Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 1845c & a 3500lb Grinder

thehemikid ยท 2012-01-07 03:19

New to skid steer's & this forum, & been reading & studying a lot here about the Case 1845c in the last 5 wks. Here's my scenario. A friend of mine needs to move a 3500lb Grinder. I'm assuming with the Case 1845c "tipping load" rating of 3545lbs that I could "just" lift it (just enough off the ground to move it safely) with pallet forks with a 4000lb rating that I having bought yet. I assume also that I would need some counter weight to do this ...safely. Any one of you guy's done a similar weight with the 1845c? If this is feasible I would buy the forks & borrow some weights of a tractor. With the "Breakout forces" of 3450lb (Lift cylinder) & 4690lb (Bucket cylinder), would I "only" be able to curl it to lift it? Any help appreciated.

Replies8
  1. #1CRAFT2012-01-07 06:05

    I Tag team jobs with a buddy of mine that has an 1845c ..... that machine has got to be one of the most amazing smaller skid-steers that i've ever seen .... I seen him take a 4000# pallet off of a high boy semi-trailer with no tipping issues ... but I've got to mention to you that his machine does have the factory installed counter weight under the rear access door ( not sure if that is a standard feature on the 1845c) If it was me i'd go get the forks as you say, and just give it a try and see what it'll do (don't know how high you want to lift that grinder or how far forward the weight is going to be on the forks) just be careful you can always add the weight if it is too tippy, that is it's just one move ..... Good-luck

  2. #2thehemikid2012-01-07 12:13

    Thanks, sounds pretty encouraging. Sense you mentioned the counter weights as standard or not I went & looked again at the Performance Spec's & it list 100lb as standard for the 1845c, ...so a previous owner removed them I guess. Someone has welded two 2" Reece receiver's onto that plate where the weights normally go, one to each side of the tie down lug for pulling a trailer or whatever. I guess I'll use those to mount a quick attach weight bar. Being able to pull a trailer may come in handy. Thanks again.

  3. #3KSSS2012-01-07 13:31

    There is a lot issues with lifting that kind of weight and whether or not you will be able to lift it. Example: the more you are able to get the weight closer to the machine the better. Those lift capacities are done with a bucket not with pallet forks, so if that weight is further from the skid steer you will not be able to lift as much. I have seen many guys wield round steel rods off the back of the lift towers on 1845C's and stack typically round weights on the rod or hang tractor weights off the rods. Its a pretty good location to maximize the effectiveness of the counterweight. Your success will depend largely on the shape of the item your lifting and again how successful you are at getting that weight as close to the machine as possible. Make sure your tires, especially the front tires are at max air pressure that will help. Be safe.

  4. #4CRAFT2012-01-07 15:10

    From what I remember on my buddies 1845c is, the bar of steel is about 2"thick by ~8" deep and full width of the under body of your skid mounted pretty much directly under the rear door .... if I had to guess, it would look like about 100# of steel ..... but what you have there sounds like a piece of cake to add weight off of that hitch and if it's just used for when you are just lifting that's in a better place (further back) and EASY/Quik to remove again ....... hmmmmm now that gives me an idea what to add next on mine too ..... cheers

  5. #5thehemikid2012-01-07 15:12

    Thanks KSSS, for the reminder, I had thought about the front tire pressure my self, & was wondering about the center-of-gravity of the grinder too, after seeing a fork manufacturer's rating of there fork being 24" from the mast. I don't have the dimensions of the base of this machine at the moment,... but I think the C-of-G will be a little more than 24". May have to call the manufacturer to get the CoG & come in from a closer side. So,....sounds like I'll be at the raged edge, if it works. Thanks again.

  6. #6thehemikid2012-01-07 15:15

    I'll go & try to get a pic for ya CRAFT.

  7. #7thehemikid2012-01-07 16:55

    Pic's, CRAFT Not meaning to multiple post here, but while making these pic's I was reminded about the Tracks on it & was doing some of that thar thinking again. Was thinking of removing then for this lift (being it will be on a lot of as-volt (sp)) but, I think I read where the Grouser's weighed ~ 900lbs+ (14.75") so I guess 1/2 of that would be on the rear axles, adding weight back past the front axles for counter weight. So I guess still adding some more counters at the rear as mentioned earlier shouldn't hurt. Any more comments.

  8. #8CRAFT2012-01-08 00:15

    Thanx for the pic Hemi ....... sometimes i'm so smart it drives me Nuts ! ....just like my HEF handle (CRAFT ...... can't remember a *****n thing) ... my buddy was over today with his machine , we did a emergency water line repair and my Cat excavator was too far away so I called on him with his backhoe attachment (as I said before we tag-team alot) .... any who, it would have been so easy to take a pic for you and ......well..... craft kicked in again ....LOL Which reminds me of what kinda crazy things we get ourselves into .....last Saturday (New Years eve) we get a call that a guy we know put his Thomas 133 with tracks and snow blade thru the ice and the only thing showing out of the pond was the front side of the blade .... between the 2 of us we verticall lifted that 133 straight up outta the pond .... but thats a story I need pics to show what we did and I gotta get ahold of them for the pics they took for my wall of shame album ...ooohhhhhppppps Those tracks you have on your machine will make up for alot of counter weight .... take a pic of the grinder first and post it for us ....cheers