Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 1845c cold start problem

RND9203 · 2022-12-27 14:41

Hey everyone, I am new to the heavy equipment world but during these past few days with the crazy cold that came in I went to start the skid steer and it didn't want to but it did start. However once it started I let it idle to warm up and it acted like it was having issues and then died. Now all it does is crank it does start at all, since everything was fine prior and now it just cranks and cranks I am amussing it is a fuel problem. Could the diesel have gotten gelled? TIA!

Replies5
  1. #1phil3142022-12-27 14:50

    1. if you've never changed the fuel filter(s), then doing so is not a bad idea. 2. check to make sure the lift pump is working. It's a common problem and cheap and easy to replace. Open a bleeder value and pump the lever on the side of the pump. You should get a strong flow out the bleeder. 3. Make sure you've got 12v to the fuel shutoff solenoid when the machine is on. 4. As always, make sure your grounds are good, tight and not corroded. That can cause all sorts of weird issues. 5. finally, make sure it has diesel in it. The gauge sending units are problematic and not always accurate.

  2. #2thepumpguysc2022-12-27 23:54

    U might hafta open the lines AT THE INJECTORS a turn or two, inorder to let the air out.. Personally I would get new filters and fill them w fuel before installing.. it’ll save u from wearing your arm out pumping the hand primer.. just my .02cents.

  3. #3ThreeCW2022-12-28 00:00

    What kind of "crazy cold" temperatures did you have when you had your starting / stalling problem? Are your running a winter blend diesel and what is the lowest temperature is it rated for? Or is the fuel in your machine left over from earlier in the season (or even portion of it)? If you are not running a seasonally adjusted winter diesel, as the temperature drops, wax crystals can come out of solution from the diesel and form wax deposits in your fuel system ... most commonly in your fuel filter(s) ... which can restrict the fuel flow and stall your machine. Water in your fuel can also freeze in cold weather and cause an ice plugging problem. Have a read of this recent thread to understand the potential for waxing / icing problem and some possible solutions: HeavyEquipmentForums

  4. #4KSSS2022-12-28 15:54

    He is in Texas, so I doubt he has gelling issues, but I could be wrong. I thought the exact same thing until I realized where he was at.

  5. #5RND92032023-01-06 10:55

    Hey everyone sorry for the delay! So I was not thinking it was a diesel gelling issue but a diesel fuel issue instead and I replaced the fuel filters and bled the air out of the lines and it ran for a bit and then died. I finally found the problem! It was the fuel line going to the bleeder valve had a crack in the line and was constantly bleeding air so I replaced the line, bled the system and all is good! Thanks everyone.