I think so, although 279-0850 is now cancelled and replaced by 563-0397. The update in REHS4097 was to install the 279-0850 in place of what was there before. If the back of your actuator looks like this with the 4-pins for the Deutsch connector in the corner it should be plug & play.

  20. #20ranhil2022-10-28 10:55

    yeah, that is exactly what mine looks like. thanks for the help.