I have a 1989 Case 1845C with the 1st generation quick tach. When I bought it the bucket was welded to the QT and I had it all separated. The pins never really make good contact or provide pressure. Hotdog down a hallway! I bought a D125 and when I used it for the 1st time, both pins sheared at the roll pins. I did attach the backhoe outriggers, but they still broke. Do you have any ideas on making the QT fit better? Has anyone had pins snap?
I've got a 90 Case 1945c with the 1st gen QT. I broke several locking pins over the year, hand attachments fall off and the handles never really worked well. Case dealer said they couldn't even get parts for that front end. So I decided to fix the handles and pins myself. I redesigned them to operate more like the newer front ends. They now work great, easy to throw and lock solid and haven't broken since. I'll post some pics later if you are interested.
Very interested in pics. The 1st gen quick tach was a bad design.
You should contact your dealer and ask for the mod program sheets for the 1845c that pertains to the quick coupling. The dealer should be able to confirm if any of the upgrades were done to your machine by s/n. You are looking for the info on UO188 which was the coupler and attachment mod kits and the U0288 which upgraded or repaired the latch mechanism, skid plate kit to protect the wedges, and the next kit was to replace the entire coupler which had to be approved by a service rep. The backhoes did not require any mod, but early attachments needed some of the kits to tighten things up. Granted these programs ran out around 06/89 but there is some good info to tighten things up. Hearing that the bucket was welded on the coupling I would check to see if the mod was done, or coupler was replaced just to know. The last thing I would want is to have a attachment come loose and damage or hurt someone. If after repairs are done and you still have issues and was going to keep the machine I would look into replacing the coupler with the newest one made for that machine model.
Interesting info sheepfoot. Thanks. Last time I talked to my dealer they didn't mention anything about any of that stuff. They were of the opinion that the 1st gen QTs were just a bad design and that it wasn't worth messing with them or trying to fix them. They suggested that I just get one of the newest design quick tach coupler for my machine. Of course it came with a $2500 price tag. That just didn't make sense for me. My machine is for personal use, mostly snow plowing. So I set out to figure out how to fix it myself. Here's the original handles: I decided there were 2 main problems with that design. 1) lateral forces bend the shaft where the pin attachs. The metal fatigues and the pins break. 2) the upper linkage has a lot of slop making the handles very difficult to throw. Especially with bent pins. So here's what I did. 1) Added a second pivot point right at the top of the pin. This eliminates any bending. 2) But it also allows you to get rid of all the sloppy linkage at the top too. Solving both problems. 3) As an added bonus, lever throw effort is greatly reduced since it doesn't ride inside the guide track anymore. Top handle is new design. Bottom handle is old. You can see how bent the old lower pin is in this pic: Finally here's a pic of it installed back in the coupler. It take 1 finger to throw the levers now. I used to have to stand on them. I haven't broken a pin in the last 5 years, they still work flawlessly and I no longer drop attachments. Cost me an afternoons work and $20 for a couple new springs/washers/bolts.
The D125 Backhoe attachment for the Uniloader application came with two turnbuckle lock downs and 2 hook shaped brackets that bolt (3 bolts each) to the frame of the machine. When the Backhoe is attached it MUST BE locked to the machine frame or it WILL RUIN the tilt cylinders AND the bucket coupler. The bucket attaching coupler IS NOT STRONG ENOUGH to handle this attachment without the attaching kit! Regardless, you still need the new style bucket coupler! The original never did work. DO NOT expect to get this coupler for the 1999 price on the diagram!!!
Awesome information, thank you!!! My bucket just popped off while plowing snow. Pins don't pert rude far enough through the original bucket. Horrible design! I will call the case dealer tomorrow, but can't really afford a new coupler right now.
just did this to mine before spending $1000+ on a new one